Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Format, new suprises

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by OahuEli, May 13, 2014.

1. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I was glad to see the HAMB come back, but not so happy about some of the stuff that came up on my screen. The message about not getting PMs seemed to address an issue within the HAMB. Initially I resisted downloading this but figured this message meant something within the HAMB network. When I gave in and downloaded it all I got was a bunch of useless garbage from some website called INBOXACE. I can't even figure out how to get rid of this as it doesn't show up as an installed program.
    I've been here for over 8 years, a registered HAMB Alliance member since 2010 but have realized that the HAMB is no longer what it was, and maybe its time to move on. I'll probably check back from time to time. Eli

2. To much coffee.......

3. I haven't seen anything about any download needed for PMs ? Am I missing something ?

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

A download for pms? Huh? What you saw was not from us.... We don't require a download of any kind.

5. DRD57

DRD57

I got the same thing from inboxace. I downloaded it, it did nothing, now I need to get rid of it.

Do I need to give my laptop a shot of penicillin or something ?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Can someone please send me a screen shot of this ad requesting you to download something? Again, this is not from us... and I need to find the source.

7. I've had it appear a couple of times since the new site went live. But only when opening the home page when I was not logged in. The fact that I wasn't logged in is what made me suspicious of downloading anything. As soon as I logged on the ad disappeared and I pretty much figured out that it must have been some sort of malware or adware.

There's seldom any need to be that anxious to download this kind unknown software.

8. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Ryan

Found it!

Log out and you will see the image at the bottom, click on the You Have New Private Messages?" and you will see the top image.

Seems someone is using the insertion of ads for anonymous visitors (i.e. not logged in) to create confusion and spread this crap.

Shout if you need anything else.

Paul

1.png 2.png

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

FUCK THAT!!! I'm on it...

10. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Cool, ignore PM

11. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

yeah it all goes away when you log in

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks to @wex65 , I've got this one taken care of. It seems as if Google thinks this Inbox Viewer is perfectly legitimate. I disagree... It's been blocked.

Thanks and so sorry guys...

13. I fell for that "Inbox Viewer" as they were crankin' up the new site...It installed an assload of malware re-direct BS .. Took several M/W removal scans to get rid of it ..
    Then, once the new site was launched and I signed on everything was OK..went to my messages without any additional programs needed..

14. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

FYI - I cleaned out my cashe' before I left for work which means I have to log back in and when I came home from work - there was a Sign up to save my Password website.
    I ignored it as I recommend everyone one ignore it and just sign into the HAMB and it will go away.

It is lurking though to unsuspected users. IT IS MALWARE.

Just a FYI

15. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thanks Ryan,
    I was able to get rid of the INBOXACE file and my Malwarebytes security program caught some malware. Needless to say I'll be watching my security system pretty closely.
    Maybe I'll stick around after all and start a thread on my blown hemi powered Isetta.:eek::D

16. old round fart

old round fart
    from Norman Ok.

I had the same thing. Created ASK homepage. Clicked on box in upper right corner and clicked "remove ASK homepage" rebooted and it went away. Thanks Ryan for getting rid of the stuff.. Think I'll go to Lynix and leave Windows completely!

17. I would recommend using an ad-blocker. I downloaded AdBlock as an extension for Chrome - I never see ads - ever.