Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

2. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

3. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

4. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

5. vintageracer37

vintageracer37

I see the Go-Pro. Is there Youtube to follow?

6. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

7. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

8. Josh...if its on ....I'll be booking my flight.....you put on a great show...:)

9. 29 Speedster

29 Speedster
    from Colorado

The Winchester Old Timers will be at Winchester (Indiana) Speedway as part of the speedway's 100th Anniversary Celebration, along with Winged Sprints and an ARCA Races the same weekend. The Old Timers will have limited track time due to the other activities during the weekend. There should be a number of older race cars there: Sprints, Modifieds and Other cars.

10. 29 Speedster

29 Speedster
    from Colorado

Dates for Winchester event: 4-5-6 July

11. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

How limited????
    mac miller in INDY

12. 29 Speedster

29 Speedster
    from Colorado

On the 4th, they will share track time with the Winged Sprint Event, on the 5th, track time will be shared with the ARCA Practice and Qualifying, but on the 6th, only on the track for pre-race activities. Sorry I don't know the specific times. Your can probably get more information from Mickey Thompson; at: [email protected]. I have attached the registration form for your information.

Attached Files:

13. easter

easter

TJ Slideways just Tweeted Bryan Clauson has made a deal to run The Indy 500 in 2015. Very cool. Even cooler if half The Little 500 field had Indy rides, too.

Graystoke likes this.
  14. Crudbro

Crudbro

15. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Who is the car owner? Glad to see him get another shot.

16. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

It's the Jonathan Byrd family; they originally announced it was for 2016 then moved it up a year. Their goal is to make it a long-term deal.

17. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

That would be Dan Shaw's truck. Josh's Father. Cool truck.

Crudbro likes this.
  18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Speaking of Indy... Gary

1-race-in-a-rut.jpg

19. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

The Hoosier 100 was the maiden voyage of my midget with the new and improved fuel system. It ran GREAT on alky with no heating issues at all. My night ended by running over a huge screw driver going into turn 3 and ripping through my RR. Even with the flat tire I had an awesome night and so glad the car finally runs how it is supposed to. Next stop is the Indianapolis Motor Speedway next weekend. Can't wait.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

slobitz likes this.
  20. easter

easter

I'd also like to see Indy rides for Brian Gerster, Brian Olson, JoJo Helberg, Ryan Litt, Jacob Wilson, etc, all the boys in Xtreme Sprint Car Series would be great! Would somebody please start an oval series with "Big Cars" for all the Sprint Car Pilots?

21. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

"Who is the car owner?"
    "It's the Jonathan Byrd family"

Actually, the Byrds are doing a rent-a-team/sponsor deal with with KV racing.
    the Byrds own the driver and paint job... KV owns the car, crew and everything else.

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  22. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

HA! usac is doing just the opposite by killing all of pavement racing and snipping whatever thin thread that connected these guys with INDY.
    Frankly, the current pavement wing supermodified/sprint car things, with their 18" wide, consumer quality, bias ply tires, offer very little useful experience for moving up to pro level, radial tire, classes in indycar or nascar.
    nascar/usac tried to start their infamous "super silver safety crown specracer series" a few years ago, but the cars were so ugly and pathetic that nascar pulled the plug..... There are still a couple dozen of these hopeless junkers rotting away in disillusioned owners garages.
    Had they started with something like this, it might have been successful! T Mt Lawn Oct 2011 046[1]-1-2 copy 2.jpg

Last edited: May 31, 2014
    slobitz likes this.
  23. easter

easter

I agree Mac. I watch these young guys and wonder where they get to go from here. Maybe 1 out of 100 gets to go sit in a stock car. I used to like it when an Indy guy would occasionally drive a stock car (AJ, Mario,etc), but to not see them in an open wheel car the majority of the time would be a crime. I see the Xtreme Sprint Car Series a couple times a year and, I know, they're all wings and body panels, but the people involved remind me of the old IMCA days when my dad drove. Everyone is so approachable, friendly, and fast! Remember the days of "Big" teams sitting around in the pits after a race and having a couple beers with other teams and fans? These guys still do it. And, JoJo Helberg was leading the last two features I watched and blew a right rear. My push mower has better rubber on it. Watch Brian Gerster turn Bristol for an average 150 mph and try to figure out why someone hasn't snatched him up for an Indy ride. "Those sprint cars are dependent on wings". Maybe so, but I think Indy cars are, too. Ok, maybe I'm just getting old. But, if we can't have the old style race cars, at least we should have "old style" heros: sprint car drivers from right here in the ol' USA climbing in their Indy 500 ride every May. I mentioned a few names up above, but forgot Tim Cox and his son Jason Cox: two fast guys who will sit and have a hot dog with you anytime. Heck, Jason's sister sings the National Anthem and every track they go to! How Old School American is that?

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  24. vintageracer37

vintageracer37

Sad news. I just learned that "Speedy" Bill Smith has passed. R.I.P.

25. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

here's another one from Latimore....

[​IMG]

26. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

How big is Latimore? It looks like a decent size track.

27. racer5c

racer5c

1/4 mile, I could probably get you a ride

RABs32 likes this.
  28. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

29. rooman

rooman

Do it Bob!

30. easter

easter

I really like the old cars in the infield at Latimore. It makes it seem like you're really watching sprints back in the '60s.