Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods X-Member Manufacturer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pewsplace, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Does anyone know who makes this kit for a Deuce chassis? I thought it was CE but the one in their catalog doesn't look like this one. I like the pedal arrangement. Any idea of who offers this would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

DSC02829.jpg

2. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Looks like the one brookville has in their frames.... Doesn't look very functional with that big cut -out for the clutch

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

A simple half- loop of 1/8"X1" cold rolled stock would fix that really quickly.

4. brady1929

brady1929

5. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I never noticed that notch. I would have to fix that. Maybe I could just have my local sheet metal shop bend some u - channels and make my own. Looks easy enough for a good shop to make.

It does look like a Brookville X member.

6. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I can't help with the identity of that x member but I've seen some of ELpolacko's stuff and it's righteous.

need louvers ? and ELpolacko like this.
  7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

There was a company that made X members but all I can remember is that they were located in Baltimore OHIO coming from Maryland it stuck in my brain... I used one on my first 34 PU and bought an unused one for my 32 PU They may no longer be in business I don't think anyone restores old frames anymore...they just buy the repro frames. It would not be difficult to build your own but accurate kits sure make it easy. Maybe this will rattle some gray matter and someone will remember their name

8. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I have found by the time you buy the material and pay for cuts and bends your into it about the same price as buying chassis engineering legs

I have had very good luck using CE
    legs, making my own center bulkhead for clutch trans and making my own pedal arrangement

9. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I just started these last night. Local metal shop broke up 2 60" pieces of 11 gauge 5 3/4 x 1 1/2, cost me 75 bucks. I hated to spend 360 bucks for the Chassis rails, only to cut them up. I will buy the trans mount kit from chassis engineering.

Attached Files:

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

11. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

That is what I want to do. I can make my own and make it fit my frame. I am not using a stock K-member so I would need about 7-8 ' channel to be safe. I called Industrial Metal and they quoted me $100 for the material (11 gauge). I have a friend with a sheet metal shop who said it would take his man about 1/2 hour to make the u channels. I am going to give it a try. Thanks for your input and photos.

12. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I think his work is top notch! I just cant swing the 1k for that. I did consider it earlier though...

13. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Here is a couple more pics. The relay went out in my Miller welder, so I am at a stopping point until I can get it repaired.

Attached Files:

14. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

Progressive Automotive was in Baltimore OH

15. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Is there a reason you made them with the C channel facing in like a 34-40 ? I noticed some make them facing the other way with the smooth side facing in like below. The cutting would be easier and just weld them back together. I need the whole X but am puzzled by all the different styles. I guess it doesn't matter.
    Thanks.

L1020952.jpg

16. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I did mine like chassis engineering, only because I will be using their trans mount. I like the way they intend for the trans kit to be welded to the X rails. With the lip on the inside, the trans plate could set on top of the lip, and be self supportive and not have to rely on the bolts to carry the rear of the trans weight. The trans still could be dropped out from the bottom if needed to.

17. alchemy

alchemy

Pretty sure C.E. made that crossmember sold by Clarke.

18. The reason I do my bolt-in kits similar to the 33-40 style frames is that it's easier to bolt them in. Most all of the frames we are building are un-boxed, having the channel reversed like the 41-48 style is it flows easier with front and rear frame horn boxing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy likes this.
  19. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Thanks for your response. I understand why most are done like the original 33-40 frames. I will do mine the same or maybe just purchase one if I can afford to. I do like the style better than round or TCI style tubing which is what I am after. I worry about exhaust routing but I know it can be done.

20. Danny G

Danny G

I think Dagel made one similar

21. Not the best pictures of the exhaust. This is the 5W we are currently finishing up. 2.25" exhaust and some pretty big Magnaflow round mufflers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not the easiest thing to pull off, but the exhaust goes up and over the center crossmember.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then there was the exhaust we did for Anthony (B1gdaddy)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]