Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sun Tach gremlins...Anybody had this problem?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by powrshftr, Jun 7, 2014.

1. powrshftr

powrshftr

Hi Guys,
    I was hoping somebody else has had this problem,and that maybe I just made a simple error during installation.
    I've got an old Sun tach with the narrow sweep dial (160 degrees or so?).I will post some pictures of it later today to show exactly which model it is.
    Anyway,the problem is,it will read nice and accurate at idle,and it will read up to 3000 rpm,then it just kind of goes into spasms after it gets to 3 grand.....the needle will not go over three grand unless its just in quick twitches.

It did this when I still had the Accel points distributor,and its doing it now with theMSD stuff too.

I bought the MSD tach adaptor kit,but have not installed it yet,because I think its definitely a problem with the tach.
    It's in really nice shape visually,but this problem is driving me nuts,as I need to get the car working properly for the Meltdown!

Any thoughts,advice,related experience,or assistance would really help me out at this point.

Thanks a bunch,

Scott

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

2. OldColt

OldColt

I've experienced a similar problem with a full sweep Sun Tachometer and an old MSD5 box. Mine went totally erratic over 7000 RPM. Problem turned out to be point bounce. It wasn't enough to hear a miss, but the tach would go wacky. Modifying the points for more spring pressure to the dizzy lobes solved the problem.

--- Steve ---

3. powrshftr

powrshftr

Thanks oldcolt,but I'm still not sure what's happening,as I went from a points distributor and no Msd box,to an electronic Msd distributor and 6AL box....I'm thinking the tach might be fucky, or is it possible I have a 6cyl tach or something screwy?

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. gas pumper

gas pumper

I've had and have similar issues with multiple tachs and two distributors and with or with out a high output ignition system. In my case I believe it is interference from the ignition wires since that is all that has been a constant. And I have not changed wires.

5. You dont say which transmitter box you are using...an 8 cyl 12 volt uses a EB-9 box

6. powrshftr

powrshftr

This one doesn't use a box.....at least the guy at Carlisle swap meet 20 yrs ago didn't think it did...

Here's a picture of the tach:
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402160001.157291.jpg

Scott

7. powrshftr

powrshftr

You may be onto something with the wires.....?I will try to borrow another set to test.

Thanks,

Scott

8. Dont take the sellers word for it...Call Williamsons in Chester,Arkansa,,From the face it says its a ST-602...model #
    so may be for a 6 cyl...
    Williamson Instruments...Best restorer of old Sun Tachs

9. powrshftr

powrshftr

Thanks!I will give them a call bright and early Monday morning.

I'd rather get this one repaired or updated than get a new one.This thing has a ton of character.:)

Scott

10. Muttley

Muttley

Absolutely. I had an old Sun Blue Line converted by them 5 years ago, I would recommend them to anyone.

11. kuhn1941

kuhn1941

I did have the tach jump problem before when I changed an engine in a vehicle . Turned out the new spark plugs I put in were bad , I installed ngk's then the problem gone . I was shocked and suprised . Goodluck

12. powrshftr

powrshftr

Hey guys,
    Thanks for all the replies.Its crazy how temperamental electronics can be.
    Sending the tach out bright and early Monday morning,hopefully get it back way before the Meltdown:)

Scott

13. powrshftr

powrshftr

Left a message with them this morning.....we'll see how it goes:)

Scott

14. powrshftr

powrshftr

Sent the tach out yesterday to Williamson's.
    Talked to Ron for a few minutes on the phone before sending.
    What a great guy,both as a craftsman,and a human being.

Can't wait to get the finished product back,and try it out on the car!

Scott

15. 56shoebox

56shoebox

What does Ron think the problem is? Did he verify on the phone that it is indeed a 8 cylinder tach and not a 6, as suspected earlier in the postings?

16. powrshftr

powrshftr

Shoebox:
    Ron's concern was mainly that the movement would need to be replaced,as the points ignition the tach was designed for operated on a square wave,whereas the electronic Msd unit and distributor operate on a peaked wave.
    The problem was happening while I still had a points distributor and no Msd though,so I will mention it to Ron.
    It will be interesting to see what he finds when he pulls it apart.

Scott

17. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

As we speak, Ron is doing a conversion on a tach and sun transmitter box also. He gave me a generious amount of time on the phone to make sure I was getting exactly what I needed. I am so glad there are still guys in these specialty fields that take the time to work with the customer.

powrshftr likes this.
  18. Ole don

Ole don

I hate to say it outright, but I dont think those tachometers are very good. I ran one for years, and it seemed very accurate. When on a long trip though, after driving eight to ten hours, it lost accuracy. It seemed to get hot after that long, and not from the sun. It would gradually loose RPMs at the same cruising speed. The next day, it would start out fine, then after about four PM, it would loose RPMs again. A switch to a Auto Meter tach solved the problem.

19. I thought my tach was getting erratic over 7,000 rpm once. Turns out it was just all the chunks of connecting rod flying through my oilpan.

powrshftr likes this.
  20. powrshftr

powrshftr

Ole Don:
    With Ron completely changing out the movement in the thing,it's gonna be a brand new tach in a nice looking vintage case anyway.

And with 4.56 gears,I can't see myself taking many trips with this thing that last 4 hours.....hoping for more like 12 seconds!;)

Scott

21. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

I had Williamson's do 2 old Sun tachs last year. Very nice people.

22. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Were you using a sun transmitter box than ran on batteries? The new converted style is powered by consistant 12v.

23. powrshftr

powrshftr

Should have the tach back,and on the car within a week....Will post an update when I get it installed for a test drive.

Scott

24. powrshftr

powrshftr

Tach is on the way back,Ron did a TON of extra work at zero extra cost to me....Fantastic guy,just don't expect him to sit around and chit chat on the phone,he has work to do....lol

Scott

25. powrshftr

powrshftr

Got it back today,and it is absolutely beautiful!

Taking it out to try it tomorrow night:)
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1409098268.975751.jpg

Scott

Muttley likes this.