Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Picked up a 31 A roadster project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Barillaro Speed Emporium, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Took my wife's 93 year old grandmother for a short roadster ride today. She called it a flivver, a term I had never heard of. I looked up the meaning and was shocked at the accurate definition.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

2. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

That's freaking awesome man!

3. Spent about 4 hours cleaning spindles, shocks, and hardware today. Things are slow but I'm still pushing forward.

Attached Files:

4. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

"flivver".now that's cool.

5. hilltopgaragede

hilltopgaragede
    from Delaware

"Flivver" - now that's Kool! Tell your grandmom thanks for the history lesson. Best part is, that's something you will always remember about her.:)

6. Rolled the frame out and finally starting to get the B motor ready for the chassis. I'm going to use the A trans for now so I can enjoy the car this summer.

7. Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

8. Kiwifruit

Kiwifruit

Looking good! Very tidy.

9. Thank You

10. Pulled the 32' trans and going to check out the B motor before I bolt everything up.

Attached Files:

11. When I was in High School our football team played a football team from across the state called the Kingsford Flivvers. Their field was called "Flivver Field." It had a picture of a Model T. I had no idea what a Flivver was back then. I looked it up and have remembered the word from then on.

12. Installed stock A motor mounts today. Was going to use a float a Mount but I want this car to look like it was built in the 40's

Attached Files:

13. Finally got the B motor in the engine stand and pulled the oil pan. Has the factory counter balanced crank and so far things look good. I have a local old time model A guru coming over this week to show me how to check everything out and give the engine a once over. With any luck I will have the engine and trans back in the chassis before our open house on May 3rd.

14. Wow that's bitchen! Just juice brake that thing.Drop the front a bit with the banger. And leave the rest to the elements:)

15. Just a bit of trivia from someone who has made all of the mistakes and hopefully learned from the mistakes. I restored a 4 cylinder ’32 roadster in the seventies and have a ’31 RDPU with a Model B engine and Model A transmission. Here comes the trivia:

1. Although they look like they are in the same location at first glance, the four bolt holes in the sides of the flywheel housing are a different height between the Model A and Model B relative to the engine and you can’t just bolt up the Model A engine mounts to these holes on a Model B flywheel housing.
    2. The length of the plug wires (bronze strips) is different between the Model A and Model B (with the Model B being slightly longer).
    3. A&L Auto parts, (860) 693-2620, reproduces the Model B condenser although I usually just take a Model A condenser (be sure to get the highest quality you can), elongate the attachment hole, and add a pig tail.
    4. Renner’s corner, rennerscorner.com, (734) 428-8424, is a good source for Model B engine parts.
    5. Be sure that your B engine with the counter weighted crank is not really a 1933-34 engine. The 1933-34 engine was shorter (crankshaft pulley, generator mount, water pump). The 1932 parts are relatively cheap and will bolt on giving you the engine length you want.
    6. After you install the B engine with the Model A flywheel housing you won’t be able to remove the rear main to check it without taking a lot of things apart.
    7. Be sure to run an aluminum fan. They look great polished if you have other polished aluminum on the engine. Buy a new one as some of the early reproductions had problems. The original 2 blade fans tend to come apart (just ask the Model A guys). The 4 blade 1933-34 fans were only slightly better in terms off coming apart.
    8. Be sure to run a Model B flywheel (or a cut down Model A). A stock Model A flywheel cannot be used with a Model B transmission if you plan to go to one later.
    9. If you go to a Model B transmission later the mount for the brake and clutch pedals and the wishbone is available from Dennis Cling at clingsaftermarket.com, (480) 777-1202 or maybe Bert’s, (303) 293-3673.

Charlie Stephens

16. Getting the engine ready for the chassis. Had to make some room in the garage so I set the body on the frame for now.

Attached Files:

17. Well I made a lot of progress on the 31'. Engine and trans is in and I mocked up the hood top and sides. I hate to say this but I bought a project car that I wasn't looking for and I am going to post the 31' for sale in the classifieds. I really wish I could get this one running but I can only do so much. IMG_0203.JPG IMG_0203.JPG

Attached Files:

18. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

what a solid roadster....can't be many more like that around.

19. sota

sota

Jim some one is going is to end up with a great project !!.I won't let the cat out of the bag but your new project car is Bitchin. Have a save trip out west and back. Can't wait to see the car next week!

20. Hey Ed, Thanks for the use of your trailer! I will see you next week

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just found this thread and mow the car is looking for a new home, someone will be getting a great deal. Look forward to seeing the new project, whatever that may be, nothing wrong with upgrading the collection. Bob

22. Thank You Bob,
    I am trying to be responsible and after rolling the 31' outside it's hard to sell it but something has to go. This car will make someone a great little hot rod and a perfect candidate for TROG 2014

23. Brought the new project home and I have zero space. Check out my ad for the 31' roadster!

Attached Files:

24. Dave50

Dave50

What is that w the teardrop hood!???