Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Your top twenty 1949, '50 & '51 Mercurys

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by straykatkustoms, Oct 31, 2016.

1. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This year at the Kustom Kemps of America's Lead Sled Spectacular we held our first unofficial "Kustom Konference" at the host hotel. It was an open conference to discuss what we thought would be the koolest Mercurys of all time. The kats that attended the conference was Dr. Dave, Sancho, Dave Wolk, Gary Glasgow, Jeff Myers and myself. We had others involved in the discussion but I forgot their names. Needless to say it was a lot of fun sitting around talking about kustoms.

I made the stupid comment that I could narrow it down to 20 Mercurys on my list. I started my list and yes I have changed it a lot. its not easy. If you get the time try to narrow the list to twenty...

This is my top 20 Mercurys......

q.jpg

p 1 .jpg

p .JPG

n  .jpg

o.jpg

m .JPG

l .jpg

k .jpg

j .jpg

i .jpg

h .jpg

g 3.jpg

g 2 .jpg

g 1.jpg

f .JPG

e .jpg

d .JPG

c.jpg

b.jpg

a.JPG

2. OG lil E was also in on the discussion, as was stanlow69. :) I'm impressed, you did it! Now, I must say, I'm seeing several here that were not mentioned the night of the discussion, so your list has changed up quite a bit as you got to narrowing, so I know lots of others got cut. ;) Great list....I like/love each and every one of them, and no way could I narrow down the list to 20...you are to be commended! :)

chryslerfan55, Sancho and OG lil E like this.
  3. Well you for sure have listed many over the top Merc's. I feel it's a wide open topic and very's widely from Coast to Coast. Having been a 50 Merc owner since 1965 (still have it) I would contest your #1 choice however you have what I might consider THE #1 Merc in the line up. My opinion changes from time to time but not very far. I did enjoy your list.
    The Wizzard

4. williebill

williebill

Hope this thread goes on forever.......

drdave, OG lil E and straykatkustoms like this.

5. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with your coast to coast suggestions.... My top three has changed around a lot and I had #5 on top of my list at one time. Lol, its a challenge to try to make the list.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

7. I like a lot of your choices but for me a "Top (insert any number here) Merc" list has to include the Bettancourt Merc. It tops the list for me.
    BettancourtAyala-vi.jpg

And I think I would have to include Jeff Neppls Merc as well.
    Kustomsshoot069-vi.jpg

8. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Can I vote for the '61 Monterey that I used to own?

PICT0001_11.JPG

***He changed the title to 1949-51 only after I posted this....*** :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  9. See, there's always One of those in a crowd isn't there?
    The Wizzard

chryslerfan55 and Lebowski like this.
  10. Great thread, Mick! Wow, trying to pick 20 favorites is really hard. That's like going to the Miss America pageant and having to pick out the twenty most beautiful gals at the contest. Tough to do!
    I'm only going to put down my favorite 10--and that was hard enough. I think everyone has their favorite "famous" Mercurys, and there are a few of these in my personal top 10. That being said, I've always admired the "little guys" building customs, and that swayed my choices some. A few of these guys I've met personally, and others I've "known" through magazines and videos over the years, so some not-so-famous Mercs made my list. A few of mine are repeats of Straykat's, but there are a few different ones as well.
    Here they are..........E

Ernie Roth Merc b  KLL.jpg

RalphSchindel1949Merc01-vi.jpg

IMG_0410.JPG

IMG_1916.JPG

g 1.jpg

Buddy-Alcorn-1950-Mercury-3.jpg

George Beluscsak 50 merc.jpg

e.jpg

green flame.jpg

Dick Crouthers 50 merc a PPoC.jpg

DAG74, 46fatford, 50 Merc Man and 7 others like this.
  11. Man, I've still been looking through all the Mercury pictures on my computer that I've saved over the years, and I've been second guessing some of my top 10. I guess that means I need to stop looking for a while as there are way too many awesome Mercs out there to narrow the list down to just a few favorites.
    That being said, I had to include one more of my favorite Mercs that I probably should have included in my top 10. Maybe I should have made it my favorite 11, huh?
    Anyway, I decided that I had to include Ed Lepold's beautiful '50 in my picks..........E

160431465_KhJGY9yp_CCR2015D7500753x33.jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  12. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Mandy-holder-1951-mercury.jpg Lordz Mercury.jpg
    May be a good idea to consider these two also. The Mandy Holden Merc and the Lordz of Kustomz Merc.

13. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

3 Window Blue 1949 Mercury 2014 (2).jpeg 3 WINDOW MERC PHOTOSHOP.jpg
    I am a little partial to "3 Window" Mercs!

14. 30TudorSedan

30TudorSedan

So many great custom mercs to choose from... The sam barris merc would have to be one of the top ones for me, but I'm also a little partial to my dad's below.

0807161348b.jpg

15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I`ll add one you guy`s forgot. John D`Agostino`s 51 Merc--- Midnight Sensation. Richard Zocchi`s --Cool 50 would also make my list for the time period when they were built and the impact they made in the hobby.

16. Squablow

Squablow

55chevtrim.jpg
    0274_LSN06.jpg anothermild.jpg
    barris.jpg
    black4door.jpg
    black4doorvegas.jpg
    buicklights.jpg
    CCC-Bill-Bush-Four-Door-04.jpg
    egelseer1.jpg
    flattopbob.JPG
    greaser sled.jpg
    lakepipedblack.jpg
    lightgreenie2.png
    Mercury 011.JPG
    moreflames.jpg
    mudcvr.jpg
    nochopswoop.jpg
    nospotsvalleycustom.jpg
    P6280148-vi.jpg
    winfield.jpg
    There's 20 I had saved. No particular order, although this version of the Winfield car above is perhaps my favorite and a big inspiration for my current '51 build. Hope it's cool that I made my own list.

17. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

[QUOTE="Squablow, post: 11758766, member: 5943
    ]Pictured above is the late Bob Johnson`s Merc called Rebelation from Council Bluffs Iowa before he sold it. It`s the second Merc that Squablow pictured with flames and hubcaps. He also had a chopped 50 Merc called So Fine that won the first Merc Duce Reunion King Of Mercs. It had scallopes and a 54 Pontiac grille. That would also make my top 20 list.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  18. 'Mo

'Mo

19. Stanlow was in that conversation? So I guess I did get to talk to him, just didn't know it! :oops:

[​IMG]

20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The bottom pic is photo shopped from car #16 in post number one by Straykat Kustoms. I believe Rickster did the work.

chryslerfan55 and drdave like this.
  21. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I was there for less then 5 minutes, then I had to go see the Hall of Famers talk and present there pic`s. That`s one part of the show I never miss.

22. Random in no particular order candidates:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Like Ed, I think the Crouthers Merc would be my top choice. Although Stuckey's King of Mercs car would rank right up there.

OG lil E likes this.
  24. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@OG lil E I thought that I was going to get blasted for having the Hirohata so far down on my list. Kool that you had it almost the same place.

To list your top twenty is not easy. When we were having our conference, we were throwing out Mercs left and right. All that we had named were deserving but again to narrow it down to twenty is tough. I worked on my list for a while. I started researching pictures and saving them to a file so I could place them in order. Needless to say I deleted a lot of kool Mercs.

Historical Mercs are important to our hobby but I didn't list them just because what they were. Although my bottom two picks were important to getting me started. My number 20 Mercury (the Green Flame) was the first Mercury that I saw at the Starbird show. The guys that I was with hated it but I thought it was just too kool. They could not get me away from it. So when you are making your list its hard not to pick the Mercurys that got you started. Number 19 was a Mercury that just blew my mind at the first KKOA Spectacular. watching it cruise the streets of Wichita was too kool. I'm not a yellow fan but I always thought that this Merc was one of the koolest. I wouldn't mind driving it...

Thanks for all of the input, going to be kool to see what other guys have on their list.

25. Mickey, you know I have one more....
    I don't think I will post it.

26. I thought so, but maybe not. I'm old and don't remember what I had for supper last night. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, OG lil E and Sancho like this.
  27. I can take it.

Here is one that would be on my list, I know I am not the only one (although there are probably only two of us).
    I think it has a lot to do with what you saw when you first got into customs like Mickey talked about. This car is a definite "Wichita" car, big rake, scavenger pipes, wires, flared wheelwells, etc. I know most people cringe when it's even mentioned, but I think it coincides with the "resurgence" within the custom movement and the KKOA. It's one that helped set the scene in the Wichita area. Would I drive this now? Damn right!
    [​IMG]

Okay, let me have it!

28. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

sorry but I disagree on this one. Mercs never looked right to me on a rake and they should not be built as a "street rod" but that is just my crappy opinion that doesn't mean shit....

29. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Besides. Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.

wicarnut likes this.