Register now to get rid of these ads!

You're sick of these update, I know!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopolds, Mar 2, 2008.

1. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I promise, this is it til Detroit!
    We went up to Alan Johnson's shop to check progress on the Kart today. Absolutel fantastic. Alan is such a great artist, and a gentleman, to boot! He, his wife Judy, and helper/publicist/publisher Carol made us all welcome there.
    Also got to meet Mazdaslam, and his dad and bro, another good thing!
    Well, the scallops are outlined, and the copper leaf lettering is done. The leafing was done by Alan and Bill Riedel, who is 80 years old and still very active in the sign painting business, as well as being one of the best gilders around. We didn't get to meet him, as he did his work yesterday, but Carol did a lot of filming of the two greats doing their think. I think she is going to do a bunch of YouTube thingies with the film, as well as make us DVD's. Look for it on YouTube, on Kopper Kart Klone or somesuchthing.
    Here's an overhead shot of us, the build team. Me in front, then Daran , and Vic, and Ron to the right.
    Also, we built an award to give out to one of the cars downstairs, from all of us. We're going to pick our favorite car there, and give it a part of one of our parts cars, done up to match the actual dash in the Kart.
    See y'all in Detroit!
    PS, I don't know if all will agree, but we decided to leave off the mildly obscene cartoons on the back of the truck. It was decided that they were just a bit distasteful, and didn't add any value to the truck's asthetics. And to be perfectly honest, the truck in it's later paint job, did NOT have them on it, so it isn't as if the truck never looked like that.

Attached Files:

2. belair

belair

Nope, not sick yet!!!

3. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

I never get sick of the updates on your project...Absolutely awesome!!
    Good luck in Detroit, and try to do some well deserved relaxing. Yea, right!

4. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

good god, mark....its very surrealistic looking at this in a picture, i cant wait to see it in person....absolutely gorgeous....

5. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

It was GREAT meeting you guys today.The Kart looks AWESOME!!!Good luck in Detroit!!

6. Doug B

Doug B

Man,I am not much of a 'Kustom' guy,but the Kart is looking schweet! AJ by far does the best lettering I have ever seen. I've been to his shop,and the atmousphere in that old barn is thick. I'm hoping I can get him to put a flaming 8-ball on my coupe someday...

7. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

awesome!

i wasnt sure if you were putting the lettering on the rear from your last post,,looks beautiful!

...now many generations can experience seeing the Kopper Kart first hand just like back then.
    thanks!

8. not even close to sick ever! looks awsome..

9. Assman!

Assman!
    from no where

I met Alan Johnson for the first time on Saturday when we dropped the truck off, and right away I knew that he was a special person. His work on display in his shop is amazing. Today when we were at the shop I watched him put the lettering on the "Builder's Choice" trophy that we will award at the Autorama and I couldn't believe what I was seeing as he handpainted the letters flawlessly, perfectly straight, without hesitation, as if he had done it 1000 times before (and he probably has). He was finished in minutes and moved on to the next job, pinstriping the dash on the same trophy. He's like a machine. I can't wait to see the finished product on the truck this Tuesday when we pick it up for the trip to Detroit. And for anyone who hasn't met him, to top it all off he looks you in the eye when he shakes your hand. What a respectable artist, family, and group of friends.

Daran

10. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Lookin real good. Have a nice weekend off did ya?

11. Give your self a BIG pat on the back for an excellent job well done! Simply perfect. Good luck in Detroit.:cool:

12. You won't find two people more talented,
    or nicer,than Alan Johnson and Bill Ridell.

13. amazing, it lives again with all its splendor and more. thanks to the build team for saving this one. A big thanks to you for sharing the shots as they came.

14. studeboy

studeboy

Can't wait to see the Kart and Ice Truck and other HAMBERs cars. I am so excited about Detroit I DROVE to Cobo TODAY!!!! Much to my surprise when I paid my $12 to get in and walked in the door to see a DOG SHOW. I felt like an IDIOT when I called the wife to tell her how dumb I am. Now I really can't wait til next weekend.

See you guys next weekend

Eric

15. Diamond49

Diamond49

Nice. Never too many updates on projects. Keeps our interest up .

16. Assman!

Assman!
    from no where

Weekend off? Well, if you call a white knuckle ride towing about 8,000 pounds of trailer and truck through a snow storm into the mountains of northern Jersey "time off" then yeah. :cool: We all DID get to sleep in yesterday and today, even though I hear that Vic woke up at 8am on Saturday screaming that he slept in and was late for getting down to the shop to work on the truck, etc even though the truck is actually DONE. I guess old habits do die hard.

17. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Oh come on, you got 4 wheel drive in that puppy! I do that in dump trucks all the time! Vic is a tool, haha. He's gonna go insane now that its done.

18. Assman!

Assman!
    from no where

Naaah. Vic will start something new to stay occupied. Louise said that for the past few days she has heard him saying "Golden Sahara" in his sleep.

19. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

THANK YOU for the updates!!!

20. Assman!

Assman!
    from no where

Alan pinstriping the Builder's Choice trophy for the future lucky winner.

Attached Files:

21. bonesy

bonesy

Sick of updates... I've been holding my breath for them. It looks fantastic!

22. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Sick of updates on this truck, hell no. Love it!!!

23. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Will it be coming to the westcoast????.......Please.

24. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Sick of updates! are you kidding me,I've been following with great interest! Although I must say I'm a little disappointed you didn't do the characters on the back.It's one of the small details that I lack for my scale recreation of the Kopper Kart.

25. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Wow, hard to imagine the shop without some work going on with the Kart. What a team and what a finished product.

We'll see you guys out there.

26. Muttley

Muttley

When is the photo shoot for The Rodders Journal?

27. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

Here is a nice shot of it.
    [​IMG]

28. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

not sick at all, keep em coming :)

29. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Hell yeah - love it! Way to go, guys!