Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Y-Block guys! What's with this 4-Barrel intake?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by JohnnyGretsch, Dec 19, 2014.

1. JohnnyGretsch

JohnnyGretsch

I was scrounging around under the the house looking for a decent intake manifold for the ute when I came across this sitting under a stack of 2-barrels. I initially thought it was one of those hot high-performance '57 intakes, but I asked my old man and it came off an original 1956 F-100. It has an ECZ code on it, and a funny looking "F over C" logo on it. I'm assuming it's some bizzaro Canadian thing, but I have no idea.

Attached Files:

2. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking at the carb base and your ECZ description it looks/sounds like a 57 Ford/Thunderbird or 57-59 Mercury manifold. Take some shots where the logo can be seen, can not tell anything besides the carb base from your photo.

Unibodyguy likes this.
  3. The mounting pad is for the 57 style Holley 4150 series carb. Need some additional pics for better I.D.
    Is it Al or cast?
    Oldmics

4. JohnnyGretsch

JohnnyGretsch

Not home at the moment, so I'll take some more photos when I get back. The intake is cast-iron.

5. 55Brodie

55Brodie

ECZ9425B Cleveland Foundry.
    It's the one you want unless you go aftermarket.

6. JohnnyGretsch

JohnnyGretsch

Did a quick Google on the part number, and it looks spot on for a 9425B. It's just odd for this manifold to turn up in Oz, but it was out of a tru k.

7. yep....got mine off a Ford Bus.....for the bigger Holley carb....

8. JohnnyGretsch

JohnnyGretsch

Yep, it's a ECZ-9425-B.

Attached Files:

Unibodyguy likes this.
  9. Came on some Ford Trucks in Australia, we have had more than 30 over the years.

10. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting. Not sure what the difference is but I thought the 57-63 4bbl trucks came with a ECR-9425-E manifold. At least in North America anyway. Maybe Australian trucks used the car manifold?
    56 manifolds still used the small "Teapot" base with 57 the first year for the larger "Holley" type base. Again, at least here in North America.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  11. JohnnyGretsch

JohnnyGretsch

Australians generally got leftovers from FoMoCo Canada, so I'm sure there just happened to be a bunch of car manifolds laying around when they were assembling export trucks.
    We have an ECZ-9425-A manifold floating around somewhere as well.

12. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pictures of the 56 "Teapot" base ECZ-9425-A intake compared to the 57 and up ECZ-9425-B "Holley" type intake. Kind of makes it obvious why the -B manifold is more desirable . . .
    ECZ-9425-A.jpg ECZ-9425-B.jpg

13. JohnnyGretsch

JohnnyGretsch

I'll be running the earlier Holley intake, just because it's a complete carb (probably needs a rebuild but that's no problem) and I don't have a spare 4-Barrel sitting around anywhere. Can the intake holes in the manifold be bored out a little to pull more air/fuel mix into the motor?

Attached Files:

14. Hemiroid

Hemiroid

I was at a swap meet last fall [2014] and found a 9425-B but it had the smaller [tea-pot] carb bolt pattern, so I thought.

Did I miss the boat and walk away from a deal or is there more than one style of "B" intake and one is more valuable than another???

15. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You need the whole casting number to tell what you have got so the short answer to your question is yes, there are several different 9425-B intake manifolds. Regarding manifold numbers, here is a chart from the Y-Block-Info website listing intake manifold numbers for the small Y-Block engine family (239-312):
    (remember anything 4 barrel 56 and earlier is a "Teapot" base, and 57 up is "Holley" base)

Y-BlockIntakeManifoldNumbers.jpg

16. not only is he carb mounting base different, the runners are larger in the '57 manifold. and the 57 is taller, flows a lot better. I swapped to the 57 manifold and a 57 Holley carb (list #1273) and got a lot better performance. go with the 57 manifold.

17. I have one of those off a '57 Merc 312 put up for my '55 Ford.