Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody from Pomona remember this gasser?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gup, Dec 16, 2008.

1. 37 Coupe

37 Coupe

Shoulda kept the Honda 50 :)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. 5w32

5w32

shoulda keep lots of iron! the ct70 is nice but not as good as the 50(but the 70 has a bigger stove)

3. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

How much horsepower did the new engine make?

Looking forward to see what your gasser can run with some more power.

4. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

What is your schedule for running the beast this year? Hope you will keep up up to date.

Have great summer with it.

5. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

What is your schedule for running the beast this year? Hope you will keep up up to date.

Have great summer with it.

6. 5w32

5w32

we didn't run it on the dyno, but it is approx. 650hp , bakersfield or bust in october

7. OldColt

OldColt

With modern tires and that much horsepower, the old gal may drop a full second from back in the day. :D

Hat's off to 'ya 5w32 for bringing a historical gasser back, and making Mr. Hunt & his shop class students very happy to boot. If there are computers in heaven,
    hopefully Mr. Hunt can still follow this wonderful thread.

--- Steve ---

8. 5w32

5w32

I' surprised that Royce and Larry are the only ones so far that have turned up any old photos..... Come on road agents !!! Keep looking!!! Any club memorabilia?photos?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. 5w32

5w32

Well this is not cool, all loaded up in the trailer and got about halfway to the Sleepy Hollow car show and SCDR drags at the Sechelt airport on the Sunshine coastand my tow vehicle started acting up! Thats how it goes sometimes!!!! The Stude is safe and sound in the trailer at my good buddies shop and the truck is waiting to get fixed. Thanks for the storage Luke.

10. I can't wait to see it at the CHRR!

Sam

11. greybeard360

greybeard360

I had startd another thread yesterday asking about this car and someone directed me here. I have been sitting here all morning reading it.... man did it bring back memories. I was in Royce's class in 1971 (senior year) and have wondered for a long time what happened to the car and Royce. I was not directly involved with the car but I remember going to the track to see it run, watched and learned as Royce did the trick panel paint using a torch to add the smoke to it when they painted it blue. I even drew a picture of the car and gave it to him.... he had some T shirts made with it !!

Royce was pretty laid back and his teaching style was like no other teacher I ever had. It was always like one on one when he would show us how to do things.

I was reading with great interest and was getting all giddy just seeing and reading about the car and was overwhelmed when I saw Royce chime in. But then as I kept reading and read about his passing, my heart sunk.

R.I.P Royce.... you touched a lot more people than you will ever know.

12. OldColt

OldColt

I'm really happy that you found this thread Greybeard. It sounds like Mr. Hunt was a really special teacher and person. We had a shop teacher at our high school in Donelson, Tennessee named Mr. Hunt also. He was cool and laid back and drove a fully restored 1937 Dodge PU Truck with some of his custom work on it to school every day.

--- Steve ---

13. 5w32

5w32

Hey greybeard...was that your drawing with Yosemity sam riding the car? Do you have any old photos or memorabilia ?

14. greybeard360

greybeard360

I didn't do Yosemite.... I used to have one of the tee shirts until about 20 years ago, finally wore it out... LOL

Ben trying to think if the things I remember about the car. Royce was always getting things donated to try on the car. There were several different carb/manifolds that were tried... inclusing a 3bbl Holley IIRC. But I think the combo that worked the best was a (marine?) low rise with the thermoquad.

I used to have a few photos from back in Pomona (including some pics of cars I did the lettering on) but they went the way of my race car.... the divorce gods took them.

15. 5w32

5w32

well, its taken a few years but i finally found and bought the issue of Lions Drag Scoop magazine that the car was in. turns out it's the sept 1972 issue. all Royce had was a photo of the page the car was shown on(2 photos) so we had no idea what issue or year it was.

Attached Files:

16. 5w32

5w32

page 35 of drag scoop

Attached Files:

17. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

What a thread. I happened upon this from your wheelie bar inquiry - I saw the picture you posted in that thread and remembered seeing it in the latest issue of Hot Rod Deluxe.

I too had a real cool shop teacher back in the day. Royce sounded like a real great Man. Rest In Peace Royce.

Cant wait to hear that new Olds run!

18. 5w32

5w32

i will not be attending this years california hot rod reunion.....

19. Grumbler

Grumbler

What a fantastic story this thread! I live in Roberts Creek on the Sunshine Coast, what a shame that didn't work out. The Sleepy Hollow Rod Run was the biggest ever, 414 cars and the crowds were incredible on the route. Worlds longest street party!
    The weather for the rod run on Friday and show on Saturday was hot and sunny but the airport drags Sunday were rained out. I'm a member of the SCDRA and also love the mighty 455, have one in my OT.
    If your planning on attending next year and need a place to park your stuff I have two and a half acres, just sayin.........

20. 5w32

5w32

thanks Grumbler, i did make it to the show in Sechelt but without the car! i have a place on the coast as well...just past Secret Cove. i would love to hook up with you on the coast or next time you are near Panorama ridge in Surrey...give me a call for a garage tour!
    Steve

21. 5w32

5w32

Merry Christmas . may you all find good hot rod parts under the tree!

22. AHotRod

AHotRod

Hows the new Mondello engine run?

23. 5w32

5w32

i am working out of town for 6 months..all my car life is on hold. the engine is still on the stand and ready to drop in.

...i might sell the car if one of the Road Agents is interested , or a buyer who will take good care of the "old girl" as Royce used to say.

24. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

Any updates?

25. 5w32

5w32

the car is going to a serious collector in Calgary , he is also buying my 40 Ford coe flatdeck truck....more to follow......

26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

This has been a really great thread, 5w32.

27. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

Is this a good thing?

I am surprised that after all of the work that you put into this revival project that you didn't get it to run as quick as you had hoped.

Fill us in on the details, please.

28. 5w32

5w32

I am 60 years old and have been into cars all my life (i have owned well over 200 cars) and this "Great Balls o Fire" car adventure has been the most interesting and fullfilling of all bar none. Meeting Royce Hunt and becoming great friends was lots of fun and entertaining to say the least and when he passed on to Hot Rod Heaven it really took the wind out of my sails with "the old girl" as Royce called her. Thank you to all who have supported me with the Stude and her return to life.The Stude and my 40 Ford cabover are being sold now to fulfill another car fantasy of mine....1963 Corvette coupe, 327/340hp, silver on black. photos to follow after the new owner takes delivery.

29. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

That makes sense to me. I'm sure that Mr. Hunt's passing was a heavy blow to you after meeting and getting to know him.

Hopefully the new owner will appreciate the "old girl" half as much as you have!

30. 5w32

5w32

"the old girl" will be in good hands , the new owner is very passionate about the car, i hope he will continue this thread.