Register now to get rid of these ads!

You've got too much junk, don't you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Randy in Oklahoma

Randy in Oklahoma
    from Oklahoma

Since being diagnosed with Cancer several years ago (now in remission), I have steadily given away parts that other people could use and enjoy.

I personally dont want my family to go through the pains of an estate sale, and want most everything gone by the time I am six feet under!

2. pictures of the K car and contents of the trunk.:) OldWolf

Attached Files:

3. Deuces

Deuces

At least you kept all the good stuff!! :)

4. 32 hudson

32 hudson

I supose so at least that is what my wife thinks about it.

5. Weasel

Weasel

After reading through seven pages of guys fessing up,nobody has posted an answer as to why we do it. It's dead simple and one phrase sums up why we got this stuff in the first place:

"Seemed like a good idea at the time"

That having been said, I suffer from separation anxiety and a lot of this stuff is going to have to be surgically removed from me.

However it is 'stuff' until we no longer want it - and only then does it become 'junk'....

6. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

I so would've gotten those from you. Granted I have dreams of having a car museum one day haha. I do have enough cars, but it's just a matter of fixing them up and having a place to store them.

7. I recently liberated my 2.5 car garage of 2500lbs of scrap metal (engines, transmissions, etc). Most of it was FWD stuff from my VW days. I've had my Plymouth a couple of months and I'm already 'collecting' stuff for it. Rear ends, wheels, tires, engines, transmissions, carbs, etc. I actually have to turn stuff down now, because I'm scared of getting back into the same situation as before: not enough cars for all the stuff I have.

The bottom line for me is, if I can't use it, I give it to friends...or sell it to people I don't know. Some times I give stuff to strangers and end up with friends, lol. Good karma always pays out double in return, with peace of mind :D.

8. squirrel

squirrel

funny this thread should pop up right after I finished loading my trailer for a trip to the scrap yard....

9. 53 effie

53 effie

And all this time I thought I was the only one to be threatened with being on an episode of "Hoarders"!

I've been spending the past year and a half cutting down my collection of junk for a move. I took some of what I couldn't throw away back to my dad's this past weekend.

He's in his early 90s and commented that I come by my "problem of too much junk" honestly... He has the Model T truck that his dad bought new in 1922. And up until fairly recently still had every car he'd ever owned. I can only come up with maybe one or two that got away. One was a 46 Hudson and another was something in the 1990s. He bought back at least one, a 49 or 50 Hudson that was traded in on a 1959 Ford in the early 60s. At his age, he still has hopes of rebuilding a Model T that he drove to school in the late 30s and has the frame in a shed stripped down so he can paint it.

Yeah, I come by it honestly...

10. msalamanca

msalamanca

I feel the same way. Materiel items are replaceable. The memories my not, but when you have forgot what you have, is it really an important memory?
    If you dont use it and enjoy it, then why have it? "I have never seen a Hurst with a luggage rack" - Mike Ness

11. segajeep

segajeep

Years ago, my friend and I figured out a simple formula to determine the amount or number of something you need ( bikes, motor vehicles, seized engines, snowmobiles, R/C Monster Trucks, Hot Wheels, models)

R=(N+1)

Solve for R,which represents the Required amount you need, and N represents the amount you currently have.

12. You sir are a neat freak!!!!! :eek:

13. I think what it comes down to is, do you own it (your stuff/junk) or does it own you....when I need to thin out, I say this to myself and everything goes.....

14. Being nomadic (Uncle Sam moves us every 2-3 years) really helps cut down on the buildup... but it still gets harder every time. This last move (cross country) dang near killed me... and I went from a beautiful 2.5 car garage/ workshop to the dinkiest single (actually a converted carport) you've ever seen. My retirement home is going to have a palatial shop... and I don't think I'll get much fuss from Mrs. W-hound.

15. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I've started to thin down the loads of car parts and tools I've acquired over the past several years. It's hard to believe that in 2005 I was renting a bedroom in someone's house and had half of a 2 car garage for storage which was mostly consumed by my '54 Ford. I moved to a bigger house with more room and more garage space, which led to bringing home more stuff. Then to an even bigger house with even more room, and a 3000sqft shop which I shared with a couple of friends. For the past 3+ years I've been in my own 1200sqft shop and turned the office area into my apartment. Needless to say I've collected, dragged home, and piled up more crap than I need. Now I'm thinning it out, piece by piece. I don't look forward to that day that I have to move. It will take a pickup bed to move what's in my apartment, and a trip or two with a big U-Haul to move what's in the shop. I'd like to liquidate it down so that everything will fit in one U-Haul truck with one trip. It just hard when I bring home more stuff than I get rid of. I've thought about buying a cheap van or enclosed trailer to store all the misc stuff that I don't need, but is too good to let go to scrappers, then park it inside a $30/mo storage unit so I don't have to trip over it all.