Register now to get rid of these ads!

YAY-HOO CUP 2014 - The Official Post!

Discussion in 'H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals' started by BLAKE, Aug 8, 2014.

1. BLAKE

BLAKE

Yep, it's still on! This will be year number six that we're offering up The Yay-Hoo Cup™ at the HAMB Drag Nationals… and anything could happen. For those that don't know, the Yay-Hoos outta Austin, Texas, have awarded The Yay-Hoo Cup™ to the quickest car driven to the HAMB Drags for the past 5 years. All you gotta do is:

- Drive your car to the event (at least 150 miles)
    - Find the Yay-Hoos and sign up to be considered a Cup Contender™... we usually make camp right next to the old tower, unless some jagoff beats us to that spot this year
    - Haul ass
    - Show us your quickest slip

The Cup Contender™ with the quickest pass will win The Cup™ for 2014. This means their name will be affixed to The Cup™ for all posterity, AND they get a cool hand-crafted, personalized dash plaque to back up the bragging rights. They are also handed one ice-cold Shiner Bock beer... because they earned it.

That's basically it - sign up and give it a shot! We do this for funsies, so there's no lengthy list of rules and restrictions to determine who wins if things get complicated. As such, we reserve some rights to make up rules if/when they need to be clarified, and we own the final decision on who won or not. Our goal is to keep this simple and fun… like it should be.

Here are the previous Yay-Hoo Cup Champs™ and their ETs:
    - Jeff Yocum - 11.31… and drove like 2000 miles!
    - Jeff Yocum - 10.98… another 2000-mile round trip!
    - Jason Schaefer - 10.61… and blew it up!
    - Jason Schaefer - 10.62 (I think?)… and blew it up again!
    - Mike Cox - 10.95… on a single 4-bbl with secondaries which would not open!

So... who's up for it…?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RoadFarmer and Malcolm like this.
  2. jho

jho
    from Omaha

IMG_20140518_164142.jpg Shits about to get real in joplin this year... just put my name on the cup now

RoadFarmer, BHoover and inkstain27 like this.
  3. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

That's Awesome Jason

4. ryno

ryno

Make sure to use grade 8 1/4" bolts jho
    Your spot will be as always Blake,I'll set it up thrusday.

Malcolm likes this.

5. BLAKE

BLAKE

You're awesome, Ryno - thanks. Need anything from Austin?

6. raven

raven

I'll be there.
    r

7. BLAKE

BLAKE

Sure thing… and we'll give you the dash plaque on your return orbit in 7 years.

8. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Where did you get that thing, Wile E. Coyote Speed and Equipment?

9. ryno

ryno

no sir, just you fine folks.

zman likes this.
  10. daschaefer

daschaefer

Well it hurts to write this ...... sniff,,,,,,,,tear,,,,,,,, grunt,,,,,,manly sniff,,,,,,,,,wiping snot on sleeve,,,,,, ok, here goes:

I'm writing from a shipping container on the other side of the world,,,, And this will be my second year in a row missing an opportunity to get my name back on that Sexy Cup,,,,

Last year really sucked because what I thought was a failed break-in was actually just faulty indication,,, but after another oil change and a new gauge that thing is still serving me well.... To include a 450 mile trip to "cruising the coast" where it made a snob cry when I smoked his new Ferrari and even beat a 900 crotch rocket from 60 to 140..

Now this year,,,,,, it don't suck as much,,,,, I took a job in Afghanistan working on a different kind of hotrod,,, she's a little grey jet that cruises the top brass around. Over here I don't get to blow up motors but that's ok because I'm working around some really cool Dudes that do a much better job Blowing Stuff Up! It's an honor to be working with the Hero's that are keeping our country safe so you and I can build big mills, waste lots of gas and enjoy the HAMB Drags!

Sure wish I could be there,,,but in closing here are three things for everyone that will be competing for that Yay-Hoo Cup,,,,,
    1. Have Fun!
    2. Good Luck!
    3. Enjoy your freebie while you can, because I'm coming back in a year or two with a Fat Paycheck and a Bad Attitude!!!!!!

GO MAN GO!!!!!!!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

RoadFarmer and gonmad like this.
  11. BLAKE

BLAKE

Thanks, Jason!! Just won't be the same without you here... but you got more important stuff to do over there. We'll do it right for ya... and I know we still owe you a dash plaque!!! :D

12. BLAKE

BLAKE

FYI, one side of The Cup™ is officially full... so this year's champ will find their name at the top of the list on the other side... as the saga continues...

[​IMG]

Malcolm likes this.
  13. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I giggle my goofy ass off whenever I see a pic of that cup...

So who is gonna win it??? I have a pretty good guess, but there is one wildcard that will remain unnamed at this time that might just put a whuppin on everybody........

Hmmm...who could it be????? Ain't gonna be me. I'll be there, but the Model A has to stay in S Carolina.

Tune in Saturday night to find out....

See ya, -Abone.

oldsman71 likes this.
  14. ryno

ryno

I bet it's a new name.

15. Man Jason, made me choke up a little. Sure gonna miss you this year. Why don't you find a JATO for me and overnite it to the Residence Inn and then I'll enter the cup.

16. daschaefer

daschaefer

To FlamedABone,
    Now I'm excited, I will be calling a few of you guys on Race Day so I can get the play-by-play, so if any of you see Afghan on your caller ID, it's not the Talliban,,,, it just me.
    I know what that Cup stands for, and I hope that it gets handed to a Real Hot Rod and not an old car with a modern race engine. I understand the legacy of racing involves improving technology so Its hard to draw the line,,,( makes me wanna throw away my 1986 MSD box),,,,, Just know that I will returning with a bunch of old crap bolted to something light and I will sling rods at anybody that gets between me and that trophy...hahahahaha

To Kenny,
    I couldn't locate a jato,,,, but I did find an on Allison tank engine,,,, I just sent it priority US Mail,,, hope you can reimburse me on the overweight shipping charge.

Talk to you on RaceDay!

17. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I always sign up for the Yay-Hoo Cup just for the heck of it, knowing damn well I don't have a chance.... :)

Hoping to run just a little better than last year -- low 12's, around 113 mph.

Looking forward to Saturday -- see some of you there!

(still need to bolt in the roll bar tonight)

IMG_20140805_172137_325.jpg

Malcolm

18. BLAKE

BLAKE

I can honestly say that nothing would make me happier than putting your name on this thing!

sko_ford likes this.
  19. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i wont be going this year, i have to much going on right now and my hearts just not in it...i was really looking forward to putting the first 9 second time on the trophy .. maybe next year.

oldsman71 likes this.
  20. So.... Do we have a winner???

21. ryno

ryno

jho in the a hole fe powered coupe.
    congrats buddy!

22. ryno

ryno

wiener wiener wiener

23. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. daschaefer

daschaefer

CONGRADS JHO!!!!!!!

Very glad to see that giant rocket worked out so well!!! Great looking machine! Give us some details about the drive to and from Joplin, the best part of that trophy is earned out on the highway.

25. raven

raven

Congrats to the winner. Too bad I got kicked out due to a 'clerical' error since I apparently forgot to write the '0' after the 25 for miles driven to the track. I ran a 12.11 @ 110mph. It's my own damn fault for not understanding the procedure...
    r

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  26. BLAKE

BLAKE

RAVEN - sent you a PM.

27. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Raven. I wondered if that was you, but I knew you drove more than 25 miles....

Your car was reeealy fast.

-Abone.

28. I know that the Raven is disappointed, but end of the day we still beat any time we ever ran in that little roadster with the throw together engine. Hell max beat any time the little car had ever gone out of the gate and he's a novice driver.

We still need to offer props to jho, well built coupe and clicked off a good pass or two.

29. BLAKE

BLAKE

I'm bummed about the 'technicality' situation here, but at the very least it sounds like we could have a really great match-up for next year's Cup.

30. Rusty

Rusty

So did Raven win? Or did the Model a Coupe?