Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Why do people call...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike VV, Feb 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

For years I've heard a rearends' differential referred to as a "third member" or "center section" or "pumpkins" but what the hell is a "chunk".

2. I've heard them called "hogs heads", but I call them "punkins".

loudbang likes this.
  3. 117harv

117harv

Why do long time members comment on threads that they know will be locked/deleted?

The rims thing gets me too, it seem the world has gone ghetto. Lets start calling Hot wheels, (hot rims), or the big car show (World of Rims) or carrying the front wheels on a car at the strip a rimlie? And how about shortening a rear end?, narrowing it is what I have always said. I guess if you are looking at it from the side it applies.......

4. In the NE, people called them chuck style..Kinda make sense after looking at it.
    Once I got down south, they'd call them chunks. Thought it might just be a malaprop, but then I heard someone say they were gonna chunk something out the window....So apparently chunk and chuck are interchangeable in certain parts of the country.

loudbang likes this.
  5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hey George that reminds me..........
    Remember in the 70/80's when the Pro Stock boys hid all their intake manifold modifications from their competitors with cardboard.

6. We used to call these "Mericans"

cd_VN309_TTO_Painted_125.png

7. That was 10 days ago... o_O;):D

8. We always called them Pumkins - maybe third member once in a while, didn't hear Chunk till I came on here.
    Because we can't help ourselves?

It does? o_O What is a "Chuck Style"? Lost me there

That's cuz that is an American!
    We always just called em 5 Spokes (or 5 spoke Americans) - and NO that did not include Cragars!!!!!

falcongeorge, Montana1 and 117harv like this.
  9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

ditto. Same thing around here, we calleds Cragars Cragars, Torq Thrust or torq thrust look-alikes "five spokes", slots were called slots or aluminum slots, and Halibrands and their look-a-likes were called halibrands. How hard is that...:rolleyes:

Atwater Mike likes this.
  10. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

That day still lives. It lives on in our language in a sense terms like these are spice in our lives where shadows of our history still live.

Look at the term buck. It cost ten Bucks.
    This dates to the 18th Century Deerskin Trade when a buckskin was worth close to a Spanish Dollar.
    What about when you "cock" a firearm? Cock dates to the flintlock mechanism. The Flintcock resembled a rooster.
    Let the blade down. From the days of steam Locomotives and semiphore signals...blade down..open track or high speed permitted.
    High Ball is similar.
    There's many many more.....thousands.

falcongeorge likes this.
  11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That dizzy and carby are "spot on". It's just what you get from others in our fraternity of Lovers of Old Cars that were not born in the USA. Just don't expect me to use the words, but you will hear "right on" from me along with Americans for Torque Thrusts and Channel Locks for slips joint pliers or as my dad said water pump pliers. :D

Atwater Mike and loudbang like this.
  12. I guess you had to think of it as the ring gear being like on a drill chuck, and the pinion being the chuck key.
    I didn't make it up..Just passing it along.

Montana1 likes this.
  13. OK, I didn't get the reference to a drill chuck - I'll keep calling it a Pumpkin though LOL

Montana1 likes this.
  14. We used to call these Cr-a-a-a-gars. Ya kind a hafta dra-a-g it out a little... :D

cragar-series-0861-ss-super-sport.png

Atwater Mike likes this.
  15. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

I think its kind of like the Kleenex or Tampon. I mean the word rag has alot of definitions.

American slang is unique.The English have a ton of interesting slang words. Not to mention N Minnesota . The language used to describe things is as important as American culture gets.Its really a throwback to the very days ,as far as I can say,this forum is about. Mag,slots,whatever,you still know what is being talked about. So go get some suds and have a couple wafers

Bandit Billy and wraymen like this.
  16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I got the cam for my olds shipped in a piece of abs pipe. Should I call it a "plastic" cam??:D

Montana1 likes this.
  17. Sorry Don, I meant to say "Mericans", I can't type fast enough tonight!!! :D

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Around here, everyone used to pronounce it "Crageeer":D I wont even say what we used to call those stamped steel chrome slots, it would qualify as a racial slur...:eek:

Montana1 likes this.

19. We called them " stolen" if they showed up on any of our guy's cars.

20. You started it George... :p:D

falcongeorge likes this.
  21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Hell yes. cardboard and duct tape, or if you were REAL trick, Holiday Inn towels and duct tape, then just before they called you to the lanes, you would soak the towels with ice water!

Montana1 likes this.
  22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

In my old and dusty world, and generically, rims = ANY type of wheels. I've heard that term used for decades, as in "nice set of rims." "Mags" are cast wheels, real magnesium or of other alloys. Two part wheels with cast centers and steel or alloy outers are NOT mags. Correction: Cast and then machined aluminum wheels (slots) are NOT Mags either. And fully machined wheels from alloys are fucking BILLET wheels. Gary
    PS Motors are electric. Ask any electrician.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  23. bchctybob

bchctybob

That "dizzy and carby" stuff had to float over from some far away land. I never read or heard it until 6-7 years ago. I won't be using those terms in this lifetime.
    As for the Ansens; we called 'em Ansen Sprints and I always thought of them as a cheap version of a Halibrand Sprint until I went to Halibrand to buy wheels and he refused to sell them to me for street use. I still thought of them as a cheap version of a Halibrand Sprint but I was starting to understand (but not like) the effects of "liability".
    American Tq Thrusts were "5 spoke Americans".

mrbeetle and Montana1 like this.
  24. I never heard dizzy or carby before I got on HAMB about 2 years ago... Now I consider myself well cultured! :cool:

bchctybob likes this.
  25. Knew a few guys who called them Craggers..Just like it's spelled.
    We had an insensitive name for those cheap basket wire wheels..also one for those ugly things that stick out over the top of a windshield.

26. Thanks 117harv for joining in our fun tonight. I needed this for therapy. :)

117harv likes this.
  27. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Never heard of a hydraulic motor?

MO_JUNK likes this.
  28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I NEVER heard wheels called rims until about 15 years ago. NEVER. Just wasn't done. I never really hung around the mini-truck/lowrider crowd though.

29. As long as you don't use the English "Suck on a Fag" ........

30. Hmmm. I seem to remember "reversed rims". Pretty common in the 50's, 60's

Atwater Mike and Montana1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.