Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2nd Annual West Coast Y Block & pre 63' Ford Shootout 6-15

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mummert, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Mummert

Mummert

2014 poster low res.JPG June 15th Barona drag strip!!

Come on out bring you out your old hotrods. This Event is open to cars, trucks, rails, roadsters powered by pre 1963 Ford Lincoln Mercury engines.

-Ford & Lincoln Y blocks
    -MELS
    -FE's
    - If it's old we want to see it

The race is a Double Elimination Bracket.. Lose once and your still in. We'll have a lunch time barbeque and prizes. The race is coupled with a 2 day Summit race. You can come in on Friday and camp free. Test and tune on Saturday. Race on Sunday.
    If you're coming into town for the LA roadster show make your way down on Sunday and see some good ole' racing.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  2. ohv4d

ohv4d

2013 shootout pits.jpg Sounds good, count me in!

3. Mummert

Mummert

About 50 days to go. Were working on a 64' Falcon Bfx with a Y block in it. Gotta long way to go and a short time to get there. Todd Ferguson is the owner driver.
    We should have the crank on Sunday afternoon and the rods by early next week.
    First things first, gotta narrow up the rods and bearings so we can trial assemble it and get it ready for decking.
    This entire build is one worthy of a reality show so we'll see if we can pull it off in time.
    Drag Car From Scratch in 90 Days!!

4. ohv4d

ohv4d

There are some good Y-Block race car projects going on right now!! Its nice to see thought and good ole' engineering going on with these engines. The Dragstrips need to see more of this going on.

5. jhildebr

jhildebr
    from San Diego

Hello all Y-blockers,
    This is an open invitation to all Y-Block powered cars to join us on June 15th at Barona dragstrip. I'll be bringing the Yblock powered 31' A coupe. Here is the poster for the event.
    John Hildebrand

Attached Files:

6. Mummert

Mummert

Doing some work on the new motor. It takes alot of cutting on a lathe to cut a 2lb. off a craknshaft:rolleyes:. My initial goal may be a little out of sight. But whatever I can get will help. Now we just have to see if we can the new manifold tested out at the Antique Drags this weekend. We might be trying to bite off more than we can chew. Na!!

7. ohv4d

ohv4d

Posters are here. T-shirts will be done in the next week or 2. If your interested PM John Hildebrand.

8. Mummert

Mummert

Had a good time up at the Antique Drags on Sunday. We got plenty off test and tune done on Johns 31' coupe. The new manifold worked out really well. Looks like it was worth about .05 sec.. The car ran 6.29 @ 106.5 @2350' DA and 6.36 @ 105.2 @ 3830' DA on VP110. We didn't have any SP5 on hand but the new manifold seemed to make up the difference. So I'm good with that.

A lot of nice cars up there and talked with a few HAMBer's.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  9. Mummert

Mummert

Were back. The new look is interesting. Having a little trouble figuring out the new format but I'm sure it will come with time.
    A little over month to go til' the Shootout.

10. ohv4d

ohv4d

343 race motor.jpg I was talking to John Hildebrand today. Sounds like he has good sponsors and prizes this year for the racers.

Crower Cams
    Schnieder Cams
    Dana Sniff Racing Transmissions
    Bob Martin
    Joe Cebe
    JBA Racing
    Royce Brechler
    BruceYoung
    plus a few others..

Payouts will be going to various categories:
    -Shooutout Winner & Runner up
    -Best reaction time
    -Closest to dial in
    -Low E.T.
    -Most improved E.T. from last year
    -Bounty on Todd Ferguson and Buzz Click
    -Furthest traveled to make the Event
    Sounds like hes got a few others he looking at as well.

It will be a Double Elimination like last year so if lose once your still in for the money.

-

1954vicky likes this.
  11. ohv4d

ohv4d

To all FE owners, J. Bittle is sponsoring an FE Challenge as part of the Y-Block event June 15th @ Barona. Jay has put up some $$ for the winner and runner up. The winner will face the winner of the Y-Block Shootout for more prize money.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  12. jhildebr

jhildebr
    from San Diego

West Coast Y-blockers. I have gathered over $1000.00 in money and product discount certs for race prizes. Any race car/driver that registers with me before the date and runs at least 1 round will get a FREE event poster and a T-shirt. Bruce Young from Y-block mag has also donated a three month subscription/extension to the Y-Block Magazine for each of these racers. If you plan on attending and racing please contact me in advance. I need to reserve pit space for our group.
    Also, remember this is a "dial" in bracket race with double elimination giving you two chances to reach the final eliminations. The fastest car did not win the race last year. One of the slower cars did!
    Y-not race'm, [email protected]

13. Mummert

Mummert

Progress is coming along good on the falcon. We have a ways to go but pushing pretty hard. The rear end is alomost done Cal Tracs, mini tubs and rear subframe done. The Crites fendrwell notching kit and motor is mounted. Glass fenders and hood showed up from US body source, pricey but light.
    Header flanges are done. We will be selling these flanges here in the future 3 piece per side and come with a port template, there sexy. Started looking at the headers today. Its a little tight but the gonna be nice. Seat is mounted steering column, and master cylinder has been moved inboard so that we have room for the fenderwell design headers.
    Todd Ferguson has been on the job and is makin' chit happen. John Hildebrand and others have been pitching in a hand when they can. Gotta get this engine built and the dyno soon if were gonna have any chance at all.

14. ohv4d

ohv4d

interior Joes 57.jpg buzz click.jpg

Couple of my favorite photos from the 2013 SHOOTOUT.. Some of the attention to detail in these cars is amazing.
    Joe and Buzz will be back out this year.
    Al has the yellow roadster on this years poster. Sounds like hes got few tricks up his sleeve to shave time off his E.T. from last year.

15. Mummert

Mummert

Just under 25 days to go. Thrasing away trying to get the new engine done for the Falcon. Looks like it gonna be another dyno Friday race make it run Saturday race it Sunday deals:rolleyes:.

16. jhildebr

jhildebr
    from San Diego

Y-blockers,
    I have about $1300.00 in cash and prizes for the next West Coast Y-block Shootout on June 15th at Barona Drag strip. The Y-block winner should get about $375 + with other bonuses. The runner up will get at least $200.00. There is $100.00 for the "long distance" racer that comes from farther away with a car to race, plus other prizes and cash. If you pre-register and race your car with me you get a free T-shirt and poster. The FE challenge race winner will get at least $100.00 possibly more.
    John

17. enthusiastm

enthusiastm

Hi, I've posted the flyer on my Facebook page, but really need a higher resolution file: https://www.facebook.com/events/887455311280032/?ref=22

18. jhildebr

jhildebr
    from San Diego

19. enthusiastm

enthusiastm

Thank you John, but it seems that the forum is converting it down. Would you email directly to enthusiastm at att net?

20. Mummert

Mummert

Jusy under 2 weeks to go. The Falcon has come along ways. Still has a ways to go. Supposed to be on the dyno with engine a week from Wednesday and the race is the following Sundayo_O. Anyways sounds like there will be some nice cars and good attendance.

21. Mummert

Mummert

1 week to go.

22. jhildebr

jhildebr
    from San Diego

It's here! Come out and race with us. We also have FE powered cars challenging the Ys Guys. JBA put up cash for the FE winner and the Challenge. $$$

23. Mummert

Mummert

The 2nd Annual Y Block Shootout is one for the history books. The weather was sunny and 85.
    All of last years participants returned with a few new Y block and few FE powered cars to join in.
    Lunch was provided by Pete Blakeley and his wife. It was good eatin'
    Todd Ferguson took the top spot again this year. John Hildebrand was the runner in the Y block challenge. Steve Thompson took first in the FE challenge and Ben from National Spring took the runner up spot.

HUGE thanks too the racers for showing up and the sponsors that helped make it possible. Until next year.
    If I can round up enough different cameras I will try and put up some pictures.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Primer Podcast

Primer Podcast
    from LBC

Cool to meet john hildebrand and others at this event which was our first time at Barona dragstrip.

Looking forward to next year's event. we'll do our best to bring an FE out or if we're super lucky, the 312.

[​IMG]Summit Drag_Y Block Shootout_07 by PrimerPodcast, on Flickr

[​IMG]Summit Drag_Y Block Shootout_13 by PrimerPodcast, on Flickr

[​IMG]Summit Drag_Y Block Shootout_16 by PrimerPodcast, on Flickr

[​IMG]Summit Drag_Y Block Shootout_26 by PrimerPodcast, on Flickr

[​IMG]Summit Drag_Y Block Shootout_45 by PrimerPodcast, on Flickr

[​IMG]Summit Drag_Y Block Shootout_56 by PrimerPodcast, on Flickr

[​IMG]Summit Drag_Y Block Shootout_67 by PrimerPodcast, on Flickr

[​IMG]Summit Drag_Y Block Shootout_68 by PrimerPodcast, on Flickr

[​IMG]Summit Drag_Y Block Shootout_74 by PrimerPodcast, on Flickr

[​IMG]Summit Drag_Y Block Shootout_93 by PrimerPodcast, on Flickr

[​IMG]Summit Drag_Y Block Shootout_97 by PrimerPodcast, on Flickr

[​IMG]Summit Drag_Y Block Shootout_171 by PrimerPodcast, on Flickr

[​IMG]Summit Drag_Y Block Shootout_173 by PrimerPodcast, on Flickr

[​IMG]Summit Drag_Y Block Shootout_189 by PrimerPodcast, on Flickr

[​IMG]Summit Drag_Y Block Shootout_216 by PrimerPodcast, on Flickr

[​IMG]Summit Drag_Y Block Shootout_219 by PrimerPodcast, on Flickr

[​IMG]Summit Drag_Y Block Shootout_222 by PrimerPodcast, on Flickr

video here (if Summit Series aint your flavor, you'll have to skim through to see the Y-blockers)

loudbang likes this.