Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewportNic

NewportNic

2. NewportNic

NewportNic

3. NewportNic

NewportNic

On back... 1938 Pontiac Sedan
    [​IMG]

4. Johnboy46

Johnboy46

I've just read in Hemmings Classic Cars that Frank Hagerty,the founder of Hagerty Insurance ,and the restorer of this car died on March 18th ,aged 79. RIP.

5. And to add to this, we here on the HAMB are privileged to have people like you and Gary, who are willing to share your memories from that time period. Thank You!

6. Add me to the comment posted above. It was nice to be raised in a time when commercials didn't have to have a disclaimer posted in fine print. We didn't need disclaimers or warnings. If you brought it and got hurt or the product wasn't worth a crap, you just move on without trying to find someone else to blame for your screw up or bad choice.

7. Tango88

Tango88

There was something better and more honorable about this country in times past. What's changed? Consider the fact that in present day America there is one lawyer for every 265 citizens. Just something to ponder.

8. Chuck R

Chuck R

Sounds lot like my life, only I grew up in Fremont, which had its own Hot Rod culture back then. Man those were great days to be a kid. It was a way different experience than the youngsters of today. Too bad they will never know or understand what they have missed.
    chuck

9. joemac05

joemac05

:D:D OK I risk being thrown under a bus here but; I'm 71 and damned glad to be alive and enjoying my workshop and hot rods every day. If not for modern technology and medicine I'd have been stone cold dead a long time ago several times over. Every time I'm out cruising in my model A (Banger) and waving at all the well wishers and high fivers I just grin and thank my lucky stars. :cool: And living long enough to be the operator of two modern engine dynos is too cool as well. Gosh, when I think of all the bullshit things we built and ran back in the day. :eek: I might have gone faster with fewer bright ideas.

10. joemac05

joemac05

:D Trying to redeem myself...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  11. joemac05

joemac05

12. rarew30

rarew30
    from socal

I am so happy to read and imagine life that was less complicated......Thank you to all the guys that were able to take pictures and share with us guys now!

13. swi66

swi66

14. swi66

swi66

15. swi66

swi66

16. swi66

swi66

17. swi66

swi66

18. I think some of what I said was misinterpreted!
    I was talking about what I posted here, I'm not one of those the worlds gone to Hell in a hand basket types!
    I really enjoy my totally OT modern muscle car, there are many advantages
    to the modern world. I was simply pointing out that the 50's -60's were a wonderful time, that doesn't mean the world suck now!
    Time goes on, change is inevitable, no getting around that! I will always treasure my memories though!

Trojan Horse and empire like this.
  19. Mart

Mart

I'm sure the engineers at the luxury car manufacturer that made this beauty originally never spec'd the back axle for this!

What is it? Packard? Cadillac?

Mart.

20. joemac05

joemac05

Yessir, I love remembering and telling "back in my/the day" stories.

21. Sigh..... Yup, both are right! I'm in my 60s and was kinda at the tail-end of what I think was the 'golden era' of hotrodding which IMO was before all the factory doo-dads could be bought already on the cars. Not that I don't like the muscle era stuff. But those early home-built, engineered-under-a-shade-tree hot rods are a real treasure, as are those who grew up doing it! I like the new-tech stuff too.

I'd not want to run my '56 Fairlane coast to coast with no cruise control, no A/C, no premium sound system, etc. Likewise, I'd never think to take the new Expedition to a cruise-in! High fives and thumbs ups make the '56 very comfy when cruising and that's something we won't get in our newer rides.

Times have changed, old memories are great. But new tech ain't so bad either. Enjoying life! That's what it's all about. Many of the photos and stories on this thread sure do bring back some great memories.

22. I believe it's a Cadillac.

23. 31Atudor

31Atudor

I remember those fans on the generator. I had one sticking in the radiator tank on my 36 Sedan when I was a kid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.