Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ginnie Shifter set in C4

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fullfendered, May 18, 2014.

1. Fullfendered

Fullfendered
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Trying to install Gennie Shifter on C4, tried searching for pictures of other set ups. As you can see by pictures the shifter lever goes forward and transmission lever goes backwards. 1st picture shifter and transmission in Park. 2nd picture shifter in Park, transmission in drive. 3rd picture shifter and transmission in Drive. Any suggestions and especially pictures would be helpful. Thanks in advance for any advise.
    Shifter 2 001.JPG Shifter 2 002.JPG Shifter 2 003.JPG

2. I believe there are instructions on line. Did ya google Gennie Shifters

3. That is how mine is set up in my 53. I like it that way, with the shifter lever towards the dash it makes room for my girl when I am in drive.

4. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

Can you post a picture of the whole gennie mount bracket, showing attachment of shifter to mount and mount to trans. I have mounted a gennie on a ford fmx and it worked, but our park was all the way to the rear of tran not front. Ours also had multiple holes so shifter could move from forward to mid to rear. Also there is a bolt thru the shift and you can loosen that and adjust the shift lever, also to adjust neutral safety switch.I have gennies also on three of my chevie 700-r4's and they pretty much worked the same as the fmx. They do take some adjusting and a couple I had to make longer linkage rods.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From what I can see on their sight all the way forward with the handle is park and from there the shift pattern matches the original pattern of the trans in use.
    This ot shifter on a C-4 equipped Ford should show the pattern and if your shift pattern matches that you have it right. P_R-N-D-2-L from what my old eyes see with P being with the handle all the way forward.
    [​IMG]
    By the way, your photos are so blooming dark that I don't think there is a one of us who can tell what the hell we are looking at. We really need to see photos that we can see clearly to be able to provide any help on things like this.

6. Put one in my 28 rpu with no problems. But it was a while back, My trans was a 77 c-4 Mustang floor shift with the lever up like yours i believe so i don't know why there is a problem, You can even adjust the stick to suit your needs. Very simple.

7. Hard to tell what the question is from the photos for me.
    But if you are saying that the shifter and the trans go in the wrong direction then be advised that a C4 from a factory floor shift car has the lever upside down from a transmission that came out of a column shifted car. You can change the transmission shift lever to one that points down instead of up if that will help.

8. Fullfendered

Fullfendered
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here are some better pictures, 1st picture shifter and transmission in Park. 2nd picture shifter in Park, transmission in drive. 3rd picture shifter and transmission in Drive. Do I have the shift position wrong on the transmission? Lever on transmission all the way forward Park or 1st?
    Again thanks for the replies.
    Leadsled, like that idea, I'll keep that in mind.
    shifter 5 001.JPG shifter 5 002.JPG shifter 5 003.JPG shifter 4 012.JPG shifter 4 013.JPG shifter 4 014.JPG shifter 4 015.JPG shifter 4 016.JPG

9. i don't know if this helps, i guess you will need a bell crank linkage but here is what i did to get the shifter where it belongs on a powerglide

Attached Files:

10. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

I believe Gennie supplied that lever with the complete shift kit fot the year and model trans. I know I got one with the fmx and for the 700-r4's. I am wondering if the op bought this from Gennie as a kit or from a private party. I have also rebent the lever off the shifter to help with the sequencing of the gears. It looks like in the last picture the shifter can be moved to the rear of the trans as long as it will clear the seat.

11. The shifter knob should be all the way forward in P. The arm on the trans should also be all the way back. There should be a Gennie supplied arm attachment also.

Gennie Shifter likes this.
  12. [QUOTE Do I have the shift position wrong on the transmission? Lever on transmission all the way forward Park or 1st?

Just twist the output shaft, you will know if you have it in park or not. I think you have it backwards and if I remember right there is an extension piece supplied by Gennie that bolts to the transmission lever.

13. I'm glad you agree Rich B.

14. Fullfendered

Fullfendered
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had the lever on the transmission in wrong position for park, thanks for all the replies.