Register now to get rid of these ads!

aerostar springs for the mopar guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by corvairsixtyfour, Jun 3, 2013.

1. I was going to go to Aerostar springs for my "53 Desoto with a V8,,does not work :(,,,,way too short, goes down to the stops. Apparently these cars are on Chrysler chassis, Going with one coil cut on stock spring and the Cherokee sway bar setup, not back on the ground yet,,,,

Anyone want some CC850 springs ?

2. StukaBomber55

StukaBomber55

Please do let me know.

Plan to clip a coil as well? I have the springs in my cart waiting your word sir.

Thanks!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. I will absolutely keep you posted Bomber. No plans to cut any coils initially. I just want to stick the springs in there and see where the car sits. I will do what I can to photo document and measure everything.

4. StukaBomber55

StukaBomber55

Thank you!

I will legitimately have my wife send you cookies for a full report :)

5. StukaBomber55 . . . I have fulfilled my mission and sadly, I must report that the Moog CC850's will NOT work on the 55-56 Dodge and Plymouths. or at least those with V-8's. I threw them on my 1956 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer this weekend and the springs are too short, the car was bottomed out on the bump stops before the springs ever engaged.

Save your money. I do think that a spring at about the same rate but 2" taller would have probably worked.

6. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

working out the bugs now on my 40 dodge,installed new coil springs made by eaton,and dropped up rights,,had to go down to a smaller tire,,,tire was to big on my front end any way,,

7. gatz

gatz

what year(s) Cherokee are you guys getting the sway bar from?
    I looked/measured some Grand Cherokees at the U-Pull-It and they all seemed to be too narrow to fit the horns of my 40 Chrysler; which frame I'm guessing is fairly common to the Mopar linage.

8. The 850's don't work on a '53 Desoto with V8 either. I cut one coil on the original springs, equals a 2 in. drop at the fender lip,,,,,with a one inch block on the rear, it looks good
    Any one want some 850 springs?

9. 73RR

73RR

By chance did you take a photo of the stock spring next to the cc850...?

10. 73RR,,no pic', but by measure, the stock spring, PN #112798 was 15 7/8",, the 850 is 11 1/2". With one coil, 3/4 dia.,plus coil space, the stocker ended up at 14 3/4
    With the cut spring & a one inch block in the rear the overall rake is right at 3 inches bumper to bumper,,,17' 7" My car is the "Club Coupe" , or 2door.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  11. 73RR

73RR

Wow! Huge difference between the uncut pieces.

12. how much shipped to 77328 ?

13. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

i ordered new stock height coils from eaton,,,1940 dodge,,they measured 13 1/2 tall,, the original cut,coil bound springs i removed measured 11 1/2 inches tall,,before the springs started to sag ( coil bind) the car sat nice a little lower in front then the rear,, i have posies super slide loweing leaf srpings in my car,,and a big rear sway bar,, now with stock height new front coils and fat man dropped uprights it sits some where around 1 inch lower then the stock original cut coil springs did,,still working on steering geomatry,,,,using the cavilere rack and fat man modified steering arms,,,

14. bought some cc850's and am installing them in my 51 Cranbrook tomorrow, will update

15. $46.35 from partsgeek.com

16. ok, got the springs installed. Even though they were 2.5" shorter than the stockers, the front sits at what I would imagine stock height would be (I have a 51 4 door cranbrook). The ride is beautiful! no more of the wallowing effect at hwy speed, nice and stable and corners better, just all around feels better than I have ever driven it. I plan on either dropping the spring cup plate this winter when I do the disc conversion or I might lop off a coil, havent decided yet.
    2 thumbs up from me on the cheap aerostar springs for the old Mopars. ride quality like its never had.

17. tailpipe47

tailpipe47

18. rockabilly-medic

rockabilly-medic

I finally got around to installing the aerostar coils today in the 54 Dodge Royal today... And unfortunately it to bottoms out hitting the bump stops.. It looks good but rides hard.. Any suggestions?

19. RodStRace

RodStRace

bump, sounds like these springs are shorter than the stock ones by a few inches and many have rough ride.

Just to make sure this post is useful...
    Specs
    CC850
    inside dia. 4.07"
    bar dia. 0.75"
    Spring rate 605 (too much?)
    Load 1825
    Install height 8.75" (too short?)
    Free height 11.65"
    One end square, one end TG

So it sounds like one that is about the same diameter, taller and maybe a bit softer would be looking into.
    Using this source
    http://www.moogproblemsolver.com/moog/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/MOOG_Coil_Springs_Spec.pdf

I see
    inside dia. 4.08"
    bar dia. 0.75"
    Spring rate 590
    Load 860 (too low?)
    Install height 12"
    Free height 13.458"
    99-03 S-10 application, 69 bucks a pair at rockauto, constant rate

Also
    inside dia. 4.08"
    bar dia. 0.703"
    Spring rate 406 (too low?)
    Load 1881
    Install height 11.5"
    Free height 15.93" (4.3 inches longer, hard to install?)
    various GM applications (stiffer than 77-81 Z28), 67 bucks a pair at rockauto, constant rate

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  20. RodStRace

RodStRace

Blownfuel, that last post is from 4 years ago!
    My pile is still sitting on the hoist in the garage. Gotta move all the other junk and get back on it.
    Sure hope some more guys with runners and spring solutions jump on here!

21. Look at the CC851 spring, the CC850 was too short for my '59 Ford and I'm not sold on the advertised spring rate that is around 600 lbs/inch. The CC851 has a better rate over my stock springs that should give a better ride. I'm using my stock springs less 1 coil, calculates to a 495 lb spring.

22. Need to change front springs. seems like many have tried the moog cc850. There is and Eaton MC5898 that is made for the coupe. Big price difference. Need an opinion from someone that has been using the MOOG for a while or the Eaton. I currently have stock coils with 2 coils cut. steering is binding.

RodStRace likes this.
  23. BDUB77

BDUB77

I’ve been running the cc850s on my 50 Plymouth for a year and a half. They greatly improved the handling.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

RodStRace likes this.
  24. bobd1976

bobd1976
    from Illinois

I have had the Moog 850's on my 48 Plymouth for several years. Cut them one inch past a full coil. Ride is excellent and the ride height is right where I wanted it. p5.jpg

hotrodbob and RodStRace like this.
  25. Thanks guys. I just ordered a set.