Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage RIP: Rod & Custom Magazine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 29, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

R&C wasn't killed off because of a lack of distribution numbers. Their distribution was the second highest in the segment. Reader support was not the issue.

R&C was killed off because of a lack of interest from the adverisers who see better returns and trackability online.

You can't blame the reader on this one.

MOJODADDY, Model T1, HEMI32 and 2 others like this.
  2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It seems they all went online. Which makes for a great argument. When you pay a bill, does it REALLY make sense to write out a check, stuff an envelope, press on a stamp and drive to the post office? Or is it EASIER and more cost effective to do it online? Technology wins again. But one day, all the ivory towers will crash and we'll be in a world of shit.

One of the things Ryan mentioned was "trackability online". I REALLY hate seeing those words together, but they just have to be done for the good. Looking for my tin foil hat.........now.

3. Magazines are traditional.

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I used to go on magazine trips to the news stand. Back in the 60s I'd drive 30 miles to Baltimore to shop at the used book stores. I had lots of magazines with the cover cut...They would get refunded for the titles that did not sell and then end up in the used book stores for 10 cents a piece. I drove a 53 Willys P/U to the dump filled to the tailgate with 60s car magazines when I rented my house. I only collected the hotrod style mags. No car and drivers for me but many Rodding and Restyling. 50 years later I can still remember which copies I had just from the cover. Some time I miss them but it's really not the same anymore. R&C died for me more than a decade ago

r

Model T1 likes this.
  5. Boatmark

Boatmark

Sad day. I can't say it was surprising in today's electronic world, but it's still a sad day. I still subscribe to many print mags - and have waayyyy too many boxes of magazines in my garage. I can get it all on my tablet, but I just enjoy thumbing through print.

I wonder what a magazine trademark package is worth . . . . . and if it could be bought . . . . . ???
    Hmmm . . . . .

6. eye bone

eye bone

The only car zine I still subscribed to! Sad!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Are you guys SURE Rod & Custom hard copy has been cancelled? I can't find verification on this from them. I have 4 years left in my subscription. If this is true, they should at least contact each subscriber about this and give us options on where we want our subscription credit to go to on another mag.

Model T1 likes this.
  8. Holey cow! This must be serious if Desoto came out of the woodwork!!!!

9. It gets closed and resurrected, its not like it is the first time. Maybe this is the last time, face it E-zines are just cheaper to publish.

10. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

This is sad to see, I wonder if this is why I never saw any advertising for Americruise. It has been held on Memorial Day weekend in Lincoln, NE. That was a production of Prime Media, the parent company of R&C magazine

11. jangleguy

jangleguy

Thursday, Bloody Thursday took out a lot of titles. Many highly skilled and hard working people (with mouths to feed) lost their jobs. Several of these people gambled on me and ultimately became my friends. My heart aches for them. Luckily for me, Hot Rod Deluxe survives. For now.

12. skipperman

skipperman

MAN ... what a SHAME !! I started readin' R&C right after I stopped pissing my diapers ... :(

Model T1 likes this.
  13. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I don't know if this is all 7-11s but around my area, 7-11 no longer sells magazines, period. They only sell newspapers.

14. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Nahh...Those bankers and brokers who's worth exists as numbers in a database of cash and stock holdings will be in a world of shit. Guys that can't fix a flat will be in a world of shit.

We'll be the ones still able to make our own fuel and fix engines. We'll be keeping things that need to go, going. We might not be making integrated circuits and fuel injectors, but carburetors can be made from a tin can. Technology will refocus, but it won't die.

When cash becomes worthless, guys with real hands-on skills & knowledge of machines will be making life easier, far from the urban helter skelter. 'Course we may be getting paid in apples and chickens, but a guy's gotta eat. ;)

If I have to retire without my stock portfolio, I doubt I'll really miss it. Numbers in a database somewhere... I'd miss the machines more.

But as the old Sgt. said, "By the time I need one they'll be laying all over the ground."

Model T1 and ph8ed4life like this.
  15. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

So is the information true or false ? Still taking subscriptions and this for all to see the information may be a hoax about the magazine ceasing publication.

16. I've been a subscriber since December 1956. the last time it stopped being published they gave me a subscription to some magazine that I didn't want or need. if I had wanted it, I would have already subscribed to it. for all of us that renewed our subscription to R & C, we should sue them to refund our money for issues that we won't get. they think they have money problems now, how about a class action suit ? wishful thinking. over the years many magazines have gone out of business, what happened to OUR money ?

17. falconer63

falconer63

Bought a new hot rod magazine two weeks ago. First time I bought a car mag in...25 years? I was astonished at how full of ads that thing was. And weird ads, too. Male enhancement? Fer cryin out loud! I miss the days when the small ads in the back were for vertex magnetos and such. What a difference a few decades make.

Model T1 likes this.
  18. Model T1

Model T1

I confess. It's my fault. I have over a years worth of my favorite car magazine Rod & Custom, unread, piled in a corner somewhere. Also Street Rodder and others. I sit at this home computer looking at several car sites and run out of time to pick up a magazine. Everything I need is right here on my monitor.
    Without looking, I'm fairly sure I was getting Rod & Custom pretty much from both beginnings. I could spend a lot of time reading every article and looking at all of the pictures, over and over. Seems like all of my subscriptions for my favorite car magazines quit long ago. But for some reason they kept coming in the mail. I never questioned it.
    Yet as much as I loved R & C I still haven't opened a cover for years.
    I can't bitch and moan because it is gone. But I do feel badly.

19. moefuzz

moefuzz

We don't get a vast amount of variety up here in the frozen north but Rod and Custom was one of the better ones.
    -Not a sellout like Street Rodder or Hot Rod.

R&C was one of the few magazines I would still consider picking up.
    Bummer.

20. CruZer

CruZer

Well, there goes the rest of my subscription. I had almost two years left.

21. hotrodfords

hotrodfords

First off, I'm apparently the only dude who's 2 year subscription was due - I hadn't paid yet. My August R&C arrived with the traditional "THIS IS YOUR LAST MAGAZINE..." glued to binding.

So true, so true.

My best bud from high school has been a free-lancer and has been published in most big car magazines over the last 25 years. I remember the conversation we had on the phone when Peterson sold. We both suspected the suits would show with "investment capitol" and suck all the value out to pay "stock holders". It's sad in America there isn't room for businesses that are profitable and can make a go on their own (read "employ people") and have value, but don't produce enough "dividend" to pay stock holders - those are sucked dry then the vultures move to the next business having no true passion for the business they just crushed, or any detailed knowledge of the "next" company they will gut.

I blame it on a glut of MBAs who's dad's didn't put a wrench in their hand and dirt under their fingernails.

RIP R&C - we're gonna miss ya.

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The ads for quick muscle growth (the guy getting sand kicked in his face) were better? I never had a problem with the amount of ads. If you don't need the product, turn the page.

23. David Totten

David Totten

The price of progress wont be long before printed material is probably a thing of the past. Newspapers, books and magazines will be mostly replace by what we are on now.

24. srs1

srs1

me too!

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

26. falconer63

falconer63

Oh yeah, the dynamic tension ads! Charles atlas! Great stuff. Very nostalgic. Now the ads are to make your junk bigger, not your muscles. Different generation, that's for sure. Yeah, those were different days indeed. Sorry to see the custom rodder and street rodder mags going by the wayside. You would think, with today's "kar kulture" youth, those mags would find a market. But I think the whole concept of hard copy printed materials is going by the wayside, being replaced by online content. As so many here have posted. Just sad though. As a kid, I had a collection of car mags passed down to me from my much older cousin. Every hot rod, every car craft, every popular hot rodding and every car life mag printed from 1960 to 1973. Plus a few motor trends, car and drivers, speed and custom, etc etc to boot. I wish I still had those boxes of magazines. I read every single one of them, over and over. What an education for a car crazy 12 year old kid.

Model T1 likes this.
  27. srs1

srs1

my most recent issue (aug 14) has 82 numbered pages. 38 of those are adds, mostly full page. surely R&C could survive on its own with that kind of advertiser support

28. yruhot

yruhot

That really sucks and I think I also just renewed mu subscription. Just more bad news.yruhot..Doug

29. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

I spoke with Tex Smith today and Tex tells me it is true Rod & Custom will be no more.

I would guess any subscriptions will be sent or offered a similar magazine

30. Convert54

Convert54
    from Oklahoma

have a collection that dates back to 1969........not complete by any means..........but this sucks for sure