Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Will full disc hubcaps clear 1954 front wheel spindles?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JennSeay32, Oct 21, 2014.

1. JennSeay32

JennSeay32

I want to put full disc hubcaps on my 1954 Chevy belair stock wheels but the front wheel spindles stick out pretty far. Anybody tried this? Thanks!

2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I hate to say it but if you are talking about spun disc I hope not because what you have on there now looks better.
    Dont mean to shoot you down but in my opinion, spun disc only belong on salt flat style racers.

3. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

1954 Chev's came with full disc hubcaps.

4. JennSeay32

JennSeay32

I'm actually wanting the starburst hubcaps is what they're called I believe.

5. I had a problem with baby moon caps on my 1951. Not the spindle sticking out too far, but the dust cap was out further than needed.
    I found mid 1980's S10 2 wheel drive dust caps to fit CLOSER to the spindle nut, allowing room for the baby moon.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  6. JennSeay32

JennSeay32

I'm not sure what a dust cap is

7. It's what covers your outer wheel bearing,washer,castellated nut and carter pin and keeps grease in and dust out! HRP

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Wheel shape and offset comes into play in what fits and what doesn't. A wider wheel and/or one with more 'frontspacing', will accept a greater variety of wheel covers. An extreme example of that is Cadillac wheel from the '60s.....very deep set wheel covers required what looked like a reversed wheel, actually looked .more like a wheel that was mounted backwards (but wasn't).

You could also consider wheel spacers if you needed to gain a small amount of clearance in the hub center. A 1/4" to 1/2" spacer wouldn't change steering geometry enough to notice. But you need to be sure the lug studs are long enough to allow the lug nuts full thread contact.

Ray

9. JennSeay32

JennSeay32

Ok so I guess it is my dust cover that is so big/long. It doesn't look to be sitting out farther than the edge of my wheel but it's close. I just didn't want to order them and then find out they won't fit.

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

'Starburst hubcaps.' Now...That's something to chew on.

Maybe Olds 'Starfires'?

11. JennSeay32

JennSeay32

Basically this is what I want.

Attached Files:

12. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I wouldn't think you'd have a problem. I've run a bunch of different caps on my 54 Buick.

13. JennSeay32

JennSeay32

Does your dust cover stick out pretty far inked monkey?

14. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Yeah, I would think they would be the same as a Chevy's. But I could be wrong.... You could always hit them with a hammer

15. You must be selective on the 54 chevy front (dust cap). Not all wheel covers will clear.

16. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Interesting, well JeanSeay let us know if they fit!