Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT Whatcha don't see on the Interstate

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob K, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Passed this guy several times on I 80 while heading to Bonneville. He was going at least 75 mph. He must really love that couch. Maybe it and the car were all he had left after his divorce.

[​IMG]

B [​IMG] B

2. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

3. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

I got one somewhere of some fool in Phoenix drivin a mid 80s Nissan 200sx or something with the tiny trunk on the back. Anyway, I HAD to get a shot of it. The asshole had a 4 foot stack of wooden pallets on the TOP of his car, tied with rope and was driving about 65 MPH. I made a point to get in front of him.

4. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

Maybe he didn't think we had couches out west...

5. Tony

Tony

He probably thought that if he brought his couch with him , he can just unload it and sleep there instead of getting a hotel room..
    Much cheeper.
    [​IMG]
    Rat...

6. Mojo

Mojo

I got passed by a truck on Interstate that was carrying a small pine tree (think christmas tree), a bunch of 2x4's, and blocks that I could see piled on top of the tree (!?). Not a bit of it was tied down. I'm doing 75, and he passes me like i'm sitting still. It belongs to some contruction company, becuase I saw it every morning.

About 15 minutes later, I come up on that christmas tree in a lane. I swerve to avoid it. Then, some 2x4's laying in the road. I swerve around them. While swerving around them, I look farther forward and see a white box in the middle of the lane. It was too late to swerve, so I hit it dead on.

Well, it wasn't a box. It was a 1'x1'x3' block of white granet.

It made the front of my old 79 Malibu hop at least 6" in the air. I pulled over ASAP, and killed the motor, expecting to see oil everywhere. It hit clean on the crossmember, which kept it off the oil pan. Then, a big chuck hit the driver's side A-arm, and bent the lip back, put a 1" deep dent in a 2" square trans crossmember, put a 3" deep, 3' long dent in the DS floor, and put a 2" deep pucker in the bottom of the gas tank. It also caught the exhaust pipe crossing over to the right (both pipes run on the right side until after the trans), ripping it off the manifold.

I limped it home, and kept a lookout for that dipshit in the white truck for at least the next two weeks. Never saw him again.

7. Ahhhh, yes. The roads are crammed fulla idjits from north to south, east to west. I was coming home from last years' Back-to-the-fifty's in a friend's 41 ford pickup. I was rolling about 65 when a late model ford 4X4 passed me doing about 75. It was a very windy day and as the guy passed me, I could see all of his camping gear was heaped in the back with a big metal beer cooler perched on top of the pile. Nothing was tied down at all and as the fool pulled back into my lane, a wind gust caught the cooler and it LEAPED out, onto the interstate right in front of me! I pulled hard to the right, hitting it with the left front fender while praying the cooler wasn't full of gold bars or something equally heavy. The impact swung the pickup violently back to the left, cancelling out my paniced right turn and leaving the little truck pointed straight down the interstate again with a grinding noise and the front end darting around like crazy. I had to pull over.
    Luckily, the brain donor pulled over too, having seen the carnage in his mirror and I was aable to get his insurance company name, license number etc etc ......the damage was 4100 smacks!
    My buddy was happy to get the $$$, Plus, he sold the truck before he hadda get it fixed....he took me and Mrs Rocky out to dinner with the proceeds from the sale.

8. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

When my sister was moving, we had a bunch of guys over helping to load the rented truck. I was the truck driver, but a few other guys showed up with pickups to help us get it all in one trip.

She had a huge garbage bag filled with empty pop and beer cans and plastic bottles, and asked if anyone wanted them. (They are worth 10 cents apeice here in Michigan at any party/grocery/convenience store). One clown helping out announced that he'd take 'em...then ordered me to put 'em in the bed of his truck!

Well, I figured anyone too lazy to carry a lightweight bag of booty out to their own rig deserves what he gets...so I set the big ol' bag of empties way up on top of everything else...then hopped into the U-haul and took off!

The guy arrived at the new house cussing me out...and relating the story of how the bag launched into the air at about 50mph going down Michigan Avenue through Inkster at night. He said he looked in the rearview mirror and saw dark figures darting from the shadows to scoop up the cans and bottles before they even stopped bouncing!

Like it was raining dimes in da ghetto!

9. Pigiron

Pigiron

Couches? We don't need no stinkin' couches! [​IMG]

10. Micha

Micha

Now that's what I call bench racing... [​IMG]

11. lulabelle

lulabelle

Kinda off topic.But I took this while driving.Plywood wing!!!

12. Missouri_Mike

Missouri_Mike

I've always heard that drivin' them big Lincolns was like driving your living room couch, but damn, this guy's making sure of it... [​IMG]

13. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

I imagine most of the roads in your folks areas see an increase of broken furniture parts laying on, in the middle, near the roads as people move at the end of or the first of the month....... [​IMG]

14. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

on one of our road trips back from cali with my dad, i was ridding shotgun when a truck flew by us with a ladder hanging out the back,he said "look, that ladder is about ready to fly off" ,,,we got up the road about a mile and there was a ladder in the middle of the road and 2 cars in the median and one on the shoulder...however,the truck was nowhere to be found

15. james

james

Once in a while I help a freind install signs. Well, about a year ago he had a job on the other coast (of florida) and we loaded the signs in the trailer, loaded the ladders on top of his fiberglass shell, and took off. We worked straight through, installing 38 under canopy signs in 43 hours (stopping only to eat), then started heading back home. (3 hour drive). It was about 4 in the morning and we stopped to get gas, and half way through filling the tank he noticed that the entire shell (with ladders on top) was GONE. We hopped in the truck and started back tracking and found it about 5 miles back, smashed to hell with state troopers checking it out. Luckily it was a 2 lane state road and noone hit it, but somehow we were all too tired to hear a camper shell loaded on top with aluminum ladders blow off. And some how it must've blown straight up, because it completely missed the 14' long trailer we were hauling. All the c-clamps were still there on the bedlip, with little ripped peices of fiberglass under them. Wild night, and I'll never work 43 hours straight again!

16. Dirk

Dirk

Saw this Mexican once getting on the freeway with palets stacked God knows how high. As he was getting on, I saw him make the sign of the cross.

I got over fast.

17. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

I was with my buddy on a road trip from Connecticut to Florida. It was like 3 am, as dark as you can imagine and I'm the ONLY car on the highway. My buddy is fast asleep in the passenger seat. I've got the music on low, getting a bit tired from driving all evening, and I'm just watching the road and kind of daydreaming as I drive because there weren't any other cars on the road. No lights in front and none behind. Out of the corner of my right eye I see a shape next to the car, passing me very closely on the right. After a couple seconds I realized what it was.
    It was an 18-wheeler driving with his lights off at 3 am. He passed, and then another vehicle, a car this time, doing the same.
    All I could picture was that movie Duel.

18. I saw an old fart pull off the highway once with a BIG stack of gyprock plaster board panelling on the back of a Ford Ranger. He didn't have the boards tied up and they went flying into the ditch like they were pitched by a Vegas blackjack dealer. They make nice puffs of white dust when they hit...

19. Leon

Leon

[ QUOTE ]
    coming up the other side of the interstate was a LOCOMOTIVE

[/ QUOTE ]
    JT - does this look anything like what you saw? We got pictures of it on Power Tour 2001

Attached Files:

20. SKR8PN

SKR8PN

Leon......I saw that thing on the SAME Power Tour! Cool as hell. If I remember correctly the guy said it was built as a promo unit and he bought it when they were done with it??Based on a motor home chassis I think.

21. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

There was a guy here in San Diego that built a motor home alot like the Sante Fe train vehicle in that photo. This guy took and old DC-3 (?) airplane cockpit and fuselage for the body and then added wheels. Not something that you wanted to see in your rearview mirror when you're coming home after a night on the town... [​IMG]

22. 53Chebby

53Chebby

Actually Von Tingler it probably was an older one. There is a guy from Nebraska I think that built a locomotive engine on a Oldsmobile chassis I believe. He tours around the country with it now and has even built "cars" to pull behing it. I think I have a picture of it somewhere here.

23. manyolcars

manyolcars

For many years, there was a street locomotive here. Driven by the VFW

24. scooter

scooter
    from phx,az,USA

hahaaa raining money! the can and pop bottle story is great , love the wing and couch too .
    I will share one of mine , while working at the home depot .
    I worked in the garden dept and tis guy comes in and says he needs a whole pallet of red brick pavers , can he pay for them and go get his truck , i say sure but i sure hope its a big truck cuz thats a heavy load , he says nooooo problem and gets some mulch and a whole buch of sand ta go w/ his buy .About a 1/2 hour later he says he is ready ,i ask wheres your truck , right outside , ok i will get your stuff .He came in a 70 toyota truck !
    i tell this guy your truck will not haul all this he said sure it will , i say ok if you insist but you must sign this release and waiver he does so w/ a smile as to say i will so this guy .I get the fork lift and load it as far foreward as it will go poppin and creeking the whole time .Waving a thank you after the sand and mulch were added he leaves scraping the whole way and bottoming out on the speedbump as we are all gathered out front watching the show .I guess that 3rd speed bump did not like him either and leaving the parking lot he banged and scraped one more time loosing his bumper ! NO WORRIES FOR THIS GUY he just kept going and left it in the drive way .who knows if he ever made it all the way home .his tires looked like a 300lb lady sittin on an inner tube w/ 10 lbs in um .amazing what people think thier vehicles can handle.

25. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe the dude with the couch on the roof was really a gold-chainer going to a car show and didn't know about the cheap, Chinese fold-up pieces of crap chairs!!! [​IMG]

26. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

Charlie, I remember seeing that thing (airplane RV) on the 94 freeway one time when I was a kid from the back seat of my dad's 67 Camaro. I must habe been 9 or 10 and I started yelling "airplane on the road". My dad looked in the mirror and saw that thing and I swear that a little bit of pee came out of him. He almost drove us right off the road!

27. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

"Fuck your COUCH!!!" :D

28. COUCH? I'd call that a SLEEPER:D

29. 47 Ford Panel

47 Ford Panel

Last winter, a gentleman drove by my work everyday in a 1964 Chevelle 2 door with the trunk removed and a large wooden box strapped into the trunk. He hauled pallets and other stuff in the back of this nice driver. Someone must have releaved him of his driver because I haven't seen him this year.

30. Tdreamer

Tdreamer

i still like the staineless steel rocket car i see around here it is an old ride and the driver stands up front like a steam boat captain, gives rides to passangers, next year when i see it i'll take some picks it looks bad ass!