Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Jay's Hot Rod: AV8 Pickup Build Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Junk Hunter, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Glad to hear!

Posted via telegraph.

2. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Yeah leave it there.. I put this on about a year ago and since then ive stripped the chrome repainted it. chrome was to much. I also was thinking of painting it the same color as the car but its already on... looks good dude!

3. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Thanks Lucky. Love the roadster..

4. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

BTW - The pickup is pretty much at a standstill right now. I've been going through a divorce and have a lot of stuff to work through before I can start thinking about hot rods again. Not to worry...I'm not loosing truck and I'll be back at it once the smoke clears...better than ever.

5. daddio211

daddio211

6. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Sitting...Patiently waiting for the smoke to clear from the divorce A Bomb.

I got a few minutes last night to hang out in the shop and dream about finishing the truck...I can't wait to get back to work on this thing.

[​IMG]

7. And we can't wait to see more updates.
    It looks really good so far!

8. Elrod

Elrod

Yeah man. Looking good! The world will get back to normal soon. Hang in there buddy!

9. andyg

andyg

Are you going on the Hotrod One Hundred rod run on the 19th with me? I may have a roadster that needs to be driven but I can't promise it will be ready!!! I'm driving the 39 I think. Call me. Your truck looks killer by the way!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. chataf

chataf

Did you ever find out more about these headlights? I just picked up a set in with an 8BA and other stuff and I don't know anything about them. They say Arrow 775H and they have the jeweled marker on top.

Sent from my VS930 4G using H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. jamesd1502

jamesd1502
    from san diego

BITCHN build...

12. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Nope, I haven't really researched them any further. They are wicked cool though! If you decide you want to sell yours, let me know. I would like to have another set for a '29 coupe I'm building after the pickup is done.

13. chataf

chataf

I'm ready to sell, ill send you some pictures later if you would like.

Sent from my VS930 4G using H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Come on with the updates! Is this thing kicking up dirt and rocks yet? :)

15. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

That would be cool. Shoot me a PM.

16. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Pickup update coming soon..real soon.

17. seatex

seatex

Freakin' awesome build, keep the updates coming when life isn't in the way. Sorry about the D, it can be rough on a fella....

18. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

So, I've been kinda out of it for a while. First I got sick to the point that I thought I wasn't going to make it..seriously, I thought I was going to die. Then, in the middle of trying to deal with my mortality, the wife decides it's time for her to leave. Now that's all behind me and I've gotten progressively better since.

Anyway, with this new found health I've started getting out 'junk hunting' again. Went to an awesome auction 3 hours from home in Claremore, OK yesterday and came home with a trailer load of early Ford stuff...Felt really, really good to be physically able to get out on the road and do that kind of stuff again...especially when not too long ago I thought those days were over.

But the big news, as far as this thread is concerned is this: A local guy and I have been trading phone calls for a few months about buying some old Ford stuff he has. I was really only interested in a '40 toploader trans he had that I wanted as a spare for my pickup. Up until recently I had been too sick to care about it much, but this week I gave him another call and went to his place to check it all out. Among other things, he's got a '40 Ford PU that he is turning into a street rod. This pickup had already been a cool little running and driving hot rod..(I wouldn't have changed a thing). It had had a 283 SBC with the Ford toploader mated to it..and backing it all up was the nicest Columbia 2 speed rear end I've ever seen...complete from drum to drum, torque tube, radius rods, and controls. Long story short, he wanted all the 'old' stuff gone and I ended up making a package deal and buying about everything he had...including the '40 Columbia rear.

At the time it bought everything, I had it in mind that I was going to resell the Columbia, but the more I think about it, the more I think it might be a nice piece of 'badassery' to put under my pickup. I had planned to put a high gear in the rear to make highway driving more tolerable but had planned to do it with a quickchange eventually...but the idea of an OD gear sounds really good. What do you guys think? Columbia or quickchange?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  19. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

The Kid (Jay) trying out the feel of the drivers seat this weekend....scary stuff.

118.JPG

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    cadillacoffin likes this.
  20. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Columbia..

Quickie..

Columbia..

Quickie..

Flip a coin and get that thing driving. :)

21. Can't go wrong either way. I'd rather have the columbia. speaking of which...if you want to sell it...:)

22. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

It amazes me how small a world it is...I was at Bob's auction all day also. Of course there is no way to recognize someone you've never seen before, but it would have been nice to put a face to a name.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

We did meet Larry...it's just that neither one of us knew it. I was the guy in the Austin Speed Shop T-shirt...and you were the guy that bought the '32 dash. Haha! You're right..it is a small world.

24. Todd M.

Todd M.

I really like the placement of the horn, may I suggest give it some patina to match the rest of the build. The cover can be done in copper then scuff up a bit, the weather would do the rest. Just a thought. The fuel block would look great on opposite side to even out the firewall. Great build, I'm following!

25. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Throw a pic of yourself on here...I can't remember every whipper snapper I meet. :)

26. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Memory is the first thing to go sometimes.:) We talked after I tried to win the '32 cowl against the guy that bought up all the '32 stuff.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  27. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

What's that old saying...Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
    Yeah, I seem to recall that ugly mug. ;)

28. Effin awesom! Any pics of the outside of the shop? I am thinking of building a nice little shop like that for my Model A.

29. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Thanks! This is the best pic of the shop that I can find. Disregard the roadster...unfortunately it found a new home.

100_4855.JPG