Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Will I have enough gravity??

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bangerbob, May 25, 2015.

1. bangerbob

bangerbob

Building a A Banger--have the engine done, no body yet. Carb inlet is 18 inches above top frame rail. Will I have enough ++down-hill++ from a 30 Cowl tank??

Stock engine dist. 34 B eng
    carb off 6 cyl Ford
    5.5 Snyder head
    dist fro IMG_0087.JPG m 34 B eng

Model T1 likes this.
  2. Did I read it correctly...a '34 B ( a '34 four cyl.?) engine? That would mean it has a fuel pump boss on the block so you could mount the tank anywhere.

3. I don't know much but I think with less than
    a ful tank you won't be going up-hill too well!
    Just my $.02.

Model T1 likes this.
  4. No fuel pump on that block.

5. bangerbob

bangerbob

Sorry--stock a engine, 34 B distributer

6. Model T1

Model T1

You need a fuel pump unless you want to back up hill all the time.

7. You're probably wanting to stay period correct but I'll say it anyway....think electric. Maybe pressurize the A tank????? with a hand pump?

Model T1 likes this.
  8. Fitty Toomuch

Fitty Toomuch
    from WVa

That braze failing would be my biggest concern, keep an eye on it.

9. bangerbob

bangerbob

I thought about that vibration breaking off the carb---it is well brazed...Time will tell. I think the electric pump will be needed. I could hide it under the fuel tank..I have seen a 6 volt pos. ground at Litttle Dearborn in Minneapolis.

10. My '30 cowl tank bottom is about 19" above the top of the frame rail. After you put a 90 degree fitting on there, your fuel line would run flat. It might still work because of head pressure. At least down to a nearly empty tank.

Model T1 likes this.
  11. Model T1

Model T1

There is a way to find out. Get a body on there and drive it. I was gonna mention a small electric pump. Probably a good idea until the carb falls off the manifold.

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I wouldn't be too concerned about the brazed carb flange breaking off. I have seen a few exhaust manifold outlets brazed back on without subsequent failure.

A small electric fuel pump, at least as a backup to gravity flow, would be my approach too.

Ray

13. 50chevybomb

50chevybomb

Tried to run my banger with an ansen intake and a stromberg 97 built by Jere Jobe off gravity and it just does not cut it .. Electric fuel pump is a must atleast for me and my mission ..once I added a fuel pump as jere suggested it ran beautifully .. Added a police head and a b dist and she's really cookin now ..

14. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

from my experience.. nope it wont work. itll run fine at idle , but on the road it will die with anything less than a 3/4 full tank. Ive put the little square FACET style pumps on two A models with just that setup..instant improvement.

15. Lol, I've had to back up a mountain pass, due to electric pump not having enough grunt. Fun fun fun.

tomkelly88 and Model T1 like this.
  16. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I ran a banger with a Stromberg 94 and gravity feed for several years and only had a problem once. Going up a long hill with about 1/2 tank of gas and it quit, had to wait a few minutes for the carb to fill, don't know if a full tank would have made a difference. I plumbed a line down and put an electric fuel pump on but had to use a pressure regulator. Old carbs are only good for about 2-3 pounds pressure.

17. Way back "when" I brazed Chevy 6 split manifolds including the extra outlet flange. Never had a failure.

18. stimpy

stimpy

I would put facet style pump on it for prevention , a lawnmower is almost a straight shot and it goes thru a filter and so are many old tractors ( m's, B's ) which are basically large banger engines and spin the same rpms , the key is make sure your vent on the tank stays open and has no restriction in it . and the tank bottom is equal to the carb top if you really want to hide a pump with no electric try a vacuum style pump from a outboard motor

19. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree with the crowd that says you need a pump unless you don't mind backfires and not going fast. Been there and tried no pump approach on my banger with a downdraft. It just runs out of gas. I have an inline 6V pump and you can hide it under the frame rails out of sight.
    Let us know how it works out.

Larry

20. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or maybe one from a snowmobile. I've got a 750 CC 4 cylinder Yamaha that can use a lot more gas than an "A" at times and it has a nice, compact pump that looks like it would be easy to mount. I'm not sure if it would work well hooking the impulse line up to the intake of a 4 cycle engine, but it might be worth a try.

21. bangerbob

bangerbob

Thanks for all the ideas, I thought about a snowmobile fuel pump but you do not have the pres/vacuum pulses to run the pump like a 2 cycle engine has.
    My theory for this banger is:
    the year is 1950, I am 18 years old and grandma died and left me her 1930 Roadster. I can only spend $200.00 at a time---That would be $20.00 in 1950. Lots of home made parts and paint--no chrome.

Tony Martino, Model T1 and Hnstray like this.
  22. stimpy

stimpy

we use them on briggs and other multicylinder motors and the pulse isn't that large , they make some that use a constant vacuum source the valve action is done thru the pumping action

Roger53 likes this.
  23. 701 Driver

701 Driver

Don't know if it would help but I could sell you some of our KIWI ...... "down under" gravity, I'm thinking if you use it up there it might get that gas up into your carb when the gas level gets low, ..... I know, I'm too clever for my own good !!!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  24. bangerbob

bangerbob

Thanks but I do not think your gravity would work up here. Your down is our Up. The gas would not even go into the tank! I have given it lots of thought while sitting on the pot---glad I do not have your pot to sit on---in your face it would be. Thanks for the thought.

Tony Martino likes this.