Register now to get rid of these ads!

Would you guys consider putting a 4 cylinder in your ride?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tlmartin84, Sep 7, 2011.

1. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Just curious, I've pretty much decided and have even started buying parts for the 300 six for my F100. However today I was reading an article that had some 2.3L Fords getting 600hp which got me doing some research.

Most of that was turbocharged which isn't street practical, but I did some searching and found esslingers's website. Called and talked to them, and a 250hp 2.3L engine is pretty practical(as far as getting that hp out of it).

Then my thought was hmm, my first truck was a ranger with a 2.3, and I miss the crap out of it. If I could buy it back, rebuild the motor and plug it in my F100 project getting 250 ponies that would be pretty effin cool.

Plus could you imagine it at a car show, all the old guys going man thats a good looking truck and then pop the hood and see a 4 banger in it....one that can hold its own at that.

Just curious, lets here some opinions good or bad!

2. There is a HUGE thread on the Ford 2.0, 2.3 and 2.5 motors on here - SEARCH
    I am started on a 29 RPU with a 2.3 as we speak.

I wouldn't how ever use one in something as heavy a an F100. I had and Esslinger motor that was close to 300hp in my Ranger Race truck, but it would have been a dog in an F100 - not enough Torque for a big heavy truck

3. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Ranger Curb weight: 2970
    F100 Curb Weight: 3460

Roughly 500lbs on Weight. However I'm sure that 2.3 Liter weighs less than any of the old F100 motors. I could also build the truck lighter too. Probably get it close to the weight of the ranger. I would think double the power in a ranger would be pretty dang good.......

4. Gator

Gator

5. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

6. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

7. I've heard of Hondas and Subarus getting way more than 600.
    Maybe you would rather have one of those ?

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

3,000 lbs. for a '53-'56 F 100 is easy. (my '55 weighs 3,000 lbs. w/ SBC, 350 T.H., 9" rear)
    However, I can't imagine stepping on 4 cylinders in that rig...the sound alone would be castrating.

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

10. If it was a Model T or A, or similarly small, maybe.

11. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

LOL if I do it......It will be kept as quite as possible. Not into that weedeater sound......

And guys have got more than 600 out of these.......

I just think its neat to be able to get that kind of power out of a 4 cylinder. I know there are the V8 die hards, but what makes 8 cylinders so important if you can pull the same power out of something smaller, I mean power and torque are power and torque, and the rear tires don't know if its a 4 or 8 makin it.

12. No.

The magical "600hp" 4 banger isn't going to be reliable and or street drivable. It will have very little torque, and the 600 figure for peak hp will be a very narrow peak. It's absolutely apples and oranges.

Maybe in a stripped out rad rod shell for laughs, but I wouldn't waste the time it would take if you have an idea it will be "600hp" or if you thinking it will pull like a V8.

V8s have power down low, look at a dyno chart for a 4 banger.

No.

13. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

14. ya on my lawn mower !!!!!

15. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Not a chance...

16. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Not unless it had one to begin with, ala a stock Model A banger.

17. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

I'm putting a turbocharged 2.0L GM Ecotec in my Model A tudor sedan. I'm expecting to make an easy 400 hp to the wheels. Would I ever put a turbo banger in a full size truck? HELL NO. At least an A sedan isn't too heavy but a truck? No way Jose.

Sure, a four banger might make 400, 600, 800 or even 1000 hp but the high the power level the higher up in the revs it's going to make it. Most 800+ hp banger motors have to rev from 8000-10000 rpm to see that kind of power. If this were a race truck and you could drive the snot out of it all the time then it might be okay but this would be a crappy combo for a fat street truck. Anything stop-and-go would BLOW big time.

Yes, it is neat to make that much power but be practical with it. Plus, I wouldn't ever both with a high power N/A banger motor either. Way too much effort when you can turbocharge it and make 100% more power without even trying.

18. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

be good if the truck weighed 1800 lbs

19. TERPU

TERPU

He He, Only in a Model it came in originally. Even then you gotta understand the limitations.

Tim

20. gotmark73

gotmark73

I am building a Lakes style roadster with a 2.3, because I want it to fit under the T hood.

21. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Another good 4 cylinder is the 2.0 Liter Duratec (Zetec) engine found under the hoods of countless Ford Focus' and ZX2's. Grab the engine, wiring harness, and PCM out of one and have fun! Plenty of go fast goodies available because of the tuner market. With the dual overhead cam desing it shouldn't be hard to dress one out to look like an old Offy.

22. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

http://www.esslingeracing.com/crate-engine.htm#

Here's there crate engine package.......I'm not buying this but just for show and tell, the torque numbers are around 170ftlbs at 5500 and max 210hp at 8 grand.

Those arent bad numbers for an everyday driver........I see a ton of rangers on the road everyday. They have enough power to get them up and down the road.

23. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

24. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Even if you got the Hp you're looking for out of it, you can pretty much forget towing with it, not near enough torque. Also, when you start pumping that much power out of 4 cylinders, I imagine you'd have to rebuild it much sooner than normal, depending what PSI you run the turbo at (if you're thinking of power adders).

For a smaller hot rod that you're just throwing together, I wouldn't see a problem with a 4 banger, just put a quiet muffler on it. :rolleyes:

25. [​IMG]

Works fine for me so far, running a bone stock, hi mile, low performance carbed Ranger 2.3/5spd, I have winter plans... not traditional just cheap

I have a couple other more traditional projects to keep me busy, with the help of some good friends this was built as an easy daily driver and light duty parts runner.

Lets here from some HAMBers with early Tempest fours, Chevy fours or Ford sixes, before this thread gets shut down

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  26. silent rick

silent rick

it would have to be a B with an overhead conversion, maybe a riley two port. otherwise, no.

27. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

I think you're on the wrong forum. Any way you look at it a 4 banger in an F100 isn't traditional.
    Add me to the Hell NO list.

28. 61falcon

61falcon

though about building another falcon as more of a daily driver and thought about putting a 4 or v6 in it for economy. the engine would defenitly be off topic but the idea of fuel injection, ac and and maybe speed control in an old round body falcon seems like a fun project.

29. Only if it's a Model A or Model B.

30. if it came with one