Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects WilDhair 50 Shoebox build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4rod, Mar 29, 2013.

1. 4rod

4rod

Well,it finally happened, I got a 50 shoebox!!...Sheet metal pretty straight, rust in the usual places, rot in inner fenders and rockers, as well as passenger door and lower cowl...It has a 302 from a 68 Mustang, tranny is original 3 speed mated to 302...This is what I get to start with...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Going to tackle the rockers and floors first!!!more to come

2. Nice score! Good to start with a complete car. Wish my 51 had been like that. Now all you need it Time and $$$. Lot's of $$$. Don't forget next weekend is Portland Swap meet. A good place to find those little things you might need.
    The Wizzard

3. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Looks like a decent car to start with.

4. 4rod

4rod

Yes amazing CL find...talked the PO down to 2K...I'm looking for some extra parts like, Grill pieces rear truck latch etc. those can get expensive...we don't have a chrome shop close by, so, I'll have to salvage what I can

5. Some think 50 and 51 turn signal housings are the same, but they are not. I don't know for sure about the trunk latches 50-51. I believe I still may have the set off my 51 if it would work for ya. I'm over the Hill from ya in Vancouver.
    Here is a shot of my 51 to help inspire ya. Just shows what bad lighting can do for a paint job done in a 2 car garage.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

6. Seems typical but if it's basicly straight it's a bonus. Buildable that's for sure.

7. Looks like a pretty good car to start with. HRP

8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Looks like a great start! I have a few grille pieces laying around. What do ya need?

9. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Great shoebox project and looks like a great start!

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats - post pics as you go. lots of shoebox info here.

11. 4rod

4rod

flathead pete...i'm looking for the passenger side grill that's above the parking light...It wraps around and finishes the main grill...however, As you can see The grill is pretty rusted,so any pieces you have I interested...:)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  12. 54rat210

54rat210

13. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

nice starting place,welcome to the club

14. outlaw256

outlaw256

man looks like you got a great place to start. when i was a young gun i had a 49 coupe.flathead v8 and 3 speed in the floor. loved that car but girlfriend wanted a car with a heater so like a dumbass i traded it off.made me sick so i got rid of the girl too...40 yrs later i just bought a 51. like the body style but i aint to fond of the grille.mines alot worse than yours but ill drop in a 429 and then worry about how it looks.good luck and keep us up to date....

15. 4rod

4rod

wanted to get to the rocker panels today to see what the damage was so I stripped off the surface rust, and was quite surprised, several pin holes to cut out and replace, but totally patchible, after grinding down I hit the area with some primer to keep it from flash rusting, I'll do the patch work next week...More to come.
    [​IMG]

And grinding down and primed Don't worry I'll work on the door pillars as well, Nothing left unattended...:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. 4rod

4rod

I have a question, when when prepping the floor, have any of you sealed the seams with caulking?

17. 4rod

4rod

I do plan on sealing the floor with por-15...that is what I've used in the past

18. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Use a seam sealer body caulking sold online or in your auto paint shop. Its made specifically for car autobody work and it wont react to the primers paint etc.

19. 4rod

4rod

cool that's what I was thinking...thanks

20. 4rod

4rod

took out the seats, ground to metal, primed which is easier to see the holes and un wanted's. Not major but some metal work needs to be done, also, took the dash out getting ready for paint...ordering a rebal wire kit from Hamber David [email protected]. Thanks man!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Its coming a long...lot done today

21. 4rod

4rod

for the floor I might do a spray in bed liner, anyone done that?

22. 4rod

4rod

got some new shoes
    [​IMG]

23. 4rod

4rod

on the car...Not bad, not bad at all, need to do some lowering, but its nice to see them on...:)
    [​IMG]

24. Looks like you've got a great start, digging the whitewalls. For the interior if it was me I'd use Lizard Skin instead of spray-in bedliner. How much are you planning to lower it?

25. 4rod

4rod

I'm looking at 3 in the back and 2 1/2 to 3 in front...Not doing bags, want to keep it somewhat reasonable...and traditional...yet it does have a 302 in it. Here's where I'm at today...
    [​IMG]

getting engine pulled soon, alternator, clean the frame rails and paint

[​IMG]

26. Could be worse, could be an SBC. I'm sure you've seen this elsewhere, but front springs from an Aerostar should be perfect for the drop you want. As far as the back goes, Jamco makes lowering blocks or you can roll your own ;)

What's the plan for the rear axle?

27. 4rod

4rod

critch...almost funny...SBC..., nothing wrong with a SBF especially from 1968...J code series...Looking for another flathead, however...Yes have heard of aerostar springs, as for the rear end...looking for a mav to get in there...for now its a stocker along with the stock 3 on the tree...

28. daddio211

daddio211

Cool build man, I'm hitching a ride!

And don't buy anything from Jamco, you'll be lucky if you ever receive it!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

29. Nice start for sure. That motor sure sits high thou. Is that the way it was installed?

30. Another rearend option that's a lot easier to find is the 8.8 axle from an Explorer, shortened 3 inches on the right to center the pinion. They usually have a good ratio, disc brakes and some even have Trac-loc. Maverick is a lot closer to a straight up bolt in though. I agree though nothing at all wrong with an SBF. That's what I'll be using in mine. As far as jamco is concerned I've heard that before, they were just the first company that came to mind.