Register now to get rid of these ads!

Winner of our HAMB auction What-a-deal!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ntxcustoms, Oct 7, 2011.

1. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

Treb11 won our HAMB auction a little while back and we wanted to show just what he got for supporting the HAMB. This was our second blasting/priming auction we've had and with two VERY happy guys we plan to do more. There is not much I can do to give back so seems like a pretty good way to do so. Let me tell you guys, when we post up our next one, it's worth it! You'll get the biggest bang for your hard earned buck and so will the HAMB to boot! The auction is for 5 hours of blast time and epoxy priming all surfaces blasted with PPG epoxy primer.

Treb11 won this one for only $400!!!! He brought in a trailer packed full-o-parts and only a couple of parts didn't get done. Here's some pics....

Attached Files:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  2. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

Here's some more. Look how many parts were blasted and primed in the 5 hours time that the auction was for. All the parts on ground and all the parts hanging...

Attached Files:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  3. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

WOW,that's a great deal! Props to you guys for sponsoring the auction.
    Dusting parts isn't easy work...

4. johnboy13

johnboy13

Wish I was closer. I really don't think a "That rocks!" comment says enough.

5. Edit: I somehow posted in the wrong thread.... Sorry for the confusion ntxcustoms!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  6. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

Well Speedy I wish we were closer to you so you could try to win our next one.;)

7. ntxcustoms... please see my above post. Sorry if you were confused about what the hell I was saying.

8. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

question - how much would, all that you did there, cost if he was just a guy off the street? $400 is a great deal, i would imagine.

9. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

We charge $145/hr for blasting. I know a lot of guys on here will choke on their Jimmy Dean breakfast with that number, but hear me out.

1. We are using an expensive reusable media that is pretty much dust. It will not damage or warp your panels while leaving the metal "white"

2. We only blast cars and have done so for years. We are not an industrial blasting facility and so you will not see building trusses or armor plate being blasted next to a 1930 coupe. We can adjust our pressure to handle delicate parts.

3. We are probably the only fully certified blasting shop in our area ( I could be wrong ) with a huge dust collector pulling all dust harmful dust out. We also properly dispose of our waste as it is full of arsenic, lead, mercury, etc. Most shops I know blast out in the open or with the door open and let all their neighbors huff this stuff everyday. This adds overhead that the guy who pulls up and blasts in your yard doesn't see. But all the soda blasters and portable/field guys are leaving behind toxic heavy metals that are present in all old paint.

4. We blast for a LOT of rod shops in the DFW, and they love the outcome. We must be doing something right.

On top of that the PPG epoxy is expensive with two quarts of hardener needed per gallon. The parts shown used at least 2 to 3 gallons ( i would have to check with my painter to see the total amount of quarts). Of course HAMB members get a 10% discount across the board.

So the value of our auction is anywhere between $800 to $1,200 in labor and materials.

10. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

Speedy - I figured as much but I was going along with you ;):D

11. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

got to keep you all in mind since i'm working on a '54 and will need it blasted. any reps going to be at the conroe swapmeet in nov?

12. jipp

jipp

quite the deal then for sure..
    chris.

13. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

We just might go to the conroe meet. We have quite a few customers that come from Houston and the surrounding areas.

14. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

see you all out there if you do. :cool:

15. I totally agree. Most guys have no clue how much a gallon of DP series epoxy costs, and when they do find out, they suggest some cheap ass stuff that I would call a cousin to whitewash.

16. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HI guys ! I just rolled back to home after unloading from the road trip to North Tx Customs. Long week! I am super excited about the major progress made by stripping and refinishing my parts. They went from nasty, rusty, multi-colored to metalwork ready. I have worked with industrial blasting and coating for years and trust me, these guys are top notch. They know what they are doing. I will post up my own pics shortly

For general information, I did not know how fast their process was going to get to "white metal" so I loaded up just about everything I had. 200 psi and sugar garnet strips FAST ! They shot a cab, two doors, three running boards, two front fenders, a hood, four backing plates, windshield trim, fender liners, a tailgate, front grill mounting and latch bits, four bumper brackets, two a-arms, a M2 crossmember and hats, two spindles and a couple of other bits. They got into all the little nooks and crannies, up under the dash and just did a superb job.

Tyler, Beth, Christopher, John, Jesus, Eddie, Robert and all the crew did a great job.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
    tb33anda3rd likes this.
  17. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. shadams

shadams

Nice! I laughed at ntxcustoms explanation of his blasting set up. The guy that did my frame and suspension parts had the nastiest set up. There was sand and old paint on EVERYTHING, his "office" was covered. The only clean spot was where his ass and back wiped it off his chair. But it was all I could find at the time and they did a good enoguh job. For body stuff I would have never let them do it. Nice work guys!