Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Jalopy Journal & The H.A.M.B. - Version 7.0

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 12, 2014.

1. K13....I realize I can move my cursor over there so now I will make hundreds of extra cursor moves next week.I hate to think about a years worth, to see something that was always just there. I guess that is my complaint, it is less simple and basic. I am trying to stay positive, I work better with hammers and cutting torches than computer mouses.

2. You're a master, be proud of that

3. Still learning all the new features. Loving it so far. Like that the page numbers are at the top and bottom of the pages and now in larger font. I'll echo a few other observations I have seen about the bright white though, kinda rough on the eyes. Maybe mimicking the yellowed pages of old car magazines stored in the attic for thread backgrounds....

Oh look! that neat "TOP" tab in the bottom corner of the page.

Overall this is a swell update, just the Bee's Knees.

Holy crap this is #666 on this thread! THE DEVIL MADE ME NITPICK, I SWEAR!

4. I noticed that the roll-over feature on the avatars doesn't work on one of my computers that has an older browser version. I think it's IE7. It works great on IE10 though. I just tested it using Google Chrome and it also works fine. I'm wondering if you just need to update your browser. Maybe Ryan will know more.

5. I just leave my cursor positioned on that side of the screen and as I scroll down the page each avatar changes as I come to the members post no need to move my cursor everytime I want to see the info.

6. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

It took me a while to find it, but now I go there to sign in. Lots of sites (especially auto insurance) seem to delight in hiding the sign-in screen and I don't know why since it is the first place we all need to go to.

7. I'm diggin' it!
    Thanks Ryan

8. alchemy

alchemy

I found the quick-route button. It's at the top right corner, a little box-in-a-box with an arrow.

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This: New Feature: Quick Jumping!

10. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ditto. Kind of feels like nit-picking, didn't want to pile any more shit on the Boss . . . but since you said it, I have to agree. So cool to always be reminded of the fact that this is a World Wide Forum, so many Europeans, Canadians, Aussies, Kiwis, and the occasional South American, Japanese, etc. Took no effort to see that before, now it takes extra effort.

So fucking cool that Ryan extends the virtual suggestion box, though. Now he has to wade through a shipload of opinions! Ha! That's what he gets for messing with our HAMB!

11. titus

titus

Another quick Q, how do we unsubscribe from getting notifacations from getting emails that someone has started or replied to a conversation, i found other places to unsubscribe from other stuff but couldnt find one for conversations?

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I bet we could make this happen for ya... I mean, make location more readily accessible. I'll work on it.

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Here ya go:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/account/contact-details

14. titus

titus

Thanks, it was hiding away from the others :)

15. Squablow

Squablow

I see the cursor/preview thing is back so that's a plus, and I like the bright red page numbers better than the slightly grey shaded ones, so that's another improvement.

I second the idea of having location listed by name without having to cursor over it, a lot of times if you're responding to someone, knowing where they are makes a difference for the answer.

16. Squablow

Squablow

Also, I used to find all of the threads I started by searching my user name and clicking "threads started by user" but I don't see that as an option anymore, how would I do that in the new version?

17. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I'd agree on this one as I've used it to find tech articles, etc. that I know were posted by a certain member. For Squablow, I know I've gone back and found one of his 4 dr. to 2 dr. conversion articles this way. Presently, I'd have to look through a search of all of his posts (vs. posts he started) to find the tech article.

Ryan, Thanks for all the work! I'm still getting used to the new look and navigating through some of the new features.
    I tend to agree with the bright white background and small text concerns. I noticed that when the results of an advanced search populate, the text of the title and body is very small. You just about have to open each post to read the message.

Would also like to see user location under their avatar.
    Speaking of avatar's; The default avatar's overwhelming presence is driving me nuts. That "dude" has more posts than Hot Rod Primer:D. Time for a tutorial on how to add an avatar. Maybe if the default av was REALLY bad, folks would be more motivated to change it.

For the future; The HAMB Marketplace could easily be styled up a bit by placing buttons for the sub titles. For example, in classifieds; "Parts for sale", "Cars for sale", etc. How about something like finned valve cover buttons that feature "cars for sale" in the slot where Weiand or Edelbrock would be?

18. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

19. pcterm2

pcterm2

as usual a good job

20. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

It stopped for me also after re-signed on. I'm not a serious computer guy and I figured most of the new features out in an hour or so. I like it, but change doesn't bother me too much. I like the new Hamb.

21. brady1929

brady1929

I am liking it more. I would like to see the "view all" function on a thread again. And no I did not read this entire thread to see if this was brought up previously.

22. Me too.

23. mike bowling

mike bowling

It's gonna take a bit to get this all straight in my rusty old noggin, but it sure is purty! Nice job, you may take three giant steps forward! Mike from Mass.

24. Thanks for getting the social groups going again Ryan. Can you work on the albums now?

25. ken bogren

ken bogren

In the cars for sale classifieds there used to be an icon indicating the ad contained photos. I'm not seeing that anymore.
    Is there a new way to tell if an ad has photos?

If not, it'd be nice to see that come back.

26. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

GREAT job on the social albums !!!!!!
    Getting Better every day ryan stop.jpg

Hopefully the image links are moving up the list

face cover.jpg

Thanks for OVERHAUL

27. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

If I've missed seeing it, please direct me to post on using PM feature if it's around. If not, then please, help me out, If not yet available, hope it's soon.

28. Muttley

Muttley

Look here.

29. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Is there any word on if you guys will bring back the green/red notification of new posts on threads you commented on previously. It saved a lot of time to just look for a color so see if you got an update under your posts. The way it is right now you have to manually go to each post or am I missing something?

30. It is even better, when you post on a thread, your avatar shows up superimposed on the avatar in the index. As I scroll down, my lakester art stands out on all threads I have participated in!