Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help with Alan Grove brackets & belt slipping.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OL 55, May 14, 2014.

1. I just got done installing AC in my 40 for my upcoming drive across country. I'm using Alan Grove brackets on a 1970 SBC with the short water pump. I'm getting the dreaded belt squeal with the AC on, mostly at idle. I don't see any way of getting two belts on the compressor with this set up but maybe I'm missing something. Any ideas??

Sorry about the picture, just tilt your head! :)

-2ac40.jpg

2. Wish I could help. All I can do is give you a bump back to the top...........Don.

3. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

I think your problem is with the alum pulleys

4. Special Ed

Special Ed

Pulley alignment is ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL! If one is off just a r.c.h., it will squeal. If they're dialed in, your belt could be either too loose or too tight. Don't start spraying shit on there to fix it. Keep adjusting until it's gone. I spent about ten hours getting mine correct.
    You are using a brand new belt, right?

5. TwoLaneBlacktop

TwoLaneBlacktop
    from Burien

Make dang sure you have the right size belt. You might need to go to a slightly wider belt that fits into the groove better. You can also try a different style belt, i.e., solid vs cogged. I have aluminum pulleys on my car without any problems at all and they've been on there for 15 years. The belts I use are cogged instead of solid.

6. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

7. Muttley

Muttley

Ten hours? You obviously have more patience than I do. I probably would have set it on fire and extinguished it with a sledge hammer after the first hour. :D :D

8. Belt alighnment looks good and I have a cogged belt like they suggest. The only pulley that the belt doesn't seat fully in is the water pump pulley. The squealing problem happens mostly at idle. Oh, and thanks for not busting my balls for putting AC in it! ;)

9. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Have you called Alan Grove? He might have a suggestion. I have had the same setup on two cars with no problems.

10. 29moonshine

29moonshine

the belt may not be wide enough causing it to slip under load

11. I'll have to give Grove a call, and maybe touch base with Vintage Air too. Thanks for the input fellows.

Okiedokie, I tried to PM you but I haven't figured that out yet on the revamped forum. You say you have the same set up? What type of belt are you using?

12. [QUOTE="OL 55, post: 10422948,

Okiedokie, I tried to PM you but I haven't figured that out yet on the revamped forum. [/QUOTE]......Click on his screen name, then click on it again when his profile page appears. That should expand his page and there is a place (showing your avatar) where you can send him a message.

13. I'm not sure why we don't get a notification pop-up like before when we have a message. Maybe it's still in the works.:confused:

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks like the belt is to narrow for the comp pully.

15. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

I just installed an LS2 in my '36 coupe. I used the Alan Grove pulley for my A/C as well.
    The serp belt on mine was chirping pretty bad too. A friend suggested getting a laser alignment.
    I added a little belt dressing on and it disappeared for now. If it comes back I guess I'll get a laser alignment.

16. Gman0046

Gman0046

My 63 BelAir has a recent Vintage Air system installed on a Chevy 350 with no belt squeal. The A/C compressor belt is a Gates XL part number 7550.
    Gary

17. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Gates XL works for me..Sometimes it takes a little time to wear in or seat..

18. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

"Okiedokie, I tried to PM you but I haven't figured that out yet on the revamped forum. You say you have the same set up? What type of belt are you using?"

I have Gates 7575 XL on the A/C and Gates 7535 XL on the Alt. Hope that helps.

19. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Also, my pulleys are steel, powdercoat on comp. and chrome on alt. Failed to mention ps pump belt. It is Gates 7340 on an aluminum pulley.

20. Thanks guys. I'm running a Dayco belt on mine. I'm going to put a few more miles on it this weekend. I'll be running up to the Jalopy show down Saturday so I'll do some more investigating after that.

21. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I had one belt squeal that turned out to be an old (stale) new belt. It was probably on the rack at Kragen for many years without being sold, and when I bought a good fresh belt, the issue disappeared. The thing is it didn't seem stiff until compared to a good one, but the rubber had hardened up some.

22. 60 Belair

60 Belair

You need to make sure your high side pressure is ok, not enough air movement across the condenser and the hi side pressure will go way up causing the ac comp to basically try to lock up

23. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Oh yes! I totally forgot the A/C system itself!

It'll do that from other faults in the system as well. I've had elevated pressures from clogged orifices, bloated/burst dessicant in driers, and just too much oil/freon in the system.