Register now to get rid of these ads!

Windshield interchange? 49 Olds fastback

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57JoeFoMoPar, Jul 6, 2012.

1. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase a 49 Olds 2 door fastback, but it has no windshield. The guy knows a buddy of his with a parts car, but it's a 4 door fast back. Will the glass interchange from 2 door fastback to 4 door fastback?

What about Pontiacs and Chevs?

Thanks!

2. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Not 100% sure about the olds but here goes:

For Chevys, any styleline windshield will fit any other styleline body style:

[​IMG]

Any fleetline windshield will fit any fleetline body style:

[​IMG]

Twodoor, fourdoor doesn't matter- it's the HEIGHT of the glass that's different- by a whopping one inch. (Way to go 1947 GM engineers)

I understand that the '51/'52 olds had a one piece windshield- and that this is a popular swap for the chevs that still had the 2 piece. So it should fit.

You've just gotta watch the body style.

I know Canadian Pontiacs are the same, I've never seen a US one up close to compare. They're probably interchangeable, but I'll leave that to the masses here to chime in.

3. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

So yeah- 2 door and 4 door cars of the same body style share windshield glass.

4. As long as it comes from a Fleetline (Fastback), it will fit. (not counting the earlier years) Good Luck! THeyre neat cars. I love mine.

James

5. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Perfect, thanks for the great info guys!

6. oldolds

oldolds

Are you working on a 80 or 90 series body? If 80 series then a 1950 winshield would be the way to go, one piece

7. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Fleetline style bodies all use the same windshield and I think all 49 body styles used split windshields, that being said 50 olds one piece windshields from a fastback style will fit all GM fastback cars with the removal of the center bar.

8. the 50 Olds windshield also fits a 50 Chevy sedan delivery (see avatar). The styleline chevy's glass is indeed about an inch shorter than the fleetline - I spent the better part of a day taking the windows and trim out of a 50 chevy styline in hopes that they might fit my 50 Pontiac 2 dr sedan - oh well, now they're swap meet material.

9. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Honestly, I don't know, but it sure looks like an 80 series. I go to pick the car up tomorrow morning. I saw it at a garage sale, 49 Olds 2 door fastback, guy told me the price, I thought it was more than fair, and told him I'd be by Saturday morning with a truck and trailer to pick it up. A bit of an impulsive purchase on my part, but WTF, right?

The ultimate plans would be a chop, at which point I would definitely swap in the 50 one piece windshield. But for the time being, I would like to put some glass in the car and make it a running, driving vehicle as cheap as possible.

I'll post some pics of it once I get it home. Thanks for all the advice guys, you're the best