Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Who makes 35 ford forged dropped axles?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by solo_909, Feb 22, 2017.

1. solo_909

solo_909

Hey fellas, anyone know who makes 35 ford forged dropped axles? The only ones I can find are 37-48's. I don't want to buy new spindles and would like to use my stock set up minus posie springs.

I've reach out to a few people who drop the stock axles but it seems like they have a really hard time communicating so I don't really want to pay someone who can't give me a time line on how long it would take.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Do any of the droppers you contacted have one in stock, and trade in yours as a core? That's what I did with Okie Joe on a 33-36 axle. Friend took it to a swap meet he was at, and brought a dropped one back.

LOU WELLS and uncle buck like this.
  3. solo_909

solo_909

I've asked but no response which is the main issue.

4. solo_909

solo_909

I've called him. He doesn't do 35's

5. Fordors

Fordors

That sounds odd. The '33-'36 axles are all the same. Dimensionally they are all alike, in fact the '32 is too, it just uses a forging that makes it look heavier.

6. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might give a a call to the Early Ford Store in San Dimas, CA. He has bunches of second-hand axles for early Fords. Never know. PH: 909-305-1955.

solo_909 likes this.
  7. chopndrop

chopndrop

Are you wanting a new axle or a dropped original? Most new axles are usually advertised as 28-34 or 28-36, but originals were the same 33-36. Additionally, no matter what axle you get, 28-48, new or aftermarket, spindles will work on any

solo_909 and uncle buck like this.
  8. AULIZ

AULIZ

Magnum makes.
    You have 36 3/8" perch centers.

Or You can use another Company axle which is made that perch centers.
    I think Socal Speedshop have forged axle that perch centers. You can choose 48, 47,... king pin centers.

A

solo_909 likes this.
  9. lucky13

lucky13

I tried contacting Anson Axles a couple times and never heard back. I sent mine to Okie Joe's and got it back about 6 weeks later. The axle turned out great, and Joe called back within a couple hours of me leaving a message.

solo_909 likes this.
  10. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I asked Sid about no doing pre 1937 axles and he said he didn't do them because there were several other people doing them.

solo_909 likes this.
  11. solo_909

solo_909

Spoke with SoCal today and they said it wouldn't work with my 35 stock suspension as the measurements are different.

I looked at magnums but could only find chrome and that's not really my style.

12. solo_909

solo_909

I'm okay with either I just thought if I'm having an issue getting the guys who drop the original stuff to respond back to emails, phone calls, ad messages I'd rather just get a forged since it's strong. It would be nice to have my original axle dropped though.

13. solo_909

solo_909

Awesome! Looks like they have what I need! I appreciate it

Surf City likes this.
  14. alchemy

alchemy

Nailhead Jason and solo_909 like this.
  15. I just sent my axel last week to okie joe. I called him on Monday and left a message, he called me right back and said sorry he had the torch going and didn't hear the phone ringing. Talked to him about what I wanted and he told me he was really busy and sorry to tell me that it would be 4-8 weeks. He also asked me to send my spindles so he could match them for the 4" drop. And I'm also having him put new king pins and bushings in. He said he would rather tell me 4-8 weeks and get them back to me in 3 then tell me 3 weeks and I don't see them for 5.

16. AULIZ

AULIZ

Socal 48" axle with 2" Boss = 36.5" perch center. You can use this one.
    P&J 1103 47 3/4" with 2" Boss = 36.5" perch center. You can use this one.
    Magnum 2800 48" with 2" Boss = 36 3/8" perch center. You can use this one.

I have sold those all axles to my customers here in Scandinavia.
    1932 - 1936 Ford when using stock wishbone.

AULIS

solo_909 and Nailhead Jason like this.
  17. solo_909

solo_909

Hmm, strange! SoCal told me yesterday that their axle wouldn't work with my 35 stock set up.

1932-36 width 51 3/4", 36 3/8", 2"

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Chassis Engineering, high quality forged.
    I did hear that they might be in between forge vendors or repairing tooling, not sure.

19. chopndrop

chopndrop

I agree with AULIZ. Any of the wider aftermarket axles made for the 31" spring and 2" boss should work. However, I would expect you may need to modify your steering arms regardless of which way you go for clearance.

solo_909 likes this.
  20. Mark T

Mark T

Thunderbirdesq here on the HAMB also drops axles, he did a '33-'34 axle for me and it turned out great.

Hot Rod Deluxe just featured him in the magazine, a nice article about him dropping axles. Here is a link to the article; http://www.hotrod.com/articles/guys-drop-hot-rod-axles-old-fashioned-way/

Here is his contact info;
    Andy Kohler
    Williamsport PA.
    570-494-7362

You can also check out his work on instagram, search
    ''kohlerkustom''

solo_909 likes this.
  21. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I was there few weeks ago and i saw a pile of them at there:

IMG_4562 (Custom).JPG

22. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I had a similar great experience with Sid on my 37 axle. He dropped my axle and stretched it to maintain the king pin to king pin length, sold me a set of spindles and installed new king pins, shot peened the axle and bent the steering arms to match the drop and it even showed up painted. I think it took me 6-8 weeks at the time about a year ago but I couldn't be happier with the quality and service.

solo_909 likes this.
  23. solo_909

solo_909

Thanks fellas!

24. solo_909

solo_909

IMG_8716.PNG

Hey guys so I found this and a bunch of other parts I needed from Early Ford so I'm going to get the axle from here.

My next question is how do I choose the correct reverse eye posie? I don't understand the measurements and there seems to be a ton out there. Thanks!!

25. chopndrop

chopndrop

Thought you wanted forged? That ad doesn't specify, would be worth the question. I would also ask them how much a dropped original would be since they seem to have those. For $275 you can buy an orignal Ford axle that has been dropped from others.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  26. solo_909

solo_909

I did but since most of the forged ones requires me to change other pieces or have things modified I'm fine with cast. To me it doesn't matter if it's a repop or oem.

27. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Don't even think about going with a cast front axle!!!! The cast repop front axles are all made in China and are prone to breakage. There have been several instances on here where a cast front axle has been reported broken. That's right, a piece of the front axle just fell off!!!! Chassis Engineering and genuine Henry Ford axles are both forged and these are the only two axles I would even consider putting underneath any of my cars. My personal preference is of course the Henry Ford axle. They are USA made and not one has ever failed in 80 years. Don't risk your life or anyone else's on here by trying to save a few bucks. Get yourself a forged axle!

28. Man don't buy a cast axel. And if you do please don't take anyone with you for a ride especially any kids that will be future hotrodders. Cast axels break and if you don't care then buy one and take the risk. Sit back a min. And think about why everyone here is saying buy a Henry ford or chassis eng. forged axel. Save a few more bucks and save lives.

29. solo_909

solo_909

I not know that. So can either of you guys find me a 35 4" dropped forged axle? I don't want to change out other parts and I don't want to modify anything but the steering arms and reverse eye posies.