Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 36 ford custom build (MISS SCARLET)

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by kippers 34, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Thanks for the compliments. She's moving along quite quickly at the moment.

2. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

This is a great build and the car is coming out really nice. It makes me really excited to work on my '35, but with a new baby in house I'm not getting much done. I like what you did with that cowl seam. That seam seams so unfinished from the factory.

3. daddio211

daddio211

Got my Rodder's Journal in the mail today and at first glance I thought your car got featured!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. I WISH!!!! I havent got my R J yet. interested to see what you thought was my 36.

5. tevintage

tevintage

Daddio is referring to Bill G's restoration of the Pierson Bros. Coupe. TB

daddio211 likes this.
  6. Thanks tevintage.My Rodders Journal finely came today. The pierson brothers coupe looks awesome. Cant wait to see her in paint.

7. daddio211

daddio211

As much as I love history, I really prefer your coupe to the Pierson's.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. telekenfun

telekenfun

Come on Kipp, we're waiting to see yours in color. How soon? I just spent the last week cutting and buffing mine. More of the "Zen" of hot rodding. We may make Speed Week after all.

9. I have been finishing and powder coating lots of parts lately but haven't stopped to post since the format change. Apparently my pictures dident make the change I will have to try and fix that later.

10. [​IMG]

After pulling the engine I spent an entire day sanding on the block I prepped and painted it. The heads , manifold and timing cover are off to be polished. They should be back this week then engine assembly can begin.

11. I took the 39 Lincoln front backing plates and added air scoops to them. After modifying a set of ford scoops to fit I drilled a ton of small holes for inlet and for air to escape. After I powder'd them black.
    [​IMG]

12. I powdered the scoop's black then sanded and polished the sides and top of the fin's.
    [​IMG]

13. With the scoop's polished and mounted the brake's are ready to be assembled.
    [​IMG]

14. I also ground the crackes in the steering then wheel epoxie and painted it. After color sanding and installing the new chrome it is ready to install.
    [​IMG]

15. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Right on kip! So stoked for you!. I'm in hell right now tying in the tail pan and trunk pieces.final assembly is my favorite!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Good luck on the tailpan nate they're a bitch sometimes. Wish I was totally into final assembly but I had to do something but block sand for a while. I will get back to bodywork after powdering the frame.

17. telekenfun

telekenfun

Kipp, Nice job on that steering wheel, what else did you have to do to fit it to your column? Your usual attention to detail also shows on those backing plates, they look gorgeous enough to look good on a fenderless car. Your car is becoming the "build standard" for us 36 Ford Hambers.
    Best regards and Good Luck with all your endeavors, KB.

18. dgg-dt1948

dgg-dt1948

Any updates? Love the build!

19. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Wow Kip, I have not been on here in a while and its looking great! Love the front brakes.

20. Thanks Guy's. I have been moving along pretty good but slacking on the updates. I will get some pic's up this weekend.

21. with the body off of the frame I decided to finish the fab on the frame and powdercoat it. I still needed to change the steering box mount so I can run my 39 box so I removed the rivets and the bracket. Then I took a bracket from the 40 frame( that I used to make the body cart ) and removed it.
    After blasting the bracket is ready to be mounted to the frame.

22. One of the frame braces was rotted on the bottom so I cut the bottom lip off.
    A new lip formed and welded in place.
    The retainer's on the rear spring were a little to close to the flattened crossmember and I wes worried they would rub on travel of the spring so I cut a notch out of the cross member.
    I made covers and welded them over the notch. Now I have an extra 1/4" of clearance so I don't worry about rubbing with spring travel.
    After I prepped the top I flipped the frame on the cart and finished prepping the bottom.

23. Nice Kipp.Good to see you´re still in buisiness, have missed the updates:)

24. I reblasted the frame, sanded the frame again, hung it on a cart, and then washed it. Now it is ready to be powdered. I took the frame and put it in the oven and heated it to 450 degrees for half an hour then I pulled it out to be powdered.
    Shooting the frame hot allowes more powder to stick and flow into pits and blemishes. If not careful to much powder will build and you can get runs, sags, etc so it is a fine line between a little extra and to much. I powdered just the outside of the frame rails. Then I sanded the frame with 220 on the da to work as a filler primer then I rewashed the powdered the whole frame over.

25. Thanks Keneth. I have missed updates on your's as well. Hope all is good with the 36 and the move.

26. Thanks for asking Kipp, yes everything is ok but a whole lot more work to do than I expected.Doing the final painting of the shop this week and then there´s some lights and electrical sockets to install then I think I´m all done and can go back on the 36.Naeh allmost forgott The wifie needs a new kitchen and bathroom but I´ll try to sneak out in the shop every now and then.