Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 Chevy (South East Gasser) "The Vagabond"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bean Dip, Nov 27, 2013.

1. UK Slingshot

UK Slingshot

YEAH. Play toys. Always nice to find.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Yes sir! I enjoy seeing those brown boxes show up. Last weeks delivery was smaller but fun none the less. I had ordered a copy of "Funny Car Summer" a few months back (also back ordered) and it finally found its way to my mailbox. Good movie!

3. CGkidd

CGkidd

How are the new toys working out?

4. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Well, I haven't exactly got to toy with them too much yet CG. I found out pretty quick if you have a tig welder you really need a welding table as well. Kinda hard working the pedal when your on your knees in the floor of your garage. I had a good bit of metal lying about so I built myself a welding table yesterday. Plan on cleaning out my garage tomorrow because it's so dirty I honestly can't even find some of my tools now...it's embarrassing. I just have so little time I would rather work than clean, but enough is enough. After I get the place looking better I will post up some pictures of my table and hopefully start getting some practice in with the tig. I like it though, man is it quiet and clean!

5. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Here is my welding table. Nothing fancy and fairly easy to move around.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401071628.914926.jpg

Look at the shit I pulled out of
    My garage!!!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401071707.646674.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401071733.683067.jpg

If you can't make out the lame ass name on the car it's "Sucker Punch".... I won't elaborate but I should get some kind of reward for rescuing this car from the previous owner...seriously.

Few pics of it out of the garage and in daylight. It's going to sit much lower than this but you can see how the scoop is going to look better in these pics. Can't wait to ditch the front wheels. Matter of fact I have all kinds of parts I'm looking to sale including all the window glass and perfect chromed rear bumper plus much more. Pm me if your close and interested. I'll place a partial list and will also start listing here on the HAMB classifieds and elsewhere.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401072356.663781.jpg

Nice fuel cell ..also selling the little 2.5 gallon moon tank you have seen laying around in many pics.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401072390.294691.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401072176.065919.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401072198.542273.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401072236.481080.jpg

Look!..,its not a shitbox anymore!!!!!!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401072272.300010.jpg

Attached Files:

6. Butch M

Butch M

cool looking table now I know where to get some welding done

7. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

LOL! Thanks Butch. I still plan on coming your way once this car gets lined out. I ain't forgot!

8. Butch M

Butch M

that will be cool get that bad boy done

9. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

First attempts at tig welding EVER tonight. Tell me what I need to do better fellas. I was trying different things on these strings and so they are a bit inconsistent but overall what do you think?

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401331664.873550.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401331680.435643.jpg

10. powrshftr

powrshftr

In the first picture,the top ones look the best of the bunch,with the heat almost right,and your speed just about right on the money.
    The lower ones look too cold,and you were moving too fast,as the weld bead looks more like its laying on top of the parent metal,with little penetration,and it looks a lot less like a "stack of dimes".

You had it pretty close on those top ones.
    Just try to do a couple things:

-weld as hot as you can on any given metal (it will either sag through on thin stuff if you are way too hot,or splatter everywhere on thick stuff,so the metal will kind of tell you what it wants sometimes)

- take your time,and don't fight it.Watch the puddle,and get into your rhythm of circle,dab,circle,dab....and just let it flow nice and easy,and be there to help it along when you need to.

You're getting the hang of it pretty quick Brother!
    What's the next big TIG project?Headers or cage?

You're doing a great job man.Cant wait to see that beast punish some tires!:D

Scott

11. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Okay my fellow HAMBonians...here is a "short" list of things I am selling. Sorry, but my little Moon tank has already sold. I have also sold a set of slotted front runners.

Steel front clip with hood and grill for 56 Chevy
    Glove box lid 56 chevy
    Chromed rear bumper Very Nice
    rear view mirror ditto
    powder coated Hooker BBC fender well headers (one primary has a big ding in it from previous moron owner)
    Deck Lid great
    All the window glass (front, back and sides)
    BBC engine mounts
    American Torque Thrusts in perfect condition 15x4.5 (5x4 3/4 pattern)
    American Torque Thrusts perfect condition 15X10 (5x5 pattern)
    ET Gasser fronts perfect condition 15x4.5 (5x 4 3/4 pattern)
    Mickey Thompson Sportsman Pro tires in perfect condition
    fronts: 28x7.50-15LT
    rear: 29X12.5-15LT
    Aluminum Fuel cell with metal tie downs in excellent condition (guessing 10 gallon)
    Aeromotive electric fuel pump and filter
    Dietzen headlamps (look pretty old but cool) I ran them on my T when it was a still a stick car
    Guide stainless headlamps with amber turn indicators (I bought these new when they first started repopping them and were $$$$...I don't expect to receive near as much as I paid for them)

...I have much more, but I can't remember what it is at the moment.
    PM me if your interested in anything. Probably want to act fast because I generally sell pretty cheap. The glass and bigger stuff will need to be picked up because shipping sucks.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  12. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Thanks Scott! I wanted to practice some more, but my table got smoking hot...that and the wife made some "Buddha's"!!!
    Thanks for the advice too. Buddy of mine also said it looked like I was stopping as I added filler wire..he was right of course. I like this TIG stuff though. Soooooooooo clean compared to the MIG flux core that I typically like to use.

I think once I clean up my welds I will likely build the headers first. That's going to be a big project, but one that I'm really looking forward to. Probably going to put all my steering and pedals etc in before I weld up the cage. Decided to buy a tubing bender and bend up the cage myself that way I know it's done how I want it. I believe my next project will be fixing that fiberglass front clip then moving on to the body work. I don't know anything about fiberglass or body work beyond welding in patches (LOTS of patches)...should be a party!!?

13. powrshftr

powrshftr

That's awesome!
    I've been looking at tubing benders myself,for when I do the model A,so get ready for me to interrogate you on what you do and don't like about the one you pick.
    Your car is definitely a favorite of a lot of guys on the HAMB.I know get all giddy every time I see an update! :D

Scott

14. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Man that's a nice thought to have about my car. Well, I'm doing everything I can to make it special and I'm thrilled that others are enjoying it too.
    I have decided that I want to make it a match race only car. Bad thing about that is I'm not going to be able to share my et's with everybody. The astute folks will have a pretty fair idea what it's turning though. Hopefully I will get to meet up with you at next years Meltdown Drags.

15. powrshftr

powrshftr

And hopefully I will have the blown stroker Hemi motor in the coupe by then,and we can bang some gears on the track!:)

Scott

16. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Deal!!

17. powrshftr

powrshftr

Isn't that gonna be a sight to behold!?!?:D

Scott

18. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Sho' will be bubba!

19. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Dug out some 1/4" plate and cranked up the juice and just as I almost have it dialed in a start throwing my breaker. Happened on each of these 3 passes...I need an electrician!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401556486.306594.jpg

Guess I'lll get some thinner metal and try again on lower amperage until Mr. Fixit shows up.
    Well that's it for TIG attempt #2

20. Keep at it John, looking good! You really do have a lot of crap in that garage. I hope you have a couple of fire extinguishers! What aeromotive pump you got?.I might want it.

21. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Thanks Reed! Here is what I have and It costs like $420 new alone. Mine has the fuel pressure gauge installed and you can have it and filter for $250
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401722821.368957.jpg
    Aeromotive#027-11202
    A2000 Drag Race Fuel Pump

22. Put my name on it John.

23. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Sure thing Reed.. Thank You!

24. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Started glass work today. Just getting my feet wet since I have never done this before. Removed the lettering too..looks so much better.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402169246.418242.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402169268.057498.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402169299.087696.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402169312.534102.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402169330.756621.jpg

...all for now. Headed out to watch some drag racing. I am going to start working more at night too. Lots of ideas I can't wait to try. Stay tuned..

25. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Didn't use enough hardener on my first attempt and decided to try some bondo glass on it. Poppa like! Some people knock fiberglass ...so far I love the shit!

I hope that if anybody takes anything from this thread it's that you can do anything if you put your mind to it. Don't let any of this stuff scare you guys that may be on the fence about doing it yourself. YouTube is you friend. Yes, there is some bad information there but there is also some awesome tech stuff on there as well. This shit ain't rocket surgery...get off yo azz!
    :D
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402250054.852267.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402250072.482431.jpg

Still needs filler and sanding etc but I think it's satisfactory for now.

Look at the misfitted fender my "body man" created for me. Nice! Gonna sand the valley back into it..recut it and hopefully make it purty..

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402250231.673328.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402250248.442095.jpg

26. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Almost forgot patched hole on other side
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402251522.335324.jpg

27. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Doing this in real time today so if it blows up in my face you'll find out when I do! Haha! No mulligans.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402259524.001427.jpg

About 30 minutes from now we shall see..

28. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Hole on other side revisited with some
    Filler while liberty bell crack cures.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402260349.970291.jpg

29. 53 ford

53 ford

Your tig welding looks good. Practice is all you need. One tip I learned is when you get to the last puddle reverse your motion and sweep the tungsten back thru the puddle. That will eliminate the little crater in the puddle. Practice , Harley

30. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Thanks Harley! I will do that but in my defense my breaker was throwing at the end of those last 3 strings and a
    I actually got my filler rod stuck in the puddle and had to force it out. I do appreciate the tips though and will try it out next go around.