Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene Winfield custom found

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by cabong, Dec 27, 2013.

1. raymay

raymay

Lovin the tail end of this beauty. Good choice on the lights.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Torchie

Torchie

Here is a photoshoped pic from an earlier post about the spears. I liked them then but that was with out the chrome trim that's on the quarters now.
    Torchie.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Thanks, Torchie!

Now if we could get two new side pics with the quarter trim installed (with and without the spears)...

4. It'll be dicey with much more chrome on the flanks without something in front as a balance, but here are the two choices discussed earlier:

In da scoop...
    [​IMG]

on da hump...
    [​IMG]

Anything else might look heavy-handed? :)

Dave

5. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

I like the spears in the upper position. They blend in with the bustle below and give a nice flow. In the lower position they stand out and make the bustle jump out at me. My thoughts. This car is really coming together. Love it.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

I dig em on the down low

Sent from my SPH-L710 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Now that the main side trim is installed, I think the spears need to go in the scoop. It creates a nice forward thrust.

IMHO, putting the spears on the bulge -- in conjunction with the vertical portion of the main trim -- tends to create an undesirable vertical emphasis that splits the car in two. Not good. That's ironic, because without the main trim, I had preferred the spears on the bulge!

8. Torchie

Torchie

Thanks for the pics Dave. I still think that with the main trim in place it could be done with out the spears. Having said that, I am confident that what ever cabong and Leland decide will be great. They haven't made a mis- step yet on this old girl.
    Torchie.

9. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

10. cabong

cabong

We're working like crazy to complete this puppy in time to take it to the LA Roadsters Run next month, and to have a get together here with Leland and all his car guy friends here. The upholstery is going in slowly by jerks. Those pesky little things. It never has had carpet installed since all the mods were done back in the mid fifties. I purchased a kit by ACC, in Royal purple. Ironically, it matches the dash and moldings, and seats, and exterior color perfectly. But, remember, every inch of the inside sheet metal, as well as the outside, has been modified. The frame was "C'd" in the rear, so the tunnel was raised inside to clear the driveshaft. Get the point??? The rear portion of the carpet is not wide enough to work with the new tunnel, and extend to the sill plates. Not to worry, young Brandon, upholsterer extraordinaire, will come to the rescue. He just doesn't know it yet. Pictures to follow tomorrow.

11. cabong

cabong

Just a note of interest......The picture to the left is of Ak Miller, whom I miss dearly, on his way to victory at Pikes Peak in 1963. That 1800 pound "custom" was powered by the new 427 Ford mill with a T-10 and Corvette IRS. That's back when men were men!!!!!!!!!

12. LARS is only a couple of weeks away! Hope you make and hope to see you there.

13. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

LOL How true!!

14. Torchie

Torchie

Hey Cabong. What's going on????

15. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Ditto. I don't want to wear you out with requests for status updates, but the suspense is killing me!

I hope all's well with all of the players in this incredible story.

16. cabong

cabong

Sorry guys, my California trip got me all discumbuberated......Nick and I have been at it every chance we get. As usual, nothing goes back together quite the same as it came apart. We've been installing the interior, and realize that it never was really completed. The carpet kit rear is too narrow, due to "C'ing" and raising of the tunnel. I did not realize that the sill plates are different on the converts, from side to side. But.....it's coming together. Righjt now the critter is at Travis' shop git'n the jams done, prior to new door seals. The top is being repaired from Leland's trip through the garage door, and I'm pulling what's left of my out by the roots trying to make hubcaps work. I again forgot what a pain in the butt early Chev wheels are when it comes to full size wheel covers. What I did is a surprise, for me too. Pictures to follow later tonight.........Leland is well, and Margene is getting her second knee replacement on the 3rd. She's quite the trooper!!!!!!

17. Torchie

Torchie

Glad that all is well cabong. That last mile is always the hardest. Keep at it.
    Torchie.

18. cabong

cabong

Seems we have about a week to go before heading to LA. We should be substantially complete. The top will be ready later this week. We had to wait for the correct material to patch a small tear. Actually, patch is not really the correct term. The panel below the rear window had a small split, so the entire panel is being remade by "Brandon the magnificent". He is currently making Nick's 40 Plymouth sedan delivery have the scent of leather on the inside. The topless temptress just got back from Travis' shop, having the jambs painted. I thought we could get away with leaving them the interior color, but it just didn't look right. We also installed the carpet, royal purple, and new sill plates. Man!!!! what a difference. This jewel is beginning to shine.

may3 side chev 004.JPG may3 side chev 006.JPG may3 side chev 007.JPG

19. Squablow

Squablow

The exterior looks beautiful all reassembled, very nice job.

20. cabong

cabong

Hopefully the front seat will be in tonight, and the correct steering wheel. The side shot is a bit of an illusion. It appears to have quite a "rake", but the squeeze from the front fenders to the area just behind the doors simply makes it look that way. Actually, the rocker is about 1" higher in the back, so 1-1/2" lowering blocks also go in tonight, if all goes well. '49 to '52 Chevy's have a natural slope, from the front fenders to the rear fenders. They need to have this design feature maintained. The Titans of Taildraggers have deemed this mandatory, and so it shall be. Brad the "Sultan of Stainless" was kind enough to put some shine back on to the windshield uprights, and it makes all the difference in the world. Between those and the header stainless on the top, the front of this luscious lid is absolutely mind blowing. Remember, all the major mods were done between 1954 and 1956. I am totally in awe of what Leland and Gene came up with.

21. Torchie

Torchie

Looks Beautiful cabong!
    We know that you guys are really at it right now so thanks for posting.
    From the peanut gallery......
    Torchie.

22. Beautiful
    I wish I was going to the roadster show to see it in person

23. Thats just tits. no other way to say it.

24. cabong

cabong

Okay, a few more teasers. It's really coming together now....I stopped and chatted with Leland for a couple hours this morning. He's doing well, and looks good. I figured I'd only be there for a few minutes, so I didn't take my camera. Dumb!!!! Anyway, I showed him the postings to date, and it brought a tear, to us both. He really is a classy dude!!!! The interior is almost done...famous last words......These pictures are a little strange, as the seat and door panel material actually has more color than shows up, and matches the 'burple" fine...... may 3 interior 007.JPG may 3 interior 006.JPG may 3 interior 003.JPG may 3 interior 001.JPG

25. Sweet. Between "Brandon the magnificent", Titans of Taildraggers, and the "Sultan of Stainless", not to mention Leland the Legend, you have the Kustom Super Heroes all on the team!

26. Nice, nice, nice! And... while I'm here, after seeing the latest images, I don't think those "spears" that were contemplated would add anything to the look. JMHO.

Great job fellers!!
    Dave

27. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

wow.... sweet.

-W

28. Torchie

Torchie

There you have it !!!!!!
    Torchie.

29. cabong

cabong

Interior is pretty much done. Both doors complete including seals. Just a little detailing inside to do. The mill picked up a miss, but that should not be a big deal, and the underhood area needs to be cleaned up. The tailpipes need to be altered and the lowering blocks added. Not much time left, but I think we can pull it off....We are anxiously awaiting a call from Brandon with news on the top piece, so that we can install the lid. Then you're gonna crap. garooonteeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30. sub006

sub006

Bring the finished car and Gene W to the nursing home, then give Leland and his lady a ride.

I didn't mind the painted bumper (duck!).