Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who has the best car collection?...Jay Leno?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAILEIGH INC, Mar 4, 2010.

1. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

Not the biggest, but George Poteet has some impressive cars in his collection.
    My story concerning Kurt McCormich occurred at one of the Night Porwletrs Open House parties.
    I had obtained an ok 48 Plymouth coupe from HotrodHon and drove it to Night Prowlers party.
    My wife and I had eaten, looked the cars over and settled in our lawn chairs for a comfortable afternoon visiting with folks.
    Kurt had driven one of his Barris cars and while folks were ogleing it, Kurt wandered over, looked my old Coupe over and sat down and visited with the wife and I foe the best part of a half hour and constantly talked about my car.
    It just does not get any better than that.
    I met Jay Leno at Kansas City much the same way. He came by where I had my 62 Impala parked by by Brother in law's 54 Ford convert.
    Jay looked both over pretty good and talked with Dave and me for quite a while.
    Billy gibbons did the same at Cruisin the Coast event.
    Shortly after that event Billy had a 62 built.
    These guys are car guys and love to talk cars. When it comes to cars, they are regular guys.
    George Poteet sat ans talked, drank beer one Saturday afternoon at the Des Moines Good Guys show.
    The Trapaniers were displaying his Sniper.
    I had no idea who I was visiting with until after the show, but his beer was cold and he was very friendly.
    I will always treasure those memories.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

And that's after the county made them sell off a lot of cars that were outside. They said they couldn't keep cars that were outside and unfinished or not running, so they had a big auction and sold whatever they thought were not worth keeping. The "culls". My Austin was one of the culls that got sold.

3. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Hamb friendly? Doesn`t Jeff Beck have a large assortment of `32s stashed all over? How about the late Ray Gollihan? Between him and Chuck there was quite a collection of old significant rods.

4. Ebert

Ebert

Can't pick just one, but I dig the collections of:
    Mumford
    McCormick
    Meyer
    Speedy Bill

Happy New Year!
    E

5. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Its a shame the public will never see his collection.

6. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Don't forget Ralph Marano.The man owns every year of Packard Darrins built.Plus some hot rods,a chopped Merc,plus some one off cars.

7. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

How about Steve Plunkett up in Canada.He holds that Fleetwood County car show every year.

8. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

What ever happened to Jim Walker in Ohio?. Nice collection of early Customs.

9. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Wow Loosenuts it took me about an hour to read that!:rolleyes:

10. 38zephyr

38zephyr

I think the Nethercutt collection and the building they are in is pretty far up there . Ralph Lauren's is way up there also . Bruce Meyer has the Hot rods , Gullwing Mercedes , 427 Cobra , right Ferraris etc. that I would want if money was no object . Nick Alexander's woodies and the killer building was pretty breathtaking to me also . My Wife and I were lucky enough to see Jay Leno's collection in person and it's pretty cool having huge airplane hangars full of killer stuff , but even better , I see him all the time on Mulholland hauling ass by my house on the way to the Rockstore in them . I think way better than a museum full of stuff that hasn't been started in 30 years .

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  11. that is quite possibly the longest post ever.

12. Jade

Jade

The Sultan of Brunei, or whoever the hell he is, has very possibly the worst car collection I've ever heard of. Anyone with that much money who owns more Toyotas than Fords, or Chevys is very possibly the dumbest sunuvabitch ever hatched. Too much time in the desert I think.

13. RubberGears

RubberGears

14. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Since cars we meant to be driven and Leno drives his, I vote for Leno. Some others probably own more static displays.

15. Gsnickets

Gsnickets

ralph lauren definitely takes it for me.

16. Doug B

Doug B

Best as in 'I wish those cars were mine'? I'd go with Cameltoe. Don't know if he's kept everything he ever built as a collection, but I'd like to tour his barn.... I bet Leno doesn't have a Rolling Bones built car in his museum....

17. Joe Grippo

Joe Grippo

18. I'd have to say Bruce Meyer

19. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

While other collections may have stories and history about their cars, the history of Bruce Meyer's collection does it for me.

20. screwball

screwball

I was about to quote loosenuts post with the ever so present (this post is useless without pics) comment but thought he might melt the server.

21. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

History regarding the collection or each car's history?? Can we get the Reader's Digest condensed version? His collection is one I've been looking forward to seeing for years.

22. Reindeer

Reindeer
    from Finland

I wonder if the collectors get any kicks of visiting any car shows since they are living in a car show.
    Also I don't understand why they need to get everything, is it just because the overflowing money has to go somewhere.
    Rare cars or anything rare expensive stuff under one roof in a big risk even if insured.
    And every collector will die as all others. So why bother collect anything more than could be used.

23. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Are you talking about the guy who sells paint at home depot??.....LOL...Sorry I could not help myself...LOL

As for me the best hot rod collection I have ever seen, Was at what used to be an old salvage yard I visted about 11 years ago.....Model A's everywhere, A few 32's and About a dozen 33-34's Old SOB even has a 37 willys coupe up there going to waste, He's like 90 years old and won't sell nothing...This may sound bad but I have been waiting for him to die off So I can maybe buy somthing from his oldest boy....My luck he will out live me...LOL

24. Swifster

Swifster

Clive Cussler of Dirk Pitt novels fame has a nice museum up in Colorado. Many of his cars have 'stared' in his novels.

25. 41fastback

41fastback

A 9 min video http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=WbN_BAn55a4&pop_ads=null

26. Larry T

Larry T

27. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  28. Anyone of us who has more than one ( okay a small collection ) is the best because we get to drive them whenever we want to. I'd rather drive than look at them. My $.002

29. scott killeen

scott killeen

You guys are pathetic! Nine pages of this and that...

Robert E Petersen (RIP), you know that guy? Hot Rod #1 yeah him...He bought and drove cars with as much passion as Leno does now...He had the taste for Ferrari's so much in 1956 he flew to the factory and bought his first one. He setup that museum with his name on it the Petersen Museum...

30. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM