Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Honoring Rod & Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, May 30, 2014.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Honoring Rod & Custom

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. This just sucks. R&C was one of the only great "regular" magazines left for guys like us. I hope it is brought back down the road.

Corporate greed machine wins again....

Lazy A likes this.
  3. Good post Joey. Losing out on another magazine really sucks. I work on a computer all day, the last thing I want to do is read a magazine on my iPad when I'm trying to relax.

As an aside, the caption on the 67 mag made me laugh: "Girl-type Roadster owner/builder" What is a 'Girl-type' anyways?

Lazy A likes this.
  4. Sam-Hollingsworth1.jpg

In the late 50's, my first magazine subscription was to Hot Rod Magazine but my interest waned because of the path they were traveling down. Sometime in the 60's I discovered R & C and it had remained my magazine of choice for many, many years. The issue that "piqued" your dads interest would have to be one of my favorite covers, that '57 Nomad sitting on the beach... wow!

Yes, Rod & Custom will be missed.

Last edited: May 30, 2014

5. Spooky Two

Spooky Two
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes... this is sad.
    Certainly an iconic mag... and surely to be missed.
    Given this, I suppose I should have taken home that August '14 edition I had in my hands at the book rack last night. Heck, it did feature a friend's car... but moneys for the ground coffee purchase won out( mags in same aisle). Doh!!
    I have many favorite monthly editions over many years... really couldn't name them all. What stands out at the moment... the little pages! Like November 1956 with the Fire Dome Deuce!!
    Or even those two special edition "Little Pages" annuals in '11 and '12, one featuring Billy Crewl's 'Calori Roadster'
    .... And all the how-to articles, they really made Rod & Custom a perfect mag for the times we shared.
    They WILL BE the mag each month I miss.
    sad S2

6. LowHeat

LowHeat

7. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Rod & Custom magazine was gone from about 1974 to 1988, so this is not the first time production has stopped. Hopefully it will come back, it is an icon in our hobby. I still have the very first car mag I bought - the May 1961 edition of R&C. Started it all for me. The years 1968 to 74 were the best though for me - just month after month of classic editions of the magazine showing the hot rod hobby. As a 34 Ford guy, the article written by Gray Baskerville in the November 1973 edition doing a comparison of the California Kid and the Jim Jacobs coupe still reigns as the best ever for me. Sad to see it gone.

8. seatex

seatex

Sad to see it go, again. I have been looking at past issues for about a week and really appreciate the in depth tech articles that were in each issue. bummer, but maybe it will come around again.

9. Larry T

Larry T

My favorite issue EVER! But the earlier issues were really neat too. rod & custom.jpg

sko_ford and BONNEVILLE BOB 95 like this.
  10. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

The 53 cover and issue is my favorite . its graphically pleasing as well as photographically . I can't remember what issue popped my cherry ,but its been a staple in my life since I started hotroding. It turned into a carrier for me and was a whirlwind of excitement. I knew I was standing on the shoulders of giants the first time I walked into the offices to show Rob Fortier my portfolio. when he said he wanted me to shoot for him and the magazine I felt like I was in a dream. I've met soo many amazing people working for them , but knew all things must come to an end. Im just soo happy to be apart of the whole legacy. maybe in 20 years it may start up again, but I think I was apart of something special working with the likes of Rob , Aaron, and Kev. all top notch guys that really cared what you guys think and tried to bring you the best month after month …. It is however time to turn the page and not dwell on what was , and look into the future. Better things to come………..

To all the folk I had the honor of meeting , shooting , and buying the mag month after month, Thank you for the support!

Ill be seeing y'all around the corner! I gotta car to build!

Attached Files:

Drewfus, Lazy A and Chris Casny like this.
  11. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Dang! I'm gonna miss it. The latest issue was the last issue of my subscription so that worked out. Guess I will not be renewing it at York next week as I have done every few years in the past. Street Rodder ran out, too. Wonder if my usual 2 or 3 yr subscription will last as long as the mag? I've got a week or so to think about it.
    Still, I'm gonna miss R&C.

12. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

Books, Hot rod mags, newspapers are all just hanging on....maybe after a year of instant info only people will realize: Hey, it was kind of nice picking up that old mag and re reading it....

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I don't have one single favorite issue, but I'd give my left one for a full set of R&C Models! Gary

14. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Does this mean I will be getting a refund for the remainder of my subscription? :mad:

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

So.... I was a real young kid, and surrounded by the trappings of my dad's race car shop and all of the hot rods at home. But one day I got the mail for my mom, and wrapped around the bundle for the day was this. "How come this doesn't look like any of our hot rods, dad?" We had T-buckets and a forty coupe. This issue is the very beginnings of my obsession with "traditional" cars, and my obsession with magazines... And then it was gone... For a bit. scan0018.jpg

16. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Really one of my favorite magazines since I was a youngster. I thought the content was still good and looked forward to Rod and Custom arriving in the mail each month. Short sighted executives have dumped this title before only to bring it back. It may not happen this time though as it seems a lot of the lifetime readers have found other media or other interests or passed on. I am very sad to see it go. A tough couple of months I would say, first we loose Tom Medley and now one of his favorite titles. BTW this is the first I heard of this. Where did you hear this news Joey?

17. catdad49

catdad49

Heard the rumors on Facebook last night and was sad about it. As someone else said,it's not the first time that this has happened ( but given the everlasting quest for ever increasing profit that seems to be more and more prevalent, it may not return this time. Not a great start to the weekend, but thanks for the confirmation.

18. butch27

butch27

Hey -I have a 3 year subscription.!!

Jay.S likes this.
  19. .......................You don't anymore !:(

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My all time favorite cover shot too, Chip! (I was building a '27 Nose Job at the time, had spent some afternoons with Ronny Covell at his Campbell shop...when he was doing the nose for Tom Prufer's track T: "The 'Pruf' is in his project" was the title of the R&C coverage)
    Hammering out that aluminum nose was decidedly more aggravating to me than Ron's work.
    That '27 became a '32 railed hiboy, nickel T shell!
    I also recall the 1969 cover, with Bo Jones's "Modified: California Style!"- '27 T Modified in blazing orange. (Affordable build then...) Thanks, R&C!

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  21. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

WELL THIS BLOWS

22. 296ardun

296ardun

Sorry it's gone, but the old ones remain, my oldest daughter still finds them on E-Bay and sends them to me for holidays, have more than I did back in the old days when we took "the little pages" to school and hid them in our algebra books (no wonder I failed!)

23. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I sell and trade little pages as well as other magazines

24. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Yep, gone again - and I don't think it'll be coming back except as a "one shot" now and then. The company has killed about eight titles in this "streamlining" move and announced they are becoming a "content publisher leaning in video and social media directions". It's kind strange here on the HAMB though - mention any magazine and tons of guys flame all print magazines (except Rodders Journal) and despise all advertising! Well, you got your wish. Not enough advertisers - no magazine - lights out.

25. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

How can you honor a magazine that is letting it's loyal subscribers down...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  26. It should have been "Hot Rod" mag that folded,not R&C...HR is so terrible now..

27. I first discovered it when it came back in 1988. I was getting tired of Hot Rod and every issue having almost nothing but expensive Camaros. I was looking at the hot rod mags at a grocery store and there was the new Rod and Custom, with Pat Ganahl and Ol' Dad Baskerville! I bought that issue and immediately subscribed and have since then. I'm rather bummed by this news. I also have several of my dad's from 1958-1962. Have to look them over again this weekend.

Bdamfino likes this.
  28. arincee

arincee

My favorite issue is the first one I ever bought; August '61. I turned 12 that summer and decided it was time to start buying car magazines since I would be driving in just four years. I knew I wouldn't be buying a new Corvette with what I made delivering newspapers so I figured a hot rod would be just as cool. All I had to do was figure out how to build one so it was off to the corner drugstore to find some information. In the early sixties there were a lot of different titles on the rack but the one that jumped out at me was the new large size Rod & Custom. I bought that issue (still only 25 cents) and I haven't missed one since. I have also collected all the pocket size ones all the way back to the first issue of Hop Up. I'm sure going to miss R&C.

sko_ford likes this.