Register now to get rid of these ads!

Women in Hot Rodding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

[​IMG]

I have seen this photo in the History Of Hot Rodding book. The book covers information on the dry lakes racing in California. If I remeber corectly, that picture was taken in the late '40s at the El Mirage lake bed in California; at least that is what the book said, anyway.

2. jay64

jay64

I have recently made the aquaintence of a hot rod girl (through the sale of my own car) and she is incredible. She works with her hands creating art work and 4 out of the 6 vehicles she owns and drives are standard shift. She can weld and turn a wrench and it's something that comes as natural to her as if she was born with it, which , after meeting her Dad, I'm sure she was... I was standing next to her at a car show and some Jckarse says "ain't it kind of hard for you to drive that 4 speed?" If he only knew that angel face also rides a Harley and is SO mechanically inclined... The only thing not picture perfect on her are her hands....And I love it...I appreciate PEOPLE who appreciate cars...Learn it Live it Love it. ..I love the Hot rod ladies...I'm new to this site and still kind of lurking and reading but I want to say ..Denise I don't know ya or Chevy girl But here's a hat's off to you And all you other fine ladies Thanks for being the women you are... Write that book....
    Bravo.

3. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

I just found this thread...and its way cooool...! I've been racing/ building for thirty plus years..never considered having a girl do anything but "maybe" back me up after a burnout. This all changed about three years ago. One of the guys that worked for me started bring his girlfriend along to the races, we started out letting her do the "usual girl" chores...ie..cook, clean the car and back the car up after the burnout. As time went on, we gave her more and more to do. EVERYTHING we gave her, she EXCELLED at..! Last year she started bringing her girl friend along to the races too. Long story short, these two young ladies, both in their early twentys are now staples in my race program. Michele, who is seen in the pics backing me up is a nurse by day, Liz is a diesel mechanic who works for a local ford dealer. We taught them to weld over the winter and both picked it up really well. Liz can tig and mig and her welds look better than mine. Both work on our nostalgia projects and our alcohol funny car. The real funny thing is neither of their boyfriends work with us any more but they stuck...!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

My wife...She usually times in a tenth faster than me because she is 40 lb. lighter.

Attached Files:

5. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Well, you know, its cheaper to keep her.:)

6. LabRat

LabRat

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  7. Ramblur

Ramblur

Wow! Primer in her eyes....how cool is that?

8. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

aunt Bookie, Mom back left. circa before i was born. they still into cars today. Mom just had Kevin Moore pinstripe her daily driver.[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Mr. Haney, just how UGLY was your father. Mom was pretty hot, so what happened?

10. MERC 55

MERC 55

This is what it's all about.

Attached Files:

11. griff321@comcast.net

[email protected]
    from IN.

what A parts are you lookong for I got some and know off more in north west in.

12. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

your mother !

13. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Nice Blog..Thanks Ryan!
    Some great pictures posted...

14. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

This one really needs to be brought back up and have some of the Ladies of the HAMB post what they have been up to, especially the newer ones and those that have dragged home new projects. Let's see some photos and stories ladies.:cool:

15. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

My wife loves going along when we have a cruise or show. Most of the guys in the club have wifes that could'nt care less about "hot rods" , not mine , When I was building my car my wife would bring me snacks or drinks out to the garage and hang out a watch me work. Guess I'm a lucky one.

16. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

A lady that as far as I can see that is missing here is Louise Ann Noeth (landspeed Louise). If you know the name most likely you know her contribution to HotRodding. If you don't know the name, shame on you. This is a great thread.

17. Nerdbynight

Nerdbynight

This is my car. He was dubbed "Cruizer" by his first owner, so that's what I call him.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  18. kisam

kisam

The Ladies Of The Hamb (LOTH) are trying to track down some of these woman. We want to hear their stories....

If anyone knows these ladies, please forward their contact info to Denise, Megan or I.

Peggy Brendel, Kathy Taylor, Marty Lampadakis, Joyce Simpson, Patty Eliis, Doris Stinson-Lutes, and I am sure there are many more. These ladies would now be in their late 70's to early 80's. We have already waited to long to hear Veda Orr reflect on her past.

19. SuzieQ

SuzieQ
    from Mesa, AZ

My husband, DaveyDeuce, brought this board to my attention, I've been off for a while because I've been busy with our first grandbaby, a girl, that being said. I too have been offended by guys coming up and asking about my car and then brushing me off by saying that I wouldn't or couldn't possibly know because I was a girl. My response has been that it is my car, and I've even been told that even it was my car, that someone else must have built it for me. We, notice it is WE, have several cars, but I have "stolen" some of them from my guy as "MINE" even though they are really ours. The ones I have taken consist of a 40 Ford Opera Coupe, 34 Fordor (that He drove in high school in 1957/58) that he chopped big time for me, and finally a 40 Tudor. We have always worked together building our hot rods AND maintaining our every day vehicles. He has built the engine/transmissions with my help, we have painted and sanded together, I love wet and color sanding, which he HATES, and I have always done the interiors, with his help of cutting the door panels and helping with gluing. I defy anyone to say that interiors are simple. Just try doing one with compound curves, no patterns to go from and trying to do a style that you have NOT a clue that he wants. He was a 50s kid and I didn't get my first car until 1969, which by the way was a 64 Plymouth Fury 383. When my hubby met me I was driving a 1969 Shelby GT350; and I had just sold my 70 Hemi Cuda and 65 Hi-po 289 Convertible. I fell in love with his 32 5 window coupe, because it was such a "cute" car (LOL). I didn't have any cars while I was growing up it was just too hard getting a decent car in the Territory of Alaska. I was raised in the "bush" where we didn't have roads, electricity, or other people. We traveled by horses and airplane. I have raised and broke horses since I was a kid. I have flown and owned my own plane since I was a young girl. I still have my OWN Cessna 180, that is has also been customized by my husband. When we were racing our 65 Dodge A990 back in the early 70s I was part of the pit crew. I elected not to drive because it was a little difficult to figure out what to do with a baby at the same time I was in behind the wheel. Yes, I break still horses, fly airplanes, drive hot rods, hunt, fish (kill animals and fish) yet I still cook, bake, take care of the house, run parts, and take car of my husband, daughters and granddaughter. Both of our girls are into hot rods the oldest has a 55 Ford F100, and is trying to talk her daddy out of the 57 Corvette. The youngest has a 56 F100 and a hot rod camaro. She has already started buying overalls for the 3 week old Penelope and her husband is already saying "oh no! another hot rodder in the family." In fact Trish wants to get a picture of the little one with her hand on a car, preferably the 65 A990, before we let it go (time for a move to WA and a new place). Yes, I have rambled on and on, but I get really fried when I see guys being stupid about women in hot rodding, I am often called on by my husband to help with transmissions, rear ends, gaskets, rings, torque converters, steering columns, brakes and all the rest that goes with it because he can't/won't ask anyone else. Plus it gives me a great deal of pride to be able to say, yes, I built it and I drive it. I have attached a few of "my" toys. The 5 window is "hubby's" the "flame" 40 is hubby's, the 40 in Primer is "mine" as well as the 34 and airplane. In the background of the pair of 40s is our "hot rod motorhome, a 78 GMC." Yep, years and years of collecting the good stuff.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
    elgringo71 likes this.
  20. prttyplymouthgal

prttyplymouthgal

21. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I've seen this picture before with most guys remarking about the view from this side of the car but going by the legs over the cowl on the other side I'd say this pic shows 2 woman involved in land speed racing in some way.

22. Why are all the good car gals taken?
    There must be some single ones out there, come on, fess up! :D

23. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Well most of them don't come that way, they have been converted for personal use.

tb33anda3rd and kiwijeff like this.
  24. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

My mom wasn't a hot rodder but she could work on cars if she HAD to. She was on her way home from work one day (1980's) when the power steering hose blew off her Chrysler. An auto parts store was close by so she walked over to it, bought the hose, a screw driver, a wrench and the fluid and changed it in a parking lot. It got her home that day. So she calls me up to take a look at her work to make sure it was ok. I gave her a thumbs up and went on my way. She had a mechanical mind, probably where I got it.

25. Brizo

Brizo
    from Indy

I've read before that it's Dot Robinson, who co-founded the Motor Maids motorcycle club in 1941. She was famous as one of the first female motorcycle racers and endurance riders. She rode until she was 85, and died in 1999 at age of 87

kiwijeff likes this.
  26. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

This is so true!

kiwijeff likes this.
  27. Hey ME Gasser Lady wish there were more of you Lady's out there too do there own build and enjoyable rides would gives us guys something to work towards and just be able to say you know that lady is my partner doesn't she do nice work. It would be an Honor to meet you and chat about the Willys.

28. The wife helping me wire the roadster!:cool:
    001.JPG

29. Not the wife posing with the roadster:rolleyes:
    100 Percent Kulture 079.JPG