Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Why Spreader Bar?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fergusonic, Nov 20, 2014.

1. fergusonic

fergusonic
    from Kokomo, In

What is the reason for a Spreader Bar..... besides to hold a front license plate on?

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Makes for a stronger bumper mount. Bob

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

yep

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Sooooo, how many cars (lets think ford) came with them from the factory? None really after '32. The model forties had a spare tire mount on the rear kind of same idea as the '32. I don't know about model A's.

5. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Gives you a place to hang your fog lights?

6. Yeah! HRP

[​IMG]

7. You talking front, back or both? Í cant stand V'ed spreaders, way too street rodderish. JW

pat59, Dean Lowe and Weezy1930 like this.
  8. I should imagine they also helped to prevent flexing of the frame fore & aft. Flexing would eventually cause the rivets holding the cross members in place to fail. Now, with boxed frames, welded in cross members and stronger center X members the spreader bars aren't really needed. But I wish I had one on my coupe to mount my license to.

9. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

The cross-members on the frame that support the cross leaf are Vee shaped.
    Any vertical loads exerted on the chassis rails [at the cross-members] would try to spread the rails.
    By adding spreader bars actually creates a triangle at the ends of the frame [looking at it from the front or rear view] and also increases torsional stiffness.
    This "triangle" can look deceiving because the frame horns drop down, but the load points through the rails are the same.
    The deep X shaped cross-member in the middle of the frame also increases torsional stiffness [similar to a modern backbone frame]

loudbang likes this.
  10. For scaring turtles.

Ron Funkhouser and OL 55 like this.
  11. swifty

swifty

You saying Joe Nitti was a "Street Rodder"???

12. Yeah, he's as bad as that McGee fella!

13. The Bob Mcgee roadster had shorten my roadster &Bob\'s 3w 011 (640x480).jpg front frame horns and a V'ed spreader bar. I'd say that car is a real Hot Rod. Here's an example of what I think is a tasteful spreader bar.

14. Just an opinion. JW

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. alchemy

alchemy

Every Ford from 32 on up had a bolt in spreader or permanent crossmember at the rear of the frame. The front spreader was actually only used in 32, but the frame was significantly upgraded with the second layer of channel beginning in 33. And the 33 front crossmember is way more substantial than a 32.

Most (all?) of the aftermarket spreaders sold for 32's are too thin and don't have strong end plates. They are just for looks, not adding rigidity.

X38 and Hotrodmyk like this.
  16. I kinda get where JW is coming from.

I think cars like the McGee roadster with it's V'ed spreader bar is bitching but I believe what JW was eluding to was the exaggerated chrome spreader bars that stick out in front of the car like a snow plow. HRP

Weezy1930 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  17. belair

belair

It's where old cams go to die.

18. They double as a "bumper" in some states. :rolleyes:

As Alchemy suggested most over the counter spreader bars are for looks. But built correctly they will ad rigidity to the frame. V'd or not they only reason to run one is for strength, unless of course you are getting show points for one. ;)

19. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

In 1932 Ford billed their new and improved frame as having 5 crossmembers. 2 of them being the front and rear bolt in spreader bars.

20. I'm with you on the V'd spreaders. But, they do serve a purpose. They do a good job of keeping the tow rope centered!

21. Actually if you built it double with the lower just skimming the ground and slightly forward of the upper and some vertical bars filling the gap they make good cow catchers. :rolleyes: :D

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  22. This kinda stuff is fugly and like JW said...too street roddy! o_O HRP

[​IMG]

26 T Ford RPU and Hotrodmyk like this.
  23. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Go read your '32 service bulletins...there's a lecture on their function, and on replacing the spare tire mount with a straight one if converting car to side mount.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. Thanks Danny, it just seems they get put on too many nice 32's and spoil the lines. There are always exceptions to the rule as shown above. JW

25. Guess it's just a personal thing, I like 'em both, but my roadster prefers the V'eed version. 1488228_783998798281643_536997705_n (1) (2) (1) (1).jpg

26. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

That's for sure! Fill them up with LED's....yeah...that's a good idea..LOL

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  27. Actually there was a very famous deuce roadster but I can't remember the guys name, that had a Vd spreader bar as I recall. it was black, with a flatty full hood, the cowl was cut back into the doors like a model 40 and the exhaust poked out through the frame. I wish I could remember the guys name, maybe someone can remember from my description so I can go find an example.

OK disregard everything I just said I was thinking about the Doan Spencer roadster and it had a Vd nerf bar not a spreader bar until a later iteration when he no longer owned it. Sorry.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  28. My old roadster sported a straight spreader bar. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  29. I see it as the 32 has perfect curves and nearly straight lines and the V'd front spreader bar contradicts these line, IMO !! JW

30. terry48435

terry48435

Faux "Bumper". Keeps the lawman happy.