Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Yep, one more 29 Model A coupe build starts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gnichols, Sep 4, 2012.

1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Gang,

I'm SO happy to report that I sealed the deal today on a 29 Model A coupe. While I really wanted a sport coupe, this one will end up with just about all the same mods. The body has a few rough spots and the fenders and aprons are glass, so I got to talk down the price a little for all that. Clear title and it runs. It has all the OEM stuff inside, driver's window cracked. I only have one photo now, sorry.

The car is going into storage for some time, so I thought I'd solicit some inputs. What I've been planning is post WWII for the most part, with touches of sports rod (road racing) and oval track cars. Probably no fenders, but who knows. Think of something like what a not so low to the ground, Khougaz-ish sports coupe might look like. One other over riding idea is kinda LSR-ish, nothing but the absolute minimum of parts in the wind. So, I'll shoot for inboard coilovers or torsion bars and as much of the bones / trailing arms as possible will be inboard of the frame.

The plan is to give the front of the body a "high cowl" treatment, by raising the bottom of the windshield 2-4"? (instead of chopping the top) and using a taller, modified 30/31 style grille shell and hood / cowl bits while retaining that sword shapped, raised design panel in front of the door jamb. I'd also like to lay the windshield back a little, so the top of the doors would be modified to match and the upper rear of the door frame rounded. The roof would be a removable deal based on the 5W shape (or perhaps more of a rag top style in aluminum?).

Whether I use A or 32 rails, more than likely the body will be mounted on top of the frame, vintage race car style with a foot well / rolled pan or aprons under the frame.

The front suspension will probably be a dropped tube with inboard coilovers or torsion bars, panard bar, split bones or hairpins and a small rack mounted on the axle. Some sort of hidden, electric power steering unit behind the dash, too. Recent elbow surgery has me leaning more and more towards "assisted" functions here and there, just in case. Hidden disc brakes.

I'd like to try an Alfa DeDion transaxle (has inboard disc brakes and also gives you no bell housing or tranny hump in the front floor) but I don't know if it will fit. If not, I'll go with a light weight straight diff, discs, SOCAL style trailing arms and coilovers. Fuel cell low in the frame behind the diff, Pinto style, but suitably caged.

Tall and skinny wheels and tires, most likely all the same size. Removable tire rack / luggage rack on the back, for longer trips.

I-4 engine, Alfa, Ford or Chevy TBD.

Any and all comments / inputs / discussion appreciated. It looks like a long winter so fire-proof long johns are at the ready. Gary

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  2. redzula

redzula

Wow glass fenders or not that thing looks pretty clean. A lot better start than some I've seen on here. Don't let that spoil you though, it better be equally as badass.

Stogy likes this.
  3. jermaero

jermaero
    from Florida

Congrats on getting the 29 it's sure a sweet starting point!

Stogy likes this.
  4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx, guys, but it really is rougher looking in person. See what a shiny paint job does for ya! Gary

Stogy and dana barlow like this.

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Dateline Friday PM: Finally took delivery of the coupe today. Plenty of potential, eh? It's been dubed the "Alfa" rod for some time, mostly because it might have some Alfa Romeo parts here and there, but also because it's my only - and probably last - hot rod project on the boards, project A. Gary

Attached Files:

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

A few more pix... it's amazing what was done to the car to sell it - to put it politely. The rear bumperettes are covered in thin AC / heat duct tape! The front of the roof that was open (and covering the bad wood above the windshield) was taped down with some sort of duct / book binder's tape over tacks. It all blew up when the car was trailered at highway speeds when delivered. There are short strips of electrical tape over some rust spots, as if no one would notice, etc. etc.. But as rough as it seems, nothing too major has been revealed. Being a short guy, 5'-8" - I sink way down in the too soft / useless seat foam, too, not the best position for good control of things. The motor runs fine, starts quickly but there is a little bailing wire / creative engineering here and there to seal leaks in the exhaust, etc.. Much of the ignition system is new, so it should stay in tune for a good while. The tires seem good enough, 6.00x16 "Commander" who ever makes them. I haven't checked the mfg date for age yet.

A little help, please? I've only got one key, and MACS wants FIFTEEN EFN bucks for a key blank! Any suggestions? Will any old Briggs N Stratton lawn mower keys work? Cheaper sources? Seems the best solution would be just to install a new switch, eh?

Gary

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
    oliver westlund and dana barlow like this.
  7. cayager

cayager

interested in selling any original stuff off it? i could use the headlights and grill shell. maybe original drive train?

8. draider

draider
    from Texas

Looks like a solid start. I'm interested to see how your vision comes to life.

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Nice coupe to start with...

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx guys... it will be some time before I can really get started, let alone decide what may eventually be for sale, so any old crows hanging out on the telephone wires will have to wait awhile! Stay tuned. Gary

11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

It doesn't look like you have a stock "popout" ignition switch so a key shouldn't be too hard to find. try a local locksmith shop. You should have a locking deck lid handle and a locking RH door handle which require keys too. If repops they'll use a standard B&S key most likely.

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

The switch is probably a repop type you mentioned. The B&S key I have is actually a nice looking key with logo, etc. and does have a number on it which I hope will help the search. I've tried HD / Lowes with no luck, so next I'm going to the mom n pop, Ace / True-value stores and lock smiths. I don't recall a key slot on the trunk lid and haven't really paid any attention to the door handles to say for sure. Thanx, Gary

13. classic gary

classic gary

Wow, and I really wanted a coupe, but found a sport coupe. Drove mine home, "number matching", chassis and engine. Gonna hotrod the hell out of it !!!
    Keep us posted as to progress !!:D

Attached Files:

• My A.jpg
      My A.jpg
      File size:
      307.8 KB
      Views:
  14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Lucky Dog! Wanna trade? LOL. Gary

15. classic gary

classic gary

Would be nice, but, the logistics would be a nightmare!!!:eek:

Gary

16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I took a drive up to see Nellie Bell today in the 27, so I could do some before n after type pix (I always forget them) and update some paperwork. But in this case it's more like last n next photos. I deflated the bags in the 27 just to increase the drama a little between the cars. For the record then... Gary

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Well kids,
    I hope to start work on my chassis early this fall, so I've been trying to focus more on exactly what I really want / can afford.

The overall build is still pretty much 50's hot rod / sports rod / special but I've shifted the build era from early to late 50's, early-60s. While heavily influenced by period hot rods and race cars of many types, my A may end up looking very early 50's East Coast in many regards - low, channeled, mild or no chop. Removable cycle fenders in the front, removable but body mounted fenders in the rear. Tubular bumpers.

I still like the idea of a raised, "high cowl" treatment but until things can get mocked-up... who knows. Basically, I'll try to raise the grille, hood / sides and tank top 3" or so ICW the raised front rails and setting back the firewall. If it works, great, if not, no biggie. I'm still sketching out various roof ideas - just a fixed / filled stock lid (or with canvas slider), or a faux-rag top that also lifts off and be swapped out with a similarly removable hard top. One new idea - used only when topless - is to make the windshield frame tip back and inward at the top (simply reversing the stock design that tilts it out at the bottom?) to aid aero when the car is topless on the interstate. Crazy? With the tops of the door frames still in place (sports coupe-ish) it would be hardly noticeable, but might greatly reduce turbulence / buffeting. I also plan a roll cage of some kind, so the top of the windshield would rest on and be supported by the front cross tube of the cage.

Body on tube frame, but with the front 49" of Deuce rails (just in from ASC) incorporated in such a way that the car would look very traditional with the front rails exposed like those on a channeled or Zd frame hot rod. The rest of the frame would be a birdcage of round tube with some flat stuff here and there. The main frame rails would be two tubes about 24" apart running down and back from the front horns to the Jag style IRS cradle under the car, and then continue to the rear and up to the back of the body. The front and rear bends of these tubes would be curved / shaped like a sprint car or Indy roadster chassis. Inside these tubes, a rectangular truss / driveshaft tunnel about 12" high and 7" wide would run thru the center of the car. Since the driveshaft would be fixed to the frame, I hope to make this part of the frame as narrow as possible. The body and seats would be mounted on tubes designed to mirror the various channels / OEM body mounting locations in the model A subframe and be about 8" above the lower frame tubes. Exhaust under the body thru the frame rails. A rolled pan is a real good possibility, too. The cage would be braced with down tubes front and rear to stiffen the whole deal. I've also been thinking of widening the track (hub face to hub face) to 60" front and rear.

The rest of the frame will be a mix of 50's Indy roadster ideas, sports rods and one of my new favorite builds, the Bud Kennedy drag / show rod (Nov 62 Hot Rod). Coil overs out back, perhaps torsion bars in the front. I've got a line on some cool, cast aluminum Jag wheels similar to those run on their LeMans race cars from that era (they will look like steelies, but be are very light!). About 30 x 16 Excelsiors all around should give me 8" of ground clearance. Switching to 24-26" wheels and tires should get it hunkered down for track work. Some sort of hidden, electric power steering unit behind the dash is still ideal for me and ICW the rack should be great.

A blown or turbo'd GM Ecotec I-4 / 5 spd is still the motivation of choice, so I'll concentrate my research on that for now. LOVE Beef Stew's 32 sedan build! SBC is the fall-back, naturally, but if I go that route I want to use a newer aluminum block motor and disguise it in a cloak of period appearing induction / accessory drives.

That's about as far as I need to focus now (or not?). Next up, to sketch up a frame and build a model of it, too! Later, Gary

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  18. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That baby would look sooo good just lowered all around plus a rubber rake, then drive it like you stole it. Nice catch.

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

^ If my "plan" works out, it will look just that way and from 10ft you won't be able to tell anything racy is going on with the frame. Film at eleven. Gary

-Brent- likes this.
  20. 60 Belair

60 Belair

Sounds like you have a cool plan!
    Andy

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Well... I went and did it - the engine in the 29 will be an Ecotec I-4 with turbo from a Pontiac Solstice. I got all committed to the idea and will pick up a used 2008 GXP on Monday. Right now, I plan on harvesting the engine, trans (5spd) and appropriate ECU / wiring and selling the roller for some other crazy guy to put a LS into it. Or... I might change my mind again and snarf up the IRS, seats, dash, instrumentation, fuel system components, etc. and part out the rest. Regardless, at least I can narrow down some of the chassis stuff - single pipe exhaust system, battery locations, fuel fillers, etc.

This and will be my 2nd rod with a (pseudo) Poncho engine - and the 2.0T only weighs 300lbs! Film at eleven, Gary

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Narrowing in on the plan with an I-4, but it's still as a late 50's hot rod / sports rod / special build. As low as practical yet comfortable on rural roads (think of a Carrera Pan America / rally car-ish). 1800 lbs? We shall see. Hopefully, two removable roofs, the 5W with canvas slider for the long, foul WX trips, and a canvas sports coupe style top (non-folding). Both tops use common mounting hardware / gizmos.

Possible forward tilting grille shell / hood, with fixed hood sides. Possibly convert doors to cabriolet / hardtop configuration using 55-56 Chevy hardtop parts, including the vent window if there is no chop. Body on frame with SS nerfs and bumpers, removable spare tire carrier at the back. Lexan side and back glazing. "Motorcycle" or "boat" spec interior - ie waterproof, lots of drain holes, all wiring as high as possible. Might even get Mike Corbin seat covers! Basically, drip dry if caught in the rain without a top.

Front and rear fenders of some sort, and removable. A raised, "high cowl" treatment (about 3") with the top of the tank / end of the hood flared up like a vintage sprint car. Wipers mounted on the tank top so the header can be cut-down a little (ICW a chop?).

Tubular frame with partial cage. Z-d at both ends with partial 32 front rails grafted in for looks. As few tubes as possible, don't want a birdcage frame. Wider track than stock, 60"? Strong oval track / sports rod influences. Dropped tube front axle, coil-overs, disc brakes, axle mounted rack. To a great extent use the engine / trans as stressed members and if possible co-locate suspension stuff at / near motor / trans mounts. Make stuff easily removable. Muffler under pax seat / right edge of body. All the hot pipes under the right side of chassis. No burnt calves on my friends.

And so on, and so forth. Gary

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  23. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

What a cream puff, this yellow GXP is. It's a very strong runner and I can't wait to feel what that little motor does in a car 1/2 ton lighter! Gary

Attached Files:

24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Some Ecotec pix from BEEFSTEW, my HAMB Ecotec hero, so to speak. I don't have a lot of other images to share, but if you search the web for Ecotec 2.0 turbo or LNF you can see all the applications / potential donors / tuners / parts, etc.. Also, one recent NSRA give away car was Ecotec powered, along with several SOCAL builds for GM, just to mention a few cars you may have seen in the popular press. Gary

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=668480

Attached Files:

25. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Teaser report... I sold the little Poncho GXP, soon to be less 2.0L turbo / trans / looms, etc. to a car club buddy who is going to put a LS3 in it and run some canyon roads. We haven't sorted the details yet, but within the next month or so I should have what I need to start designing the frame for my Model A. If I keep the CAT, it will be like having a Mini-E-Rod motor! Ha.

And... drum role please... this should be my 7000th post. Good Gawd. Gary

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  26. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

That will be sweet. I can't bear to rod my sedan so I got a coupe body that needed lots of love to hot rod. My sedan would be easier but the coupe would be cooler.

27. Coupe28

Coupe28

I'll be watching this one Gary

28. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I'm happy to say that my coupe has been moved south to a storage space only 3 miles from home... so much better in many ways. Surgery on the GXP to remove it's Ecotec heartbeat and supporting sub systems will probably start at the end of May. I sure hope the Mickey D fender bender we drove by yesterday morning isn't a bad omen! Gary

Attached Files:

29. redzula

redzula

Congrats on the move... dumb question what's up with the bumper being so crooked is it just an illusion or something?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

^Thanx, but who knows about the front end twist, perhaps a couple of extra tight tie-downs? One of my diet-impaired buds on a smoke break when I wasn't watching? No worries, me thinks. Gary