Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Independence

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Independence

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Excellent reading this morning! Good on you Ryan for supporting the independents and writers.

Hopefully print will survive, even in the quarterly/bimonthly independent sphere. I spend all day on a computer, and like to 'unplug' when I get home.
    Besides, nothing beats trying to keep fingerprints off a glossy new issue of TRJ. :D

3. skipstitch

skipstitch

4. Kudos. Great post. You are right in the sense that the suits miss the forest thru the trees. It's akin to having to re-invent the wheel to some, rather than steer the same wheel, with punishing pistons, and flaming metallic flake, drenched form the slobbering smile of the happy wheeler, blazing into the sun. Hence the standing wheeler, scratches his head in the dust wondering just what made the happy wheeler different than his sitting here. WAIT A MINUTE.....this is where I kick it? Maybe.....DOH !! They will never get what made the sunburned memory of burnt hot rodder tick. Just enjoy the smell until it wafts away dreamingly. RIP

5. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

good read Ryan. Hope to see some of the independents selling their wares soon

6. belair

belair

You radical.
    A clear view of the future, combined with a passion for your history.
    Sounds like a recipe for something good.

7. Nice move, Ryan. This will be interesting.

8. Good stuff Ryan!
    I think it's a smart move on your part, it probably won't make a buck, but THAT is the point isn't it? That not everything is about maximum profit?
    Thank you man, for at least trying!

9. RancheroMan

RancheroMan

i got to the end of the post and thought "ryan's going to start an online magazine!"
    new markets will emerge. talent doesnt go wasted for long.

10. Lancer

Lancer

Thank you Sir, for your support of us Indie guys. Hats off to you.

11. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Hell yes! Excellent observations with no pulling of the punches. Funny how when things get dicked up, over-grown and lose the sense of original spirit...they ultimately fail, die off and their decomposing carcasses leave fertile soil for the people who foster the original passion to recreate and revive what the others bastardized and destroyed. You're right...this happens in a lot of arenas...the time is right for the independents to take back what was started by independents decades ago.

general gow likes this.
  12. missysdad1

missysdad1

My thought was more along the lines of, "Oh, shit, Ryan. NOW you've gone an done it!" It WILL be interesting.

But you are right on target when you talk about passion. You are also absolutely correct when you acknowledge that pretty much all the traditional hot rod journalism talent lurks here on the H.A.M.B. - most chosing to remain anonymous.

Hang on, Ryan...and good luck with this new endeavor.

13. C0ra1l1

C0ra1l1

Wise and words, Ryan. One can get trapped in a cycle of depression that breeds despair, but one can also participate in a community whose passion sets in motion a new era of quality Journalism.

Rodshop likes this.
  14. It seems that I remember possibly 10 years ago that you predicted the demise of some of the printed word of magazines that we enjoy on a monthly basis and that if any of the titles we love were to survive they would have to leave their comfort zone and join the online internet magazine forward think mentality.

At that time I really didn't see you as the visionary you are but you saw what me and corporate America didn't see. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. inkstain27

inkstain27

Right on Ryan.
    The Topic of R&C was defiantly discussed multiple time this weekend at the show I was at, and probably at others across the globe. But you sir nailed it.

Looking forward to seeing some of the independent publishers

16. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

17. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

patiently waiting for The Jalopy Journal little pages...:cool:

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

"I’d also like open my own doors to the people that have recently had theirs closed. If you can write your ass off and really love these old cars of ours, holla at your boy – we won’t tie your hands behind your back."

It would be great to get some fresh Journal posts from a few of these under-appreciated writing talents!
    (Uhhh... Does this mean I'm gonna be out of a job soon? ;-)

19. Very well said, Ryan, and a round of applause to you for stepping up and offering up some degree of support for the "indies" going forward. Just as a side note, today, let me repeat that, today, I got in the mail an offer, because I paid up front for a two yr. renewal, to extend my subscription for yet another yr. for $10! The unmitigated nerve of these unrepentant bastards is just mind-boggling. I made a not so friendly call to publisher Angela Schoof informing her of the "offer" with a request for a full refund of my 2 yr. renewal. Of course I had to leave a message and of course I'll never see that money. Sorry for the rant, I'm just still bitter. Yes,we should have all seen it coming. Good luck to all who have been affected far more than my lost money. Hope everyone lands on their feet as I'm sure they will. Once again, a big thumbs up to you, Ryan. It just seems there's very little character and credibility left in this world....Don.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

21. KFC

KFC
    from UK

22. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

great post. Large corporations are sooooo far out of touch, way to much overheard, led by people that were put in positions that really have no business of being there (nepatism and cronyism), and soooo many individuals are done compromising their passions to one-size-fits-all publications.

Peak consolidation........conglomerates are failing, and mom and pop shops are going to fill the void. I can't hardly wait.

23. Whoa! That was pretty powerful from start to finish. It seems like you have a very clear picture of the reasons for the failures and a clear vision for the future. The last three paragraphs clearly illustrate that. The words are so easily read but the ideas behind them are powerful as hell! Go man!

24. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Great post on the 'blog' that I check daily. I can't remember the last time that I looked at the R&C blog or site.....but, I opened the magazine monthly to read it monthly. It sucks that alot of HAMB regulars lost their jobs and hopefully they will move onto better adventures in life.......I'm glad that your reaching out to the 'independent' guys and I look forward to seeing them being sold on the JJ.......maybe you can talk them into selling them at the HAMB Drag Nationals and us suckers can drag more stuff home with us.

Chris

25. fortynut

fortynut

Ryan. It's ironic where others see disaster and calamity in the decline and fall of periodical print media, especially for enthusiasts of hot rods and customs, you see opportunity. 'Good on you.' Your offer to act as a clearing-house for independent publications, that are either the last gasp of printed paper for automotive enthusiasts, or the future of a pared down and refocused effort, will put you in the cat-bird seat. Not only will you know what's going on, but review content and editorial choices and analyze the trends in a hobby threatened by future laws and regulations designed to focus compliance on a pollution neutral existence, for all citizens world wide. Our hobby, while not on the verge of extinction, is about to change in ways none of us can imagine. Without advertising, many of the small companies that existed because of exposure to readers of monthly print publications like Rod & Custom, will be effected financially. Many products will cease to be known as commodities to future enthusiasts. We can bag on ads but they kept people in jobs. Also, instead of more kids thinking old cars are cool, fewer will be exposed to images on news-stands and in homes where subscriptions brought the magazines; fewer will read about the how, why and what of our world. And, certainly fewer parts will be be sold. After all, the whole is only a sum of the parts. I find it discomforting 'Speedy Bill' Smith, a vendor of gargantuan ambition and Rod & Custom should expire almost simultaneously. Even though we have seen the future, is it ours? My intention was to wish you 'Good Luck' with the circus you're putting together, not to point out that we need to close ranks and defend what we treasure against the coming tide of change. Your vision in the creation of new media, and leadership in the troubled times ahead will be an important part of the continuation of the heart and soul of our hobby. Stand tall and be proud, you're next in line to a long standing tradition of going fast and shining bright. Carl

26. catdad49

catdad49

Ryan, great words on a very tough subject. Most of the indies I try to support and I think that it's outstanding that you would open the door to show your support. Bravo Passion Rules

27. The more I have thought about the demise of R&C and the other names I find that I really sorta don't care. I've been dropping subs since I retired 11 years ago and picking up the slack on-line. Not with their e-zines but with bulletin boards.

I see more ways to address build issues/methods by HAMBers in a week on the HAMB than a years worth of any 10 printed magazines. Better pictures, better explanations, correct nomenclature, year of the cars - the list is endless. And there are ton of other boards for my broader car interests.

Kudos to the guys who care enough to share their passion, and yes, to Ryan for the means.

Charlie

28. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great call, Ryan! You are spot on.

29. Along the same lines but for more selfish reasons, I’d also like open my own doors to the people that have recently had theirs closed. If you can write your ass off and really love these old cars of ours, holla at your boy – we won’t tie your hands behind your back.

and

Nice move, Ryan. This will be interesting.

and

My thought was more along the lines of, "Oh, shit, Ryan. NOW you've gone an done it!" It WILL be interesting.

You've go to be kidding? Ryan, you would do that? Throw open the doors to the talent? Just that simple? Holy smoke, holy smokes...what a game changer...holy smokes....