Register now to get rid of these ads!

will powder coat on headers work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ROBERT JAM, May 12, 2011.

1. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Excuse my ignorance, but I thought porcelain and ceramic were the same thing.
    At any rate, we knew a guy that worked at a stove and water heater manufacturer and had him porcelain/ceramic (you pick) some big block headers on an A/SR many years back as a favor in lieu of the bucks for chrome.
    Light dove grey/white looked absolutely tits, and far better than chrome that would blue after a couple runs. Very easy to keep clean, and worked fantastic the life of the project.
    The only drawback was the tiny chips that flew off each time they were tightened to the heads (no joke, goggles), and they can stand absolutly no stress or damage from being accidentally hit or dropped which can create a major chip problem that can not be easily touched up mid season.
    I'd spend the $$ to do it again especially in an application where looks defiantly matter.
    Tom S. in Tn.

2. Bull

Bull

3. VOETOM

VOETOM
    from MO

Turboroadster is right. DuPont Alesta Pipe Black. Just used it. Will withstand up in the 900 degree F range. The problem is that at WOT, your headers "may" see 1250 degrees F or so in parts of them. The DuPont Pipe Black will work on parts of the headers but may not where pipes join or where the exhaust exits right at the port.
    Here are some parts I just used it on.

Attached Files:

4. chubbie

chubbie

I used the eastwood "silver" high temp powdercoat on the headers of my model A its seen 11,000 miles and looks great. this tread has me rethinking this product. so i called eastwood tech. we talked about the high temp powder. they said they have had no one ever call with a problem. its good to 1,200 degrees! and were going to try it again!!

5. ecode ragtop

ecode ragtop
    from illinois

Ceramic coating is the best, but on a fresh engine don't have it done untill the engine is dynoed or run in ,as if the carbs arn't set right you can get hot spots and discolor your manifoilds or headers before they cure.

6. Ohio Rodder

Ohio Rodder

I agree that a ceramic coating is the way to go.
    There is a place here in Ohio that sets up at many shows called aesthetic finishers, they offer mail order service.
    I have not used them but know many folks that have and have been happy.
    web is www.aestheticfinishers.com
    They call the cermic coat "Armor Coat".

Good luck!

7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

BUMP!

So, a decade later, any reports from the 'so far so good' guys? How about advancements in materials?

Looking to coat some exhaust in a regular 400 degree powder coating oven. Can you do the ceramic in that?

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've had satin black applied by a shop in Omaha on my last 4 cars and it has held up well. I wish I could remember what it costs?

9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I had some tri-Ys powder coated in black 20yrs ago and the coating delaminated within a short time, this time around I had my headers ceramic coated in black, still there years later.

10. Ceramic metallic coating on headers, flat black powder coat on mufflers. Lasted well for 30,000 miles. Made new set of fender dump headers with mufflerws built into collectors but old ones were still like new.
    1-p1March_Meet_sunday_tim_166.jpg IMG_1856.JPG