Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y block motor mounts in 1956 ford fairlane

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 ford custom, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Well this might be a dumb question but i need to get this car going and i cant remember how the motor mounts went. Its been years since i touched the car and i finally got a good motor for it. Here are the pics.

Are they facing the right way? Or do i need to turn them around?
    [​IMG]
    Also these plates, they go between the motor mounts and the frame mount? Or in back of the frame mount?
    [​IMG]
    For the trans im running either a ford o matic or cruis o matic can i still use the stock mount? Which way does it go? Also where do i get the rubber mount for it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  2. Also, does anyone know where i can get all ne mounts? Rubber mount for the font cradle, side motor mounts in the pic,rubber for the trans mount. I think thats it?
  3. raceron1120

raceron1120
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club
    2. 1952-59 Ford Social Group
    3. GMB

Got mine at Mac's, but there's probably other places that have 'em. Pic's a little fuzzy but here's how they go:

[​IMG]
  4. Thanks raceron
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. RAY With

RAY With Member

The original mounts in the car were attached to the pipe that runs from side to side. The studs on the rubber mounts as shown simply bolt to the fixed plates on the chassis. I never used the front mount behind the harmonic balancer as it's not necessary. Any generic trans mount will work that has the bolt spread on the transmission tail shaft and alterning the cross member is no problem to make it work. In 58 they installed the FE motors in some and Y blocks in others and those mounts will work also.You wont have any problems finding mounts and may have to go another rout on the transmission-I was thinking standard and just saw your pieces for automatic.
  6. Well I have a ford o matic and a cruis o matic sitting in front of me and i really dont want to spend the money nor the time researching and buying if i can use what i have. The ford o matic is a good trans.