Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wire wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by freddyflo, Aug 5, 2008.

1. freddyflo

freddyflo
    from pearland

I am building a 29 Model A and want to run old style wire wheels on it but have been told that the old wheels are a problem. That they poke through rubber, never are true etc. Does anyone know how i can use these wheels or what I need to do? I want the old school wire wheels that came on these cars originally, like a 20 inch wheel, or 18 etc. I called Wheel Vintiques and they are over $700 a wheel, which is not an option. Thanks im open for suggestions.

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

28-9s had 21 inch wheels ,30-31 had 19s. If you plan on running any more motor than a hot 4 banger these ain't what you need. What are you planing for power ? A little more info would help.

3. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

Coker sells new repo 21in and 19in. Should be a lot more true than a 75 year old rim. And they are a featured vendor for H.A.M.B. Alliance Members -

4. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Surely you would want to run the 16 inch 1935 ford wire wheels, would be a better bet for an all round wheel and time proven.

Then again I may have missed your point.

5. jdownunder

jdownunder

16,s are the go

6. I have used 1935 16" ford wheels for a few years and encountered erratic steering when braking. I changed to disk wheels and the steering problem disappeared.
    The Ford welded spoke wheels were not as good as wheels with wires which adjusted with a wrench. They could be trued accurately.

7. So how would you true a '35 wire wheel?Thanx.

8. I have never heard the "poke through rubber" story but some people do run rim liners. You may need to look around a little to find good rims. There are people that can straighten rims. Contact a local Model A or Early Ford V8 club and ask for people in your area that straighten rims. The national club sites where you can find local clubs are: mafca.com, modelaford.org and earlyfordv8.org. Without knowing more about your car or seeing a picture my first choice would be '29 wheels. My second choice would be 16 inch bent spoke Kelsey wheels. Remember if you run Ford wire wheels you need adapters to run them with hydraulic brakes.

Charlie Stephens

9. In addition to fixing bent spokes (by straightening or replacing) there are people that have built machines to bend the wheels back into alignment (assuming they are not to far out). Contact a local Model A or Early Ford V8 club and ask for people in your area that straighten rims. The national club sites where you can find local clubs are: mafca.com, modelaford.org and earlyfordv8.org. Any chance you are near Ron Kelly? He might be able to help or tell you who can.

Charlie Stephens

10. One random thought, if you run the 21 inch rims get your tubes from Bratton's. There are a lot of complaints lately about the quality of tubes but Bratton's had high quality tubes made for them that will hold air for a long time. I assume hey will cost more. Once again, how about some pictures!

Charlie Stephens

11. Thanx for the info Charlie.I'm in the efv8 club here.

12. The only style spoke that might "poke through" are the adjustable spokes. Ford spokes are welded to the rim. Chrysler products and others had adjustable spokes. Usually, the inner rim rubber band will protect the tubes.

13. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

My 31 PU has 33 Ford wire wheels. 17". No problems so far. At least that I'm aware of.