Register now to get rid of these ads!

Worlds fastest y-block ???????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ROLLING BONES 1A, Aug 23, 2011.

1. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

Rolling bones racer car # 560

2. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

You guys build some really cool stuff!

3. lorodz

lorodz

thats awsome, congrats.

4. 067chevy

067chevy

Love those Y blocks!!!!

5. Tedd

Tedd

At the '57 meet, Karol ran a two way average of 150.097 mph for the flying mile using a 302" Y. At the '58 meet, Karol ran 151.997 mph average with a 259" Y.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011

6. Ted, I enjoyed meeting you. Talking engines with you was a treat, you gave me a new found respect for Yblocks! Helping Tim was a highlight of my year!

7. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

Very impressive, you get my vote.

8. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

impressive stuff! 175 is damn fast congrats to you guys. I absoluetly LOVE that car. what are the specs on the engine?

Now the ford battlebirds ran at daytona, the 98 car which was a 312 apparently ran a 205+ one way, but blew the engine and didn't back it up
    http://theamazoeffect.blogspot.com/2011/06/ford-battlebirds.html

there is a thread on the hamb about them too.

9. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

Bill Wimble of Lisbon, NY and former sporstman national champ, ran a '57 4 dr (his daily driver) w/ 312 and dual quads to a flying mile of 138mph+/- on the sand at Daytona when the car was a couple of months old. not too shabby for way back then!

10. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

Congrats Keith!

11. Ricky Bobby

Ricky Bobby

Bonneville was a blast! I spent the entire time helping Keith and Ted with the car. The car was truly maintenance free between runs. Ted's engine skills, and Keith's car building skills make for one awesome Rolling Bones Racer!

12. Ken & Keith,
    I spent a hopur or so trying to do some background on top speed for a 313 Y block with not much luck.....So as far as I am concerned you guys are the TOP DOG....Untill someone comes along anmd shows me something better for top speed.
    WAY TO GO BONES BOYS.....
    Dennis

13. rollingbones 1

rollingbones 1
    from UPSTATE NY

We must conceed to the 98 car,I read the blog & it indeed went 205+.
    Oh well, it felt good while it lasted.
    There is always next year.
    Keith

14. Kieth's car is considerably faster than the pickups we run but that's not an apples to apples comparison. There is also engine class to consider. I would certainly say that Keith has the fastest N/A street driven Y-Block. Keith, Ted and the guys worked hard for the speeds they got and should be congradulated.

As for our trucks, the "Brick" has been retired and had a best run of 124.6 on 258ci. Not too bad for a step-side short bed "Fridge". And my '62 Uni is just getting started, although 165 mph is my goal with a Y. The 200 mark that Tman spoke of will be with a different plant.

15. Don't feel bad Keith, that one ran a lot of boost. ;)

16. Congratulations, love those Alu heads.

17. 6deuce32yblock

6deuce32yblock

nothing wrong with keith's driving skills.a 32 cpe. needs alittle aerodynamic help. i would think louvers in the roof and hood as well as some other details will produce more speed and that y/block is capable of delivering more. way to go keith,ted.

18. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

It's not how fast you go, it's how you go fast! :D Don't forget to multiply your top speed with a cool factor of 10 and you guys are world champs! Keith, I hope to see you and the car at Ty-Rods. Congrats on an awesome run. ~ Scott

19. 175 Wow! That is great!

20. rollingbones 1

rollingbones 1
    from UPSTATE NY

Scott, I would love to be there but, between my boys Pop Warner Football schedule,& other family stuff,I wont be there.

21. hershambob

hershambob

what tires do you run on the salt??

22. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

I think you still win, Ive been both places. The sand is a harder surface then the salt just as the tide went out which was when they raced, the sand is at sea level where Bville is around an actual 3700+ ft, lastly the aerodynamics are hardly equal. You engine in the Tbird body alone would probably do it

23. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

I second that, plus they didn't back up their pass. 175 in a duece is pretty mind blowing!!! I am in lust with that car

24. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Congrats, guys! Really wish I could've been out there this year, but it just wasn't in the cards. Looking forward to what you have in store for next year.
    175 is very impressive!

Malcolm

25. hotrod3w

hotrod3w
    Member Emeritus

Just a mild-mannered Boner from upstate New York with his trusted partner always at his side. Keith Cornell set out with only one goal in mind...to go 175 mph in the Wicked Sisters black deuce. With his trusted engine builder, Ted Eaton from Texas, who prepared the best bullet for this westward adventure. Each run came closer and closer to the quest in hand. Finally, in the last run...there it was....175 mph! Wow, it was great. Enjoy the pictures.

Attached Files:

26. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

All of us Boners are proud of the success, esp us transplanted upstate NYers! Great run Keith, Ted and Ken!

27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Karol's '56 Ford Fairlane hardtop was well prepared. He hacksawed off the front 2 cylinders from a junk block and heads, machined a shaft that turned in the main journals from an electric motor, and chain-drove a few different camshafts.
    He hooked up a tach, and watched the valve train (2 rockers/valvesprings) with a strobe light. Some adjusting of ramps on cam lobes resulted in a camshaft with minimal valve float, excellent harmonics; After the cam grinder (Isky? Forget now...) copied Karol's profiles, further adjustments resulted in high operable RPM and an 'impossible' speed of 150+!

I had a '56 Ford with 'Y' block at that time...Karol Miller's car spoke loudly to me.

I'm thrilled with you guys and your dedicated labors toward this remarkable engine.
    (Yeah, even with its 'odd porting arrangement'!)

28. 24 Dodge

24 Dodge
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You bones guys are awesome!!!!!!! I can't wait for garage night to here the stories.

Mike a Boner from Syracuse. " The Salt Rats"

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  29. Hot Rod did a story on Millers experimenting and prep back in the day,,,

30. Ted and Keith cam to visit us in the pits, hopefully some of that speed will rub off on us.

[​IMG]