Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Jalopy Journal & The H.A.M.B. - Version 7.0

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 12, 2014.

1. Looks great. a job well done.

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Dude... That cut runs deep... My shit looks nothing like Facebook. I loathe Facebook like none other.

3. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

who owns Instagram? hahahah

[​IMG]

4. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Overall I like it, but I'm in the FONT TOO BIG camp. What would be cool though, since some folks like it and some don't, would be the ability to set display sizing in our user Preferences.

I'm also missing the help text style preview when hovering over thread titles. Right now there is just the HAMB style, and "default" which is the skin of the framework you built the site in that I kinna doubt you want us to see.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I know, right?

The difference is in the terms of service and the privacy policy. Before I left Facebook, a friend of mine showed me my internal Facebook profile - what they sell to media conglomerates. Through that, they had me grouped into all kind of demographics. Things like:

1. This user has traveled to these places in the last 6 months.
    2. This user has posted images of kids between the ages of 0 and 4 this many times.
    3. This user has a propencity to buy cars, electronics, etc...
    etc... and much, much more... My profile was over 400 tables...

They learn this stuff from EXIF data of the photos you post as well as the location of your phone when you post. It's gross... and they sell it all... They are like a commercial version of the NSA.

Instagram, while owned by the some people has a much different TOS and PP. They tried to change it when they bought Instagram, but people revolted... So, they changed it back... They can't sell this kind of data...

6. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

okay so maybe I missed this question in the pages and pages of this thread but I sure do miss this button. its the one I clicked the most and now I cant seem to find it....

[​IMG]

7. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Then she became an Alliance member, and lived happily ever after.

8. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Look at the far left button of the new menu, bottom item. ;)

pinkynoegg likes this.
  9. 117harv

117harv

I like the new format/layout, some folks here make it seem like it's so difficult to navigate? I have seen several questions asked and answered several times in this thread, as well hundreds of times in other threads. Many new members as well as some long time HAMBers ask questions that with just a little effort on their part can and would be answered. Run your cursor over various icons, tabs, words, etc. and explore what info comes up, it's not that hard.

At the top of each page Ryan posted a paragraph explaining what is going on with the social groups, yet I have seen several posts asking what is up with them? Folks, you need to look and read and your questions will be answered.

Thanks again Ryan,

Signed, a happy HAMBer!

10. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

holy cow! thanks for that!

travisfromkansas likes this.
  11. OK so how do you "leave facebook?" just stop going there? Or is there a close my account button?
    -Pat

12. Definatly not at all like Facebook....I would be the first one out the door if it was!! I loath it like nothing else on earth.... Anyways...love the new HAMB, great job Ryan!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Ryan I have to say I love the fact that quoted messages are partially hidden makes for a much cleaner look to a thread not having to scroll past the same pictures over and over because guys have quoted in the their reply and not deleted the photos.

14. I for one like the larger font size, easier on the eyes for us older guys.

15. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

The new HAMB.... It's better than sex

16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Me three. I'm on a Mac, which may affect the way it appears on-screen, but everything appears double-spaced, and triple-spaced between paragraphs. It's MORE than amply legible, and just means that going through a thread requires constant scrolling. Could we have an option to tighten up the line spacing to view the thread more compactly?

Otherwise, thanks for the overhaul; I'm sure you've considered it all carefully and have made worthwhile tweaks that we'll find useful as we get accustomed to them.

17. metal man

metal man

Ok, I asked six questions four pages ago, and the only one I've got an answer to was the new member thing(on another thread).

So, does anybody know......

1.What is my "status" and why would I update it?
    2. It says "no messages on your profile".what is that about ?
    3. What are"likes received"
    4. What are "trophy points "? I don't like the sound of that one for some reason.
    5. What are the little symbols under my album pictures? They don't do anything when I click on them.

And one new question...am I the only one that can't view participated topics on the iPhone app?

Thanks.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  18. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

I like the new format but can't make the advance search feature work. Nice job tho.

UPDATE - Logged off and back in and advance search feature now working. Thanks!

19. Mart

Mart

Ryan, if you could totally redesign the site to look at first glance a lot like the Jaguar Landrover internal web hub, that would help me get into less trouble at work.

Thanks.

Mart.

20. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

looks like we need to send a square pic for the avatar because the rectangular ones get distorted

21. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

The stark black #000 text set against a stark white #fff background is hard on the eyes. And now the font size is so large I can't keep a small browser window open in the corner to read posts while I work in other windows. Line spacing, font types, and font size could use some work but I'll get used to it. I'd definitely like to see some form of end-user controls for these settings. Otherwise, nice job on a huge migration to a new platform. I fully understand the level of effort that entails.

22. Muttley

Muttley

I keep seeing "the text is too big" complaints but I think it's great, you dont have to strain your eyes to read it. The new HAMB rocks.

[​IMG]

23. Old28

Old28

Ryan, Like the new HAMB layout, you guys did a fine job. I have one question, under parts for sale on the old forum we used to have 5-6 pages of new item.s each day and under the new setup there is only 4-5 with less item's per page. What's up?

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

We deleted all the old classified ads and started fresh.

25. metal man

metal man

I'm pretty happy with it over all. I don't really mind the text size and spacing,but I do feel like I'm reading a children's book. We'll get used to it.

As stated above, many of these questions can be answered by clicking on things to see what happens. Others can not, which is why I have questions. There are terms used on the new format that I have not heard or used before,but I guess if I don't know what it is, I don't need it.

26. RussTee

RussTee

Great job well done now you can go sleep for a week and let it settle.

27. alchemy

alchemy

At the bottom of a page the 2% shaded box behind the page number is too hard to see. Change it up to a 10% or so. Also, I miss seeing the first bit of text of a thread when you'd hover over the title.

28. The app on droid looks the same, thanks
    im getting use to the web version

29. i personally like the new updated/upgraded version, KICK-ASS.great job guys

30. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

When I search, and pick sort results by date, it seems like it's looking at when a thread was started. Is there a way for it sort by most recent thread activity?

Edit... I went back and checked the search results again, and it is sorting them newest to oldest, but it's leaving stuff out of the search results, even when I click on "search everything". For instance, if I search for the word Willys, and click on Titles Only, the 1933-1936 Willys Picture thread I started doesn't show up in the results, even though there was a new comment back on May 3rd.