Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Willys PU build....from sedan panels.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kiwi Kev, Apr 22, 2012.

1. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

KEV:
    HERE IS A FAMOUS ROCKET FROM MY AREA.
    396/4 GEAR / LEE WOLLEY 2015 006.JPG CALLED THE RINO

2. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Footprint is approx 9.5" the dia is more or less 29.5".
    The Hoosiers that were on the truck were the same size, hope this helps.
    Ray

3. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Ray, just thinking ahead for some slicks for my truck

4. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Got my seat covers today from Matt the Stitch (check him out on Facebook) and fitted them, he's made an awesome job of them. Just need to get a flake steering wheel and thats all that will be changed. Don't want to get too fancy :rolleyes:
    SDC13009.JPG

kiwijeff, loudbang, Muttley and 3 others like this.
  5. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Looks cool as Ray.

6. BreadVan

BreadVan

I think they look great Ray, but I would say that. Thanks for the plug. Me and Femke will catch up with you over the upcoming season

7. loudbang

loudbang

He did a nice job. It's looking like an old time gasser more and more.

8. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Another milestone reached, good friend Rick Pearmain finished up my headers and I spent a few hours dressing the welds and giving them a general clean up and trial fitted them prior to painting with VHT, I'm really pleased with how they turned out.
    Also got a new slimline electric cooling fan that I mounted engine side and made some new stays for the radiator.
    I had some new lettering made up for the doors which is a bit more "in yer face" as I thought the old ones were a bit too subtle and didn't show up that well from a distance. Still in vinyl, will get around to having it lettered properly some day but would rather spend the cash on more important things at the moment.
    Got to make a top hose and find a place to locate the remote thermostat housing then add some fluids, next update should be motor running :)
    SDC13010.JPG SDC13017.JPG SDC13015.JPG

justntime, loudbang and langy like this.
  9. Budget36

Budget36

Well there went two hours of my life that I'm glad I'll never get back!

Great work by both of you!

10. 33HEMI

33HEMI

Spot on Ray love the doors mate bet your over the moon.

11. Excellent looking headers too Ray and, yes, the signwritten doors will certainly pop out at you now. Can I ask please as to what is the name of those Rocker covers ? I have a set like that but the centre piece is blank so I am cutting a piece of flat brass to the shape of the Chevy emblem to fit in there. I do like your though but can't read the name.

12. Hey 9 Sectruck, would you have a pic of your steering box and drag link that are hiding under those nicely down headers, I have a thread up right now about steering boxes and linkage. It is called Willy's steering box How did you do yours? Your lettering looks great, I have a couple name I want to use just haven't got that far on mine, Just doesn't seem right if they don't have a name.

13. A little late as I just found this thread.....how did you go about narrowing those front wheels??? The truck is fantastic!!!!!!!

14. How did Kiwi Kev narrow the wheels - Thanks!!!

15. Do a search for ... Narrowing 5 spokes ... and a thread should pop up about the how the front wheels were narrowed.

langy and loudbang like this.
  16. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Whiplash, thanks for your positive comments, the valve covers are Weiand ones I picked up off Ebay, one has the name on it and the other one is plain like your ones.
    I really liked the CalCustom ones I had on the motor originally but they wouldn't go on the correct way round with the blower so the breathers were on the outside and filled with oil after a short while.
    Ray

17. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Heres a pic from page 8 of the build thread, it's a Ross box that Kevin fitted to the truck before I bought it from him.
    [​IMG]

18. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Thanks Paul, I'm really pleased with the way the truck is shaping up and looking forward to getting back out there again.

33HEMI likes this.
  19. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Glad you like it, gonna have some fun this year.

20. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Pushed the truck out into the spring sunshine today to fit the headers that I'd sprayed white VHT and finish plumbing the radiator.
    As it was such a nice day here I thought I'd annoy the neighbours a bit and get the truck running to check for leaks and cure the header paint.
    Spun the motor over to check for good oil pressure flicked the Mag switch on and it fired up straight away :) Ran it for around 5 minutes.
    That was around two hours ago and still smiling now.
    Sounded awesome and no leaks anywhere, the only thing that didn't work was my video camera so will have to wait a while to post some footage.
    I'll probably wait a couple of weeks until I can get to the track to set timing etc where I can make plenty of noise.
    Ray (still grinning)
    SDC13036.JPG SDC13035.JPG SDC13037.JPG

21. Great thread. THANKS

22. Now that is looking smart Ray and almost ready to growl in anger wanting to release those horses on the 1/4 mile track.

23. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Went testing on Sunday at our local airstrip, little in the way of traction but a great opportunity to make some noise and run down the 1/4 mile for the first time with the new setup.
    I was really pleased with the way the truck ran, the motor sounded strong and spun the tires through first and second on both passes but still managed a couple of mid 12's despite that and short shifting at around 5000rpm.
    Put in a nice couple of long smokey rolling burnouts too.
    The weekend after next is the first round of Gasser Circus on a fully prepped track so I should have a better indication of how quick the truck is going to be.
    Heres a couple of pics from the official photographer at the track.
    I also have some video that a friend took but it's on my facebook page and can't be shown on here.
    If interested try this link. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009219068370

Ray
    North Weald 10051502.jpg North Weald 10051501.jpg

24. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Are those seats orange or copper ?

25. 9sectruck

9sectruck

They're copper, in the photo they look more orangey though.

26. Nice burnout photo ! How was the truck handling at the top end ?

27. 9sectruck

9sectruck

All good at the big end, pulling nice and staight but the mph was only 107.
    Might get a bit interesting when go faster.:D

28. The truck is really looking awesome ray! I am so glad you bought it. I am exited to see what you kind of fun you have with it this season. I have been collecting some more parts to go towards making a pickup out of that shot up sedan body I showed earlier in the thread. I have been doing a little trading with my friend Tony from up Bakersfield way. I got a one piece glass front end, a Speedway straight axle, a pair of skinny slot mags and a pickup bed. I have pretty much all of the big parts needed now but the project is nowhere near the top of my to do list. Tony bought a pickup (rolling shell) at the Hot Rod Reunion last year. It had a badly installed Mustang II front end so I have been doing some fabrication on it, frame boxing, new straight axle install, engine and trans mounts, steering box etc. I still have to do the firewall and floor, also get a rear end and ladder bars in. It's not all trading. Anyway here are some pics Of the stuff I got and then some pics of Tonys truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the bed, it is far from straight, Tony is getting a brand new shorter bed to replace this rough one. I already had these rear wheels, just using them to roll Tonys truck around.

[​IMG]

Here are some headers I have that will work for me in the future, got them at the Fathers day swap meet for $25, never been used. I like yours better Ray!

[​IMG]

Here are some pictures showing the progress on Tonys truck......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flowmeister, justntime, langy and 5 others like this.