Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Saxxon....yes the little 301 will need a tail wind for sure...But I took the governor off it, and new clutch so lets see what some 7,000rpm launches look like...:) Won't be in the 9's but for the smallest sbc in the shootout it might surprise you.....plus just fun to make a pass or 2 in this shootout!!!

beebee78 likes this.
  2. Danny G

Danny G

It takes a very strong small block to put a 55 in the nines. I raced a 55 for years and they are heavy and built like a sail. I took my Stude to the track the other night and my best 60 foot was 1.34 which was good for it but it got loose after that so I got my new MTs and got to go back. It will run a mid 10 but thats about it. I know my Stude is about 350 pounds lighter than a tri 5 unless it has a lot of fiberglass. I am working on getting my gear ratio right but I got the hilborn working good on this motor

3. Dodgeboy, that seat looks real neat, better than that giant potato chip you had in there.:)

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I just installed some hood pins and some of the good spicer u joints.
    I wanted to put up a picture of my hood pins (I was kinda proud of them my first car with them and stickers) but I haven't figured that part out on the new HAMB.

5. Ya, I know what ya mean, this new layout has got me "missing some shifts" also.

6. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

I can't wait to see what she does this year Eric!

7. Same potato chip, now its a vinyl coated potato chip... LOL...

Almost done with the tin...

And then I finally get to build a real powertrain and then assemble the whole deal.

8. Nope, the new bare steel color is just fine. Maybe she was upset her foot can't reach the loud pedal... Or maybe she was discussing just how few working days are left before July 18...

9. powrshftr

powrshftr

Engine buttoned up,frost plug replaced,filled with water......now another water leak somewhere in the lower timing cover/water pump area.
    This is getting old real quick.

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Leaks suck!....woop it's ASS!!

11. powrshftr

powrshftr

I'm all over it Brother!

Heading out to pick up gaskets this morning,then tear into it and get the spewing shut down!:)

Scott

12. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Falfa-

Glad to hear you have found some time to work on that field car...is the orange one going to be ready for the Meltdown?

I hope you like this little video...I thought it might be a good idea for you to see this and be able to read the trunk lid...in case it is too far down the track in July for you to make it out...

13. Red71

Red71
    from Illi-noise

I was going to bring my 64 Olds to the Meltdown if I got to look period correct.
    Two weeks ago I went to Byron with it , got it to run 10.95 @122. this car hasent been
    on the track in 6 years. This was with a new set of slicks. I did put on a set of street
    tires a few days ago . Thinking maybe I could just make some smokey passes with it ,
    but that isnt going to be any fun after getting in the tens.

14. Saxxon

Saxxon

RED71 please tell me you're still bringing the Ford. the event wouldn't be the same without you endlessly cruising around the grounds in the big white boat.

15. Red71

Red71
    from Illi-noise

will do, I did put some miles on that car around the track. Its not fast but it works great as a golf cart.

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

My new hood pins. Lets see if I can load the picture. IMAG0187.jpg

17. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Anyone staying at the Alpine Inn in Rockford? Or has anyone stayed there?

18. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

What's the track situation for Thursday night. We are probably gonna roll into town around 10.

19. 9sectruck

9sectruck

I am, but coming from the UK. Never been to the area before but the reviews on TripAdvisor were very good.
    Hitch a ride in that Henry J ?? lol

20. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

We would have to push that but I'm bringing my dad's Willys! I'm sure you'll approve! LOL

21. powrshftr

powrshftr

Seems like I can't beg borrow or steal a stretch of good luck lately....distributor showed up with the wrong cap and rotor,filled the rad only to find a big water leak.
    So now the front end of the engine is coming apart for a water pump gasket (a huge pain in the ass on a Ford),and I still need to bleed the brakes,and get the wiring all de-bugged.Aaaaarrrgh!

Scott

22. Scott, I'm still working on getting the engine together, and waiting for the car to get released from the chassis hospital. I feel your pain, do you feel mine?

23. powrshftr

powrshftr

As long as my block isn't cracked,I'm gonna be ok,but until the first test drive,I'm gonna be sweating Brother!
    How is everything looking with the car and motor?Close to schedule,or getting scary?

Scott

24. powrshftr

powrshftr

Well...apparently Mr Clumsy Fingers here has forgotten how to stab in a distributor over the winter....frickin thing is giving me a hard time here.
    What an amateur..! Lol!

Scott

25. Saxxon

Saxxon

The Fuel Injected Suicide Machine is Alive !!
    My brother fired the Prefect for the first time last night... and I wasn't there.
    I'm torn between being seriously pissed that I wasn't there to see - and happy we've stepped past this hurdle.

Apparently it's loud as hell and it was blowing stuff off the walls and shelves... all I can say is ... AWESOME !!! As Mike Belina says - "It's all about the show".

Next step - move under it's own power and a burnout out the back door !

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  26. We will be there. Gates close at 8 but you will be able to stay in the holding area.

27. speedwise

speedwise

Wonder how many racers coming are HAMB members?

28. 62Furious

62Furious

I feel the pain, I am rebuilding a 68 Cuda and the brakes and electrical gremlins are holding me up to pre -trip the Furious

29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Hay Scott dont force it get a bigger hammer.

30. powrshftr

powrshftr

So far today got it fired again,no leaks so far,still chasing electrical gremlins,but gonna bleed the brakes after I get the pipes hung on it so I can put a few miles on it to sort it all out...

Doesn't electrical work on cars just make you wanna stab somebody?I mean even electricians say that doing wiring on cars is a complete bummer for them!lol!

Scott

Ps: Furious,I am green with envy over that Barracuda.A friend of mine had a 68 in high school and I have loved those cars ever since.
    Did you catch the video of Bucky Hess jamming the King Kuda into the wall?Damn shame,but I think his driving saved it from being worse.

Scott