Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Wildwood Classic carshow -cancelled ?!?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODSURFER, Aug 7, 2012.

1. FHMSCC

FHMSCC
    from PA

Koz, I have a question for you...Is Irene the hotel/motel association? This information really brings to light what's going on!! Has there been any word on a future "takeover" of the show so it can continue?

2. Koz

Koz

Irene and her husband are Thundermoto, the company that Wildwood City council has retained to operate the spring and fall car shows along with the Motocross and monster truck shows on the island. Depending on who you talk to the other one was at fault for the breakdown. My opinion has been well documented here and I think it was probably just a bad match. Ernie Triano, the mayor of Wildwood has a bad taste in his mouth because of some past incedents at the show not related to participants. It's not, in my opinion, that the city doesn't want the cars there, they put up with a lot more bullshit from other stuff and love it, (The Irish Fest, Firemans convention, Bike Week, etc,), There are other events that are way worse as far as police intervention etc. Back when the New Jersey Hot Rod Association used to run the show, (in reality the Hotel /Motel Owners Association?), cooperatiobn between the city and the show was great. By Irenes own words she tells me Thundermoto never really wanted the car shows but it was part of the package which explains the lack of enthusiasm. I think they meant well and were open to suggestions but by the time it got to that point, there was no patching things up.

It is my understanding that the show is going on as planned this year and the city and the H/M owners and City Council are actively looking for another promoter. I suggested they split the shows between two entitys, one running monster trucks/motocross and the other taking the car shows.

Wildwood is without a doubt the best venue I have ever seen for a car show, for a lot of reasons, and it would be a shame to see this place wasted. Oddly enough it's also about the least expensive place to go to one as well. The H/M owners are very cool and since it's been held here I've never seen a case where the locals tried to scalp the participants, most of the hotels giving off season rates. In fact the local vendors bend over backwards to see you have a good time. We use this as a kind of reliability run each year.

I'm hoping the right person gets the commision because this could be ten times better than Cruizin Ocean City because of the incredible history of the island. This run could easily be the 'go to" run of the year with just a little tweeking.

3. blown69rat

blown69rat

Guess we will just have to wait and see how it goes this year and who takes over for the future!! Thanks for all the info.

4. Koz

Koz

I do think a good turnout this year no matter what happens would go a long way toward assuring this event going our way. Even if the City fails to pull off the organized event, which I highly doubt, we're still having our party and you can bet that we will let every body I can find in the local governing body, Hotel/Motel Assoc. mnembers and GWCOC know we're there to support the show and expect there to be a good one next year if they don't want a vacant island for the weekend next year.

I know in the past some of the HAMB guys have been ragging about the # of muscle cars that show up, not particularly my cup of tea, but to be honest some of those cars are damn neat. I have a large pic of the 1959 Autorama shop and on the main floor is everything from new 'vettes to vintage race cars. In the words of Rodney King, "Can't we just all get along?" Our HAMB friendly contingent has been growing each year and if the show makes a turn the way I think it will, we can tie up a large portion of the 'boards with the vintage stuff, kind of like they do at Syracuse and the Detroit Cobo Hall basement thing.

Just for the record, The one suggestion that did get implemented was the uptown hang, although it was presented pretty poorly in the Sppring. I always felt they shgould hold something right in the middle of the club district. Let's face it, most rod runs aren't exactly real kid friendly. The great thing about the Wildwood run is you can send the kids to the boardwalk, the ladies who arn't into the car schene can do beach or board time and all the rest can enjoy the substantial number of bars and clubs on Atlantic and Pacific Avenues. The club owners I've talked to ovver the last year or two just wanted to know what band to hire and where the pinups were at. They really want to do what is needed to make this bash great. All we need to do is point them in the right direction.

A reduced door charge or maybe even free will do a lot for helping people to spring for that registration along with free parking anywhere on the island for cars with window cards. Also the Thursday night kickoff party needs to be at one of the big bars down there like it used to be at the Harbor Inn. The street affair at the Imperial 500 in the heart of "no party" Wildwood Crest just ain't cutting it!

Friday night needs to be reserved for enjoying the island. On Saturday the show needss to bring in an independent to promote a decent act with some general appeal, (Maybe Little Isidore and the Inquisitors"?). If this was held at one of the big clubs uptown you coouldn't get all the people in the door. After wards the streets need to be opened up for a cruise. Not a follow the cop around the block, but like it used to be, cars running both ways from Ocean to Pacific, from Jaun Pablos to Rio Grande Avenue. The cops just need to keep bullshit under control. They can do this with foot patrols on the corners for the most part like they used to. The cruise staff needs to be on the corners tell ing anybody without a window card to get off the street. They used to do this and that's why there were no stock cars on the street during the cruise.

If there was free parking at the concert site, whether it be the Starlight Ballroom or elsewhere, the cruise could start after the bash and it would be just the right amount of activities. This would cut the amount of police needed to control stuff and result in a great weekend. If the clubs uptown accepted the window cards for parking it would be perfect.

It sounds tough but would be a lot easier to pull of than whats there doing now.

In my opinion, this could be the best thing that could have happened. I hate the drama but it's time for a wake up call.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  5. For information regarding these events please contact: Greater Wildwood Hotel & Motel Association, 1 South State Hwy 47, Wildwood, NJ 08260. Toll Free: 1-800-786-4546 or 609-522-4546 or via email at [email protected].

6. Runwhatyabrung

Runwhatyabrung

I don't know who will see this in time, but being that the show is back on, it needs a boost! As good as the shows are, the cruising has been alomost nil the past few years. Try to contact any individuals and/or clubs who go to the OC, Md show and ask them to come and help out by cruising! If only 5% of the people come, it would be outrageous.
    Almost all of WW Crest motels are almost empty, some with room for whole clubs. Maybe do an impromptu meet at The Bayview Inn sometime during the weekend?

7. Koz

Koz

Sounds good to me! We're all still going and as I understand, the whole show is on. We're at the American Safari, Aztec and Gondolier Motels on the corner of 5700 Ocean Ave. Let's have HAMB meetup.

8. coupe man

coupe man

A group of us from Pa.have been going for years.You have the car show on the boardwalk.The Irish festival in North Wildwood.And the auction at the Convention Center.The beachs aren't crowded and the beer is cold.Whats not to like.Glad to hear the show is back on.We were going anyway.

9. abodyjoe

abodyjoe

*UPDATE*

Gary McGee (at the GWHMA)just called me to confirm the show is still on and he is in the process of making a new flyer and registration form and hoping to get it all in the mail by thurs.. he is sending me extra registration forms... and I will post them when I get em.. he says registration will still be at the Imperial 500 and will only be $30 this yr and that we will get more for 30 then we did for $55 in the past... so spread the word!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.facebook.com/gwhma

GREAT NEWS! We have been requested by the City of Wildwood in cooperation with The Greater Wildwoods Tourism and Improvement Development Authority (GWTIDA) to produce a Fall Car Show and Monster Truck Races.

A Classic Car Show WILL take place September 20-23 and Monster Truck Races on the beach will occur the following weekend September 28-30.

"I am very happy to be able to team up with the Greater Wildwood Hotel and Motel Association and GWTIDA to partner in hosting these popular events," said Mayor Troiano. "The City of Wildwood appreciates their co-operation in stepping up to the plate to rescue these key events. We pooled our reasources to make sure these shows go on as planned."

YAY! We hope to see you in September! Please call 609.522.4546 for more information!

10. Koz

Koz

Hot Damn!!!!!!

11. yea how bout a HAMB meet in wildwood....

12. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

Ill be at the Park Lane Motel

13. Koz

Koz

Let's pick a spot and time and let the rest of the guys on here know. I know there are a bunch of people on this forum who have not posted in this thread but are going. Maybe Saturday noon at the front of Convention Hall or if we want to The Oceanic Bar the same time?

14. saturday at noon in front of the convention center -look for the HAMB banner!!!

15. Koz

Koz

Works for me! Why don't you pop up a thread just for the meetup so that it doesn't get confused with the title of this one.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  16. Runwhatyabrung

Runwhatyabrung

Although I won't have a car to bring, a friend or 2 are coming. I know I mentioned this before, but does anyone know any people or groups going to the OC Md show? Can some of you try to get some of them to come to Wildwood? The OC show is huge and if they get the word that the Wildwood show is trying to get back to where it was, it may pick up some momentum. Also, folks should cruise the Crest more. Everyone usually cruises midtown where it's congested. Just sayin.....

17. Koz

Koz

I'm rolling the family truckster as well and I'm also trying to get the guys who do the Myrtle Beach run to give it a shot. When Hotrodsurfer gets a thread up we'll see how many HAMB guys are going.

18. RTS1

RTS1

That is really great news! I will not be able to attend, since I live on the West Coast, but I read all the posts and knew that you guys would not let this show die. That is the power of people! I do not belong to any car clubs, but if I did, I am sure the feeling would be the same. Have a great time and stay cool!

19. geezerkat

geezerkat

The last time I had a wildwood doin's canceled I had to do it by hand!!!!

20. jimpopper

jimpopper

As an update to how the Wildwood Fall Classic Show is going, Friday and Saturday the police were setting moving ambushes all evening - no warnings - no leniency.
    Chirp your tires - no burnout - one gearchange worth - $85.00 Fine. I still enjoy the boardwalk show but any around town travel from now on will be in the tow pick up.
    Not the place to cruise. After I received my citation, I saw their lights 26 times the next two hours from my vantage point. They are killing a good time and this show will fade away if the Police keep building their Christmas Party and Donut/Coffee Fund these two days. These high strung engines need to rev occasionally without fear of a ticket. Wildwood is a great venue - just don't cruise - or stay home.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Is that THIS year or 2 years ago. Like this thread. Can't blame this on the engines. Tires chirp because someone mashes the go pedal.

22. jimpopper

jimpopper

This year as in yesterday. Carbs load up and after an hour of idling around, tend to buck and chirp the tires when the load changes. A warning would have been more appropriate and much appreciated. If the police are the same during your visit to the TROG, you better put together a Ticket Fund.

23. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

So...you like to show off for civilians by chirping your tires or doing a burnout because your high strung engine is loading up and needs to breathe...on public streets...and you are complaining about being harassed by police officers that don't want you doing that...and you open a 2 year old thread to voice your opinion...ok, I got it now.

kidcampbell71 and tfeverfred like this.
  24. jimpopper

jimpopper

What you got is a warning that if you do anything in the Wildwood NJ island that even looks like traffic violation, you will be ticketed. If you are able to always live within the confines of the law, what are you doing here? Being the correct police?
    There is no current thread about the Wildwood Boardwalk Show.

25. uncle buck

uncle buck

What I get from this is the police dept is doing its job. Most people have no problem driving within the law without the audience. From my past experience , its the stupidity and showing off by a small amount of people the create the problems where many shows and cruises get cancelled. Common sense isn't common any more

26. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Great car shows have been ruined by guys just doing a little chirping or burnout, then another guy has to outdo him, and another gets in the act, and soon all hell breaks loose. Either the cops get WAYYY too enthusiastic about enforcing the law, or they cancel the show!
    Keep your display of speed confined to the race track, and a good show will not go away!

27. jimpopper

jimpopper

No tickets since 1988. I stand judged by my peers. I'll go my merry way and quit buying speed parts because stock engines run smooth and are easily controlled. Thanks for your support.

28. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Its called controling a venue.Four foot chirps and crowds dont mix.If a car loads up on the street in traffic maybe keep it in static display mode.

29. As far as ROG goes, I don't even remember seeing a cop when I was cruising around last year. I don't worry about it much though as I don't act the fool while I'm on public streets, especially crowded venues like beach towns.