Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ex-Don Kendall's '28 Roadster going in for gloss black paint...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buickfunnycar.com, May 4, 2014.

1. Will do man...is the concern here that they won't line up?

2. alchemy

alchemy

Moreso that the gaps in the jambs are too tight. We've done many old Fords that need all the space they can get. That dimple in the jamb may be there for a reason.

3. gloss black is not for the faint of heart. but with a beautiful specimen like you have there should no other color as an option. Its great to see you continuing on the planned course of action, very awesome of you.

4. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

This is such a nice car. Even before you sendt it to paint!!

When you first go black, you never wanna go back! Except if the body ain't straight.

This look straight as an arrow!

I'm gonna read the build thread.

Are you thinking about doing anything to those valvecovers? They look 60yrs never then anything else on the car.

But dang it's Be-u-ti-ful!

5. I hear ya now...thanks and will let my guys know so that they're on top of it!

pdunn10, Thanks man, with the frame exposed and painted gloss black, I was really painted into a corner...literally...on what color to paint it, had no other choice and yeah, it will be simply impossible for someone as anal as me to keep it perfect but I will try my best!

volvobrynk, Hadn't really given the v/covers much thought since that's how Don finished it but now that you mention it, I might...any ideas?

6. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I read the build. Really not this car, but malcoms car is nice too.

Regarting valve covers; anything non billit, non rough and non "NASCAR aproved", would be great! Maby even painting the ones you got, will bring you along way!!

7. Thanks for the advice man...

8. Deadender60

Deadender60

I love Don's roadster. We shot it back in 2007 I think
    I miss Don, he was such a good guy. Always a pleasure to talk to & be around.

http://deadendmagazine.com/mar_page67-68.html

Can't wait to see it in gloss black!

We'll have to shoot

9. Hey that is great, I've seen the picture with the text on page two but none of the others...anyway you could send me those in hi-def to [email protected] would greatly appreciate it!

I tinted the windshield glass today and polished the hand-built frame, you can really appreciate Don's mad skills if you study the frame from the inside out...LOT'S of time and thought went into building that frame.
    I think the tinted glass will look great against a straight black car:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Ready for primer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And in primer!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now the blocking process begins and hopefully we'll be in color soon...WOO HOO!

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. ph8ed4life

ph8ed4life
    from AZ

Ah, blocking....just when youre fed up with it, you have more to do!

-Matt

brandon likes this.
  12. LOL...ain't that the truth!

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Not much to report today, the guide coat is on the car and they're going to let it cure for another day before starting to block it.

14. Only one progress picture to post guys, they've only done one door and most of this side panel so far.
    It's been slow-going but I certainly don't want to rush them...I have a show I've committed to on the 28th, if I don't make it...oh well.
    [​IMG]

15. Stopped in tonight since a friend was in town from IL and the pub we were having some beers is right across from the body shop, here my next door neighbor is hand-sanding the louvers, a time-consuming process to say the least...
    [​IMG]

16. cheesegrater

cheesegrater
    from california

17. cheesegrater

cheesegrater
    from california

Muscle Car John: Yup thats it I worked on the trailer at Dans shop in the 70s when I was going to a Welding School Down there A friend of mine & Dan were in the Military together

18. Small world man...!

19. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Awesome... Looking good!!

20. Thanks Malcolm, will check in tomorrow to see if there's been any further progress...

21. Well slow going but it is progressing, all the panels have been blocked, only the body remains...they tell me it will be in paint by this wknd, we shall see...not rushing them.
    Friday:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Today:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Malcolm and loudbang like this.
  22. Finally Black paint guys...these panels were painted late yesterday afternoon but they wouldn't let me in the booth, I just snapped these about 1 hour ago...camera does not pick it up well but they're deep black, very shiny and super straight...hopefully more updates to report next week on the side panels, trunk,grille surround as well as the body:
    Hood:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rear underbody panel:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Doors:
    [​IMG]

loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  23. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

One of my favorite roadsters to look at.. I'm happy with what you've been doing to this one.

24. I've checked out this thread several times since May but never posted,but I keep going back to the wheels & tires,,what size are the rimes and size of the tires? HRP

25. Thank you...I think this car will be very special when it's completed...and I also think Don would be happy with the results.

hotrodprimer, car isn't here for me to just go out and look obviously but I will check and get that info to you soon...

26. Thanks man. HRP

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Somehow I missed the thread earlier but that will take the already sweet little rod to a whole new dimension.
    I like the fact that Don had a great vision for the car and you are now following through with that vision. Only having to finish and perfect what is already there is something in it's self but I for one won't be whining if you find some valve covers that are a lot more correct for the complete build. I'm thinking those may have come on the crate motor if it was a crate motor and never got changed.

28. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Super love the shiny,so great,max cool

29. Will probably get around to those v/covers soon, I don't see them when the hood is down so they don't quite bother me so much...and you're right,it was a crate motor but Don added allow heads and a hotter cam.

30. catfishdog

catfishdog
    from Miami

I can't wait for the finished project, it's like going out to mailbox every 3 months waiting for the TRJ

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!