Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1938 Chevrolet Master Deluxe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by djtwigsta, May 1, 2014.

1. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

So picked up this new project....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

themoose likes this.
  2. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

Its in running condition and an amazing undercarriage with most of the car being original. to do list: electrical to the headlights, just pulled the vent glass frame to get a template, emergency brake cable, and repair the floor.... Then from there its all just fun :)

3. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Man I like it!

4. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

Anybody have suggestions perhaps on where to get a transmission floor cover piece as mines rusted and most of the kits out there expect a motor swap... will have to hunt down or make my own while also looking for some running boards.

5. I believe Chev's of the '40's has smooth steel running boards not sure about the trans floor cover though.

6. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

Yeah they don't have one but backordered one that was close at the filling station.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

Well got several electrical bugs worked out and ready for inspection.... Curious can you fit a Caddy motor in these or too big?

8. captmullette

captmullette

like it , one day........

9. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

I really like the 37s and 38s. Great looking car you have there. Have fun!

10. Great solid car....Nice to see an old Chevy getting ready to hit the road!

11. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

Caddy will be a pretty tight without recessing the firewall. You'll also have a clearance problem with the stock steering gear box.

12. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I'm dying to get my hands on a '38... Looks awesome. Congrats!

13. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

Thanks EZ Cool.... I know that many recess 2-3 inches of firewall for some of the motor swaps.

14. bondolero

bondolero

the 37 and 38 was a big hit for Chevy with the killer styling on the hood and grille area and getting away from the wood hung doors and body wood. Max comfort and ride imo.
    Funny thing is how although they look alike, Nothing off your car will work on my pickup !
    Cool old car.

15. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

I'm pulling a SBC out of my 38 Coupe and putting in a 409. Looks like it will squeeze in without any cutting.

16. Per my username, a big block Chevy will fit, so I am pretty sure the Cadillac will fit, assuming you mean early Cad and not the later 472/500. Those are extra wide and may be a bit tougher fit. Just have to measure a lot before making the decision. My car is 2 dr sedan just like yours.

My BBC has about 1/4 inch clearance everywhere, but still stock firewall. I moved my radiator forward about 3 inches. I run a 700R4 and stock trans hump. I swapped to Must II front, and my steering has 3 u-joints. But it does fit and hood sides close like original.

17. elba

elba

I have built two 38's. The first one I put a Camaro clip on it. The second one I put a Mustang IFS on it.. The Camaro was much better than the Mustang IFS. The Camaro was a little wide but since then Fat Mans has different arms which narrow it. I Used Chasis Engineerigg kit on the Mustang IFS installation. Easy, fits good, but I still would go with the Camaro if I did it again.

18. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

you cant go wrong with a 38 chev..... i love mine

19. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

Good info!!! So some have suggested just hopping the 216 in it to get around 65mph comfortably and stay traditional. I'm going the 50-60's taildragger while avoiding some bombita mods. So its road legal... curious if anybody has links with info on the knee action suspension which is completely new to me...

20. 270283

If you have the knee action front suspension they can be rebuilt, but it may not be worth the expense. I would consider going with a stock straight axle set-up or bolting in a 49-54 front suspension. they would be two of the lowest cost alternatives. If you have the Master Deluxe, you probably have a 4.22 rear in there. The Master series from those years (37-38) had a 3.73 rear. Much better choice if you want to try to hit 65mph.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  21. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

interesting.... have to do a bit more research :) Also is there a trick to keep from grinding while going from 1st to 2nd? Still trying to figure this one out.

22. 270283

If all is right with the driveline, there shouldn't be any grinding. That is to say that these didn't require double clutching. If it's only on the 1-2 shift, I'd suspect a tranny problem.

23. Kinky6

Kinky6

On the one-two shift you're going from one leg of the "H" pattern to the other, so it may involve slop in your shift linkage rather than in your trans; both should be looked at.

Back about 15 years ago, both Magoo's and Butch's Rod Shop came out with an improved geometry tie-rod steering set-up, it could use either a manual or power steering box. I'm not sure of who is carrying these shops' product lines, but the stuff is out there. Saw this in a R&C article that Pat Ganahl wrote; one of his Chevies was one of the first installs.

Later, Kinky6

24. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

[​IMG]

Good ole 327 going in...

greasemonkey54 likes this.
  25. What motor mounts are you running? what trans and rear are behind the 327?

26. raymay

raymay

Good find that should make a nice build.
    37 and 38 are great looking cars with style. I got hooked early on 37's and my Brother always had 38's. I have had coupes, several sedans, a sedan delivery, a pickup and a panel truck. Currently have a chopped sedan that I built 29 years ago.
    Be creative and enjoy your build.

scan0007.jpg scan0001.jpg del18.jpg IMG_2025.JPG IMG_3053.JPG

27. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

Awesome pics!!!! I'm getting a 10 bolt posi in the rear... being modified for 6 lug pattern