Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which is more cost effective: Buy a crate motor or rebuild a 283

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, Jan 23, 2011.

1. I bought a 290HP 350 from Pace Performance for $3200 delivered...came complete from air cleaner to oil pan. Also came with a new serpentine belt drive system with a/c compressor, alternator, power steering pump, and water pump.

2. BinderRod

BinderRod

3. HRod 50

HRod 50

Crate bud, no one will build you and warranty you a motor for anywhere near the time a crate motor can. Just my .02cents but I don't build anything....

4. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

oh yeah $200 for pistons/etc. If the girls keep crying, don't buy the aluminum heads.

5. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Cool factor
    No brainer for me, 283

6. I build my own motors with the help of friends. I'm not really trying to save money. I'm in hot rodding for the experience. I never built a motor until I built the first one. It is not rocket science.

You never know what your core engine will need. It is like a crap shoot. You may get one that needs everything. And then again, you might get lucky. The 283 that is going in my Model A was given to me. Had fresh machine work and forged flat top pistons. Not counting the tri-power and valve covers I have about $600 in it.

Attached Files:

7. F&J

F&J

You must be an old time hotrodder ;):cool:

8. Rock Island Rocket

Rock Island Rocket

283! 283! not much difference in cost, 283 would be way cooler, better be a light car though

9. mlagusis

mlagusis

Cheaper way is not always the best way. I am not a fan of crate motors just for principal purposes. I would rather give my money to a local machine shop then to some other country just to save a few bucks. Plus I like 283's...just a good running motor.

What car is this going in...sorry if you posted it already and I missed it.

10. sdelisle

sdelisle

To me it comes down to what you want out of the experience. If you want it done and to drive it then go crate. If you enjoy the process of the rebuild then assume a much longer cycle time and rebuild it. I'm a rebuilder so very biased but the pride of building it myself is well worth the few extra bucks. In either case though, have lots of fun 'cause that's what its all about.

SteveD

11. Here's the deal.

You can build the 283 on a budget but it takes time to get all the components together. Plus, your gambling on the assembly.

I say buy the crate and run it in the driver.

Put the 283 on a stand and build it for fun in your spare time. Slide it off in a cool project when it's done.

End of problem...

12. DougHH

DougHH

I waited for a rebuilt 283 to turn up on ebay australia for my 59 chev. came w/ most accessories, starter, flywheel, 2 sumps, 15 thousand km since rebuild, mild cam, semi high manifold, few other mods and shiney bits for like 800 bux AUD. This guy had it shop rebuilt and says it was rebuilt as a 300hp (rear wheel) engine. We'll see about that but hey. i have it on my father in law's shed floor and its nice. A 350 would have been nice because the 59 is so heavy, but i like the 283 and it can be bolted in without having to get engineer certificates because this is an orig factory offered config (currently its a 235 six) which between that and old school cool factor sold me on it. 800 bux it cost me for a pretty fresh engine. in australia that is cheap.

Deals are out there to be had for the quietly patient. Just sayin'

13. I agree that the crate motor is the most cost effective way to go. However the experience and self satisfaction that you will get from doing the work yourself is well worth the cost difference.

14. Gman0046

Gman0046

It's a no brainer. Buy the crate motor. How many rebuild horror stories have you heard?

15. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

It's your decision. You say you've never rebuilt one, now may be the time to learn. There's great satisfaction building your first motor, you only do it once. In the end, doing it yourself & doing it right will cost ya a bit more.

However- a crate motor is ready to go & has a warranty.

16. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I bought EVERYTHING separate ... which is NOT the best way to buy ... BUT I got the parts I wanted and the brands I wanted. The rockers, push rods, lifters and pieces came from the Chevy dealer. The rest was bought at the speed shop. My engine had BETTER stuff than a crate engine. Yes, it was balanced. But it was also twice the money. I built the engine to keep. I had owned the car for awhile and had no intentions of selling it. Then I got 1932 Ford 3W fever and convinced myself I needed to sell the 40 to build a 32. I did not ... and I have regretted selling the car ever since. The current owner drives it a lot and the engine runs GREAT ... with no issues. It has developed a small oil leak ... at the front crankshaft seal. :(

17. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

I have done it many ways
    Built stroked, bored 283......cost a fortune
    Had 350 built...... cost a fortune
    Bought 300HP GM crate motor .....cost a bit but not a fortune

Which was more dependable?? ...Crate Motor
    Which was more powerful?....Tie between Pro built 350 and crate motor.
    Which was less hassles?....Crate motor.

Crate Motor will be my next choice on any other project.

18. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

If you buy new yes, you will be nickel and dimed by the long block for $1500

My current engine (I bought it from a friend) was a $600 long block with another $600 in carb/intake/waterpump/fuelpump/balancer easy.

If money is an issue, buy your friend's 283 and rebuild everything including carb. Use a new water and fuel pump. Re-use the distributor.

So you're up to $200

Disassemble the heads yourself, have the machine shop do a valve job on them for around $200 and put them back together yourself. you may or may not have to pay for them to be hottanked, $40-60

get a cheap engine rebuild kit, spend $100 for bearings and rings, or $300 if you want new pistons and cam.

I wouldn't do a bit of machine work unless you absolutely *have* to .

But you'll know that just by tearing it down and you'll only be $100 into it and still have the block as a core if you decide to get an exchange engine.

With a little luck all you'll need to do is run a hone in the bores and call it done, borrow one from a friend.

You don't even need to spend $200 on the valve job, just get the carbon off the valves with a wire wheel, use new seals for $20? and clean the heads real good with oven cleaner or something. I've seen shops grinding valves for $1 each, do that and lap them into the heads.

Nope, it's not the 'right' way for lots of guys these days, but I'll tell you what, it's the way tons of guys did things before they had tons of money to put into these cars, and it'll probably be fine for whatever you do with the car exept racing.

IMHO most warranties on engines aren't worth a damn, and I've read here on the hamb about GM crate engines being denied.

Some people demand the best and spend $3k plus.

That doesn't mean you can't DIY for 5 or $600 and get a good running engine that'll be hassle free for years and thousands of miles.

I also know guys that spent big $$$ and got a real POS, too.

I'm just saying there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Besides, build it yourself and get the pride of accomplishment that'll last , at least for me, longer than the vehicle :)

Good luck whatever you decide.

19. I agree
    My 283 in my 57 was done by the local shop. I never asked about a warrenty since I figured if done right wasn't a big deal. I also know they stand behind their work. Total cost top to bottom 2200 taxes in and we have 15% tax here.
    Buy local!! and support the folks in your neighborhood!!

20. Last 283 I built was hard to do.

I had to tear down three motors before I found a good set of rings and bearings.
    ;):D

21. mj40's

mj40's

I went with the $1500 crate motor in one of my rides. It was dependable and didn't find any problems because most of the stuff I took off my old motor bolted up fine. As long as it isn’t the Vortec style; the intake, exhaust, starter was no problem. It's not a power horse but great for normal cruising and it came with a GM warrantee.

22. 5window

5window

Do both. Buy the crate motor and get your car on the road. Then rebuild the 283 as you get time, parts and knowledge. Once you get it running right, you can decide if you want to replace the crate motor and sell it, or not. Then,you have a rebuilt motor either way to sell.

No offense to Vandy-I don't rebuild engines-but I don't see how in 2011 you can rebuild any motor with new parts and machine work and make a profit at $1100. Kindly educate me.

23. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

No offence taken, as I posted earlier the parts cost is $ 275 & I pay about $50 for 283 cores. I machine everything in house but the crank. For crank grinds I pay $37.00 so I have under $400 in costs. My basic profit is $500 minimum any motor I build & goes up from there. When I buy 327 cores I usually pay $400 or more, 350's cost me $200. It's really simple math.
    What I don't understand is why anyone would want to buy a Chevy motor made in a foreign country ( Mexico) From a bankrupt car company. I would bet not one person in the assembly room can even read a micrometer.

24. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

If its a 350 crate ,More cubes more bang for your buck ,283 are not alot of cubes .Im sure you can build one thats killer.Id go with the crate ,Plus you get a warranty ,,,,,,

25. 62nova

62nova

Crate motors are boring.

26. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

as builders go you can't get much cheaper than a SBC, but I'd say go crate.

27. woodienut

woodienut
    from So.Cal.

I agree, buy local @ all this mention of warranty, the builder I used said don't worry about breaking it, and if you do bring it back and we'll fix it! That was eleven years ago, beat it like a rented mule everyday and it's still kickin'!
    A 406 ci sb with a Hot hyd. cam & Edelbrock heads, dynoed 400 HP & 470 lbs. torque.

28. yblock292

yblock292

i just bought a new GM 5.7 vortex for my daily, 3 year 100,000 warranty delivered to my front door for $2399, long block test run. I rebuilt my 265 for my shoebox and had more than that in it!

29. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

1) Where are you getting all these 283 cores? Don't worry---i'm not trying to steal your stash, i'm not an engine person; i'm just curious as to wether there are that many 283's around?
    Do you have a website?

2) The basic "goodwrench" crates are made in Mexico, but i'm still trying to confirm if the higher end crates-----i.e., zz4 350, zz383 etc. are built in Michigan by only 2 gm employees?

3) Personally, i would generally go crate because i'm not an engine person. Also, you have to factor in the time----time going to/from machine shop, looking for core(s)/taking chances on cores, putting it all together with precision etc.
    So i believe crate is generally more cost effective for me.

30. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

My question is why does anybody have faith in these warranties?

I saw a guy with a goodwrench engine denied here on the hamb. He thought the warranty would be through a dealer. Nope. Wouldn't touch it.

I'd like to hear somebody that has experience with them besides that.

It seems like 1 in a million engine builder that warranties a bad engine, for whatever reason.