Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 97's--originals vs Speedway's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by djmahle, May 27, 2014.

1. djmahle

djmahle
    from Minnesota

I am building an A-V8 with a 50 engine that I plan to run 2 2's on. Has anybody had experience with Speedway's Super 97's? I am wondering if I should get them or pop for originals? Thanks for any input.

2. srs1

srs1

good question! i want to hear this one myself.

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

No question... Without doubt the speedway carbs are inferior to the original 97's sold by Clive.

4. 8flat

8flat

As with most things, you get what you pay for. I'm so damn happy with Clive's carbs I can't say enough good things about their 97s, and their support.

5. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Here again if you have to ask buy the repops and leave the originals for us guys who just can't compromise.

6. alchemy

alchemy

If you rebuild originals, or decide to buy new Strombergs, this is the place to go: http://97-express.com/

7. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I bought the "new 97's" which were (are?) mfg in England. I've had them 6 yrs, and they work great. Right after getting mine, Speedway came out with theirs. I haven't heard anything, good, bad, or indifferent, about them.

Like the original ones, 3 to 3.5 lb. fuel pressure in the rule. I bought mine from Sacramento Vintage Ford.

4TTRUK

OLSKOOL32 likes this.
  8. Sorry for asking dumb question, but who is Clive? I think I should spring for a couple new carbs.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. The originals 97's are considered sacred and finding good rebuildable cores is getting harder every day but they are still out there.

It took 5 junk carburetors to build 3 good ones. HRP

10. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Ditto. Clive manufactures the new Stromberg 97's. He's a great guy with a great product.

11. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

I have the Speedways on mine and have not had any trouble at all except this sorry gas we have now.Had them for 4 yrs now.The gas evaporates out before I drive again and it has a little hard starting when hot but I did put insulators under both of them.Just has to turn over a few more times than when cold.But with anybodys stuff you get some trouble

12. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Yeah, I feel ya...took me 8 of the originals to make 6...I did have them chromed though ;) ...

13. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Unfortunately, like so many of the products from Speedway, these carbs are made in China, and I thin k everyone knows what kind of quality comes from China made products

14. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

I have sold a number of Speedway carbs and have not had any issues yet. I think this negative chatter is just a bunch of people with their panties in a wad because some one else repopped a carb that you could not get a few years ago and brought it in at a somewhat more affordable pricing. Still original 97's are hard to get and must be rebuilt, the English 97 is fine, the Speedway one works fine also, your choice.

15. I know several guys running the Speedway 97s, and they have been very happy with them.

16. wex65

wex65
    from WV

17. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Well, this stuff is all fine, but how do you trust a carburetor that's younger than you are?? Does it have adequate experience, does its resume show a record of reliability?

Fly'n Kolors likes this.
  18. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

wex65....the Lucky's Speed Shop piece is really old news. Speedway will tell you right up front that there were issues with early 9Super7 carbs and they exchanged them or refunded purchases. It's apparent that there are number of people who have purchased Speedway carbs and are satisfied with their performance.

19. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

The sad part of this whole thing is that originally parts were produced in China because of the cost. Now with shipping costs and the time lag for shipping factored in, these parts could be produced here by good old American workers for a comproble price. Shame on t hese companies for continuing to buy in China. And the quality of these Chinese parts is inferior

20. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Communist carburetors... Traditional?

21. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Never had any experience with any early Stromberg 97s or 94s. How do they compare with Rochester 2bbl? I think I already know the answer.

Ago

22. All this arguing, and I still don't know who Clive is. Carbking on here perhaps?

23. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Clive owns the new Stromberg company. He lives in the UK where they are manufactured. I don't know if he is on the HAMB.

24. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Clive is the visionary who invested countless time and money into the re-introduction of the genuine Stromberg 97 carburetor.
    This endeavor included sourcing the original drawings, tooling and the rights to the brand name.
    All this paid off in an absolutely perfect product.
    Then, enter Speedway and their weak attempt at duplicating the real deal, including their blatant ripoff of the orange and black packaging! Like my mother-in-law; where Speedway spits, the grass won't grow.

s55mercury66 likes this.
  25. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

HA HA, This is fuggin funny. Do you guys know how silly this is? Kill a Commie for Mommie.......Dick is a dick.........Clive is a mystery..........Half the shit on your cars comes from China made by an 8 year old Chinese girl for chrst sake and you want to break her rice bowl........
    I've got a set of rebuilt 97s on my 8BA in the Avatar that I bought from uncle Max 7 years ago and I haven't touched them. And I DRIVE the sucker....

deuce nut likes this.
  26. So these would be the ones Mac sells if I googled correctly?

27. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Financial interest? You bet your ass... I've saved and invested wisely, and now have enough money to last the rest of my life. If I die Thursday. But, did I mention, as a dealer for the genuine 97's, I offer 10% off plus free shipping to HAMB heads.

28. hallrods

hallrods

Google Dicks Hot rod carburetion he is the best

29. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

And this is why I will not deal with Speedway. I had a lot of respect at one time for Speedy Bill, and Speedway, but no longer.