Register now to get rid of these ads!

Yeakel Bros?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fenderless, Jan 31, 2007.

1. brainfrz

brainfrz

Welcome. Great first post! All from a license plate frame. I'm with Evel, ANY pics to share!

Jon

2. And the world just got a little smaller.
    Totally cool.
    Welcome to the board Fred.

3. TheHviz

TheHviz

Those cheatahs looks familiar, my dad has a slot car (1/24th?) of one from when he was a kid.

4. there is a guy in mesa or scottsdale AZ who is repoping cheetah's from just body's to rolling cars. I will look to see if I can find the link.

5. Wow, Great post and welcome to you Fred.

Do you race at other historics? I think I saw you at Elkhart Lake about 2 years ago (the year they had the pile up in turn one, 2005 I think).

6. Himee

Himee
    from Wisconsin

Now this is the continuation Cheetah thats been running around Elkhart Lake during the Brian Redman races.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. LiL' NiCk

LiL' NiCk

WOW! NEAT-O! Also this pic was taken in my home state,,,,WIsconsin...@ Road American as a relevant side note: i believe the vintage races are next weekend at Road American in WI. Thanx for info!!!

8. Wow. Small world.

9. GaryC.

GaryC.

Cool thread! Here's my two cents worth.
    I did this scratchboard drawing around 1968-1970.
    It's Tom "Mongoose" McEwen smoken 'em!
    This was such a cool era in drag racing.

Attached Files:

10. sean72

sean72

Cool thread and nice Cheetah. Here is the Yeakel t-shirt I did for Vintage Drag Club.

Sean

Attached Files:

11. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Now thats an intro! Welcome Fred! I for one am looking forward to any of your knowledge, wisdom and past experiences you can share with us. We dont charge :D

12. Himee

Himee
    from Wisconsin

That Bill Thomas Cheetah is one of the coolest car's around and next week I'am going to see some at Road America where their normally two of them racing around.

13. very cool drawing, those were the days indeed:D

14. allycat

allycat

Hi
    This is my first message on the board. Three years ago I bought a Cheetah body, screens, dash, trans tunnel and other bits off Bob Auxier in Scotsdale Arizona. I do have his address and phone number if anyone wants to build a replica Cheetah, his ebay name is speed10. I am trying to build an exact replica using Fred Yeakel's car as the master. Thank you Mr. Yeakel for being so prolific with your car. The intention when mine is finished is to build 2 or 3 aluminum Cheetahs. Bob Auxier's Cheetah bodies appear to be a perfect copy of the original. I will keep you all posted as to the build.
    Allycat in the UK

15. will630

will630

16. tubbytwo

tubbytwo

Does anyone remember Yeakel Bros "Rocket to Stardom" on TV Saturday morning? A talent type show and hosted by a lady on ch 5 I believe. Seems like mid `50s.
    edit: "And the best of all was a cheesy, locally produced "talent show" that was on the air on saturday mornings. It was called "Rocket To Stardom" and it originated from the Oldsmobile dealership in Long Beach that was owned by Bud & Betty Yeakel. The whole thing was a scam to get parents to come there, with the hopes that they would buy a car while they were waiting for little Suzy or Billy to go on the air. Of course, no kid was ever turned away (you wouldn't want to lose a car sale!!), no matter how bad they were. It was great"

http://www.haineshisway.com/archives/00000656.html

17. Trabuco Fred

Trabuco Fred

The Lady who hosted the show was may Aunt Betty Yeakel. The most famous tallent to be discovered on the show was "the Smothers Brothers"
    Fred Yeakel:)

SS327 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. Interesting thread.A couple of weeks ago I was at the home of my wife's ex-husband and he was showing me some stuff he was doing about his dad(Fran Hernandez).He has compiled a series of photographs on a CD(I have a copy)show his dad's career from the early days at Russetta to the La Carrera Panamerica to working for Lincoln Mercury in their performance programs to managing KarKraft(Boss Mustangs/GT-40's).
    Anyway in his garage he has several old toolboxes and some old car parts including an Autolite in line 4 barrel and an old 4 carb manifold for a Caddy that has handmade fuel injection made from the bases of Stromberg carburetors.The setup is complete.He then showed me a picture of the car it was on;a light blue 29 Model A roadster that has scrawled along the frame rails,"Hydro by Fran".
    No it is NOT for sale.I'll try and get some pictures of the setup.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Thanks all of your replies!:)

Fred: Im sorry, i dont think the frame is for sale, but you never know:)!? Nice to have you here, please post pictures.

Safariknut: Are you from Norway? Safari? Knut?:)

Br
    Kjell

Taildragger&fenderless

20. The Yeakel brothers ran a cadillac fuel dragster back in the 50's and it was extremely fast. They then switched to the hemi and ran with the best. However, I think they quit in the late 60's.

21. justacarguy

justacarguy

Give me a minute, I'm posting from the 1956 Hot Rod coverage of the Von Dutch artwork on the Yeakel roadster. Check on my blog http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/ for the post.

22. olfogey54

olfogey54

Ahhhh, yes the Yeakel brothers I remember the dealership well. I bought a new 1970-Plymouth Duster from them. They were located on Lakewood Blvd. I'm not sure if it was Downey or Long Beach. Their dealership was awesome. I bought the Duster for less than you could buy a VW-Bug. True it was a slant-6 but the car only cost $2,220.50 tax license everything.

They had all kinds of Superbirds yellow ones, orange ones hell, every color they made. Duster 340's were around $3400. :eek:man those were the days.

23. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

24. jfrolka

jfrolka

he posted that 3 years ago... and it came out bad ass, lotta funny storys from those guys too

25. olfogey54

olfogey54

Does anybody remember Yeakel Olds selling a car called the GO-GO mobile imported from Germany.

26. LA Kid

LA Kid
    from Florida

I not only remember Rocket To Stardome, but loved it and spent many Midnight to 6 AM's there, stories to tell. Loved Bob Yeakel. I was 13 in 1956, Yep a young kid staying out all night.

27. LA Kid

LA Kid
    from Florida

Anyone remember Irwindale drag strip in the late 50's early 60's Don Prudhomme, Tommy Ivo, Don Garlits? watched them race there trying to break the 200 mph in the quarter, and get 7 seconds. Great early days in the sport.

28. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes they were also an OLDS dealer,---Sponsored the above Roadster back then.

29. LA Kid

LA Kid
    from Florida

No, but I remember them selling the Isetta 300, the 2 passenger car you entered by opening the front end and had 2 big wheels in the front and a double set of small tires in the rear that steered the car from the rear.

30. LA Kid

LA Kid
    from Florida

Yep, it was Bob Yeakel Olds behind the Wiltern Theater on Western avenue and at Wilshire Blvd